Forum Regular

'Warm' speaker recommendations

Was finally able to do some home auditions last weekend. Had both the Paradigm Studio 60 v4 and Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand for a few days. Head to head I found the 60's to be very nice but just a bit too forward and bright for my taste. My room, at present, adds to bright speakers and I won't be able to do anything about that until I set up shop in my basement (if it ever gets finished). I am also dying to get rid of speakers causing me loads of fatigue!

The Bach's were more laid back with a slightly warm and very musical sound (not to mention very high WAF). Precise and involving yet not too analytical. I think I might have found the 'sound' I am looking for. Unfortunately, I need more of it. The Bach Grands just don't have enough 'guts'. Although they held up admirably I felt like I was pushing them a little past their limit. So....

Does anyone have any recommendations on 'warm' sounding floorstanders. I realize everyone hears things differently but in my search I have come to find that speaker manufacturers tend to have a distinct 'sound' which often even runs through different lines. Wondering if anyone has heard the Bach's and can advise on a brand that might be similar in temperament. My budget is around 2K US$.

I heard some Dali Ikon 6 the other day that might fit the bill - different but slightly laid-back and overall very nice! Will be getting these home for a tryout ASAP and will report back for anyone who is interested.

Thanks

Forum Regular
    I am a B&W fan. Go for the new CM-7's seemed very warm when I tried them...Value for $1300

I will second brooks with B&W, even though I haven't heard the CM-7, I have had the pleasure of auditioning both their 600series and 800 series, both series are 'warm' feeling speakers. But the CM-7's are definately worth your time to check out. Polk Audio also has some speakers worth checking out.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Some people I know find Focal to be warm, perhaps it depends on the speaker because I personally found them to be somewhat neutral (but very pleasant to listen to). Source materials and listening environment might have had something to do with that, or the source equipment. I'd still suggest checking Focals out, they make a nice speaker.

I'd look at Totems, I've found them to be very warm and engaging musically (Totem Sttaf is 1.5k, Hawk is a little over $2k I believe). Also, some PSBs I've heard sounded to be on the warmer side as well although I don't have a model number to suggest.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I second the Totem Sttaf's. Found them warm with rich mids. Listened to a pair of Focal speakers at Tweeter over Christmas. They were marked down from $3995 to $1995. So I would want to hear them again and give them a full audition.

Suspended
    You could give a listen to Vandersteen, they're the epitomy of warmth. I ordinarily don't recommend this brand but you might as well hear how far the spectrum will go. Actually, when we had an Adcom dealer here, they carried Vandies.

What are you using for a source? Sometimes a smoother front end will heal the fatigue. I wouldn't spend big money on speakers to mask another system problem. Also, finding the right cables for your system helps.

I'll definitely second the Vandy's. The 2ce's will fit your budget although be forewarned: Vandy is a "love it" or "hate it" proposition for most people. I've never seen a speaker foster more ardent feelings on either extreme.

Another warm speaker you should consider is Sonus Faber. Beautifully constructed with gorgeous wood veneers, they present a warmly romantic rendition of most music and are very forgiving. Their aesthetics are the epitome of WAF. Trust me, Vienna has nothing on Sonus.

If you can find them, Canton is another warm sounding speaker. They aren't as widely available but they are nicely dynamic, if a bit boomy, and worth seeking out.

Finally, if it's "guts" you're looking for, audition a pair of Von Schweikert VR2's. These are likely the most dynamic speakers that you'll hear for this price and reach down to the mid-20 hz range with authority. They aren't warm per se, but they are very neutral and the soft dome tweeter is sweetly extended without a hint of sibilance. They also have an adjustable rear firing "ambience" tweeter that extends the depth of the soundstage and makes them a little more adaptable to their environment. Beautiful construction and parts quality that rivals speakers costing 3 to 5 times as much.

Finally, I have to disagree with the notion that B&W is warm. I'm a B&W owner and I haven't heard anything from the 802s down to the 605's that would make me think they are warm. Neutral maybe, forward in some systems, but not warm. The D series (diamond tweeter) is voiced quite differently and from what I've read, they are much "warmer" and musical than the S series, but I've not heard them personally and are beyond your price point anyway.

Hope this helps.

Suspended
    I wasn't going to go there but since Topper opened it up, my perception of B&W is not warmth either. The Diamond series to me is less warm, or more extended than the Nautilis. I would say B&W is on neutral ground.

Another speaker that I might say leans toward warm, more sweet than warm, is Thiel. I have only heard one model and it wasn't what I was looking for at the time but the sound was very nice. I'm not much of a passive radiator guy and the bass response of the Dynaudio quickly took my attention.

Forum Regular
    Thanks everyone, great info. My thoughts so far:

I have heard the B&W 603 and 703 and was not very impressed. I would not call them 'warm' either and I don't think they are what I am looking for. Although, I heard them months ago when I first started my search so I think I will take another listen. At the same visit I listened to the Thiel CS1.6 and found them to be much more engaging and musical. I am actually going to pick them up this weekend for a closer listen at home along with a set of Quad 22L.

I have listened to the Focal Cobalt 820 and while they were impressive they didn't really engage me, they seemed dry and very analytical. But I think I will try to hear some other models to be sure. In the same room with the same gear I listened to the Vandy 2ce and actually did like those very much. Unfortunately, I and my wife both think the nylon wrap is just plain unattractive and will definitely not go with our living room decor. Who knows, maybe when I get the basement set up in the future.

Totem I have not heard but from everything I have read here and elsewhere I would definitely like to! Unfortunately, I can't find any help on the web as far as USA dealers. If anyone has any info on dealers in the Chicago area or anywhere even remotely close please let me know.

I have heard PSB T65 and might try to get them home for a listen.
    Also heard Von Schwiekert VR2 (I think?) at same place I listened to the Dali Ikon 6 the other day but after spending so much time with the Dalis I couldn't do a great test on the VS. I will need to go back for a better listen.

The only Sonus Faber I heard was way out of my league! Sounded and looked beautiful though so I will definitely try to hear one of their less expensive offerings. And I have not come across any Cantons so far in my search.

One speaker that blew me away was an older model Snell Type 4? - fast, musical, and full range without being bright, Not exactly warm but very engaging.

I am not really looking for something that goes into the 20Hz region but just a little more oomph than the Bach Grands. As far as source goes that will be the next upgrade I make after the speakers, I know it is much needed.

Thanks for all the input, stuff I have learned here has helped greatly, keep it coming!

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Email Totem and ask them for your local dealers, they'll probably email you everything in your state (as they did for me). I'm very happy with my Rainmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by pkats
    Thanks everyone, great info. My thoughts so far:

I have heard the B&W 603 and 703 and was not very impressed. I would not call them 'warm' either and I don't think they are what I am looking for. Although, I heard them months ago when I first started my search so I think I will take another listen. At the same visit I listened to the Thiel CS1.6 and found them to be much more engaging and musical. I am actually going to pick them up this weekend for a closer listen at home along with a set of Quad 22L.

I have listened to the Focal Cobalt 820 and while they were impressive they didn't really engage me, they seemed dry and very analytical. But I think I will try to hear some other models to be sure. In the same room with the same gear I listened to the Vandy 2ce and actually did like those very much. Unfortunately, I and my wife both think the nylon wrap is just plain unattractive and will definitely not go with our living room decor. Who knows, maybe when I get the basement set up in the future.

Totem I have not heard but from everything I have read here and elsewhere I would definitely like to! Unfortunately, I can't find any help on the web as far as USA dealers. If anyone has any info on dealers in the Chicago area or anywhere even remotely close please let me know.

I have heard PSB T65 and might try to get them home for a listen.
    Also heard Von Schwiekert VR2 (I think?) at same place I listened to the Dali Ikon 6 the other day but after spending so much time with the Dalis I couldn't do a great test on the VS. I will need to go back for a better listen.

The only Sonus Faber I heard was way out of my league! Sounded and looked beautiful though so I will definitely try to hear one of their less expensive offerings. And I have not come across any Cantons so far in my search.

One speaker that blew me away was an older model Snell Type 4? - fast, musical, and full range without being bright, Not exactly warm but very engaging.

I am not really looking for something that goes into the 20Hz region but just a little more oomph than the Bach Grands. As far as source goes that will be the next upgrade I make after the speakers, I know it is much needed.

Thanks for all the input, stuff I have learned here has helped greatly, keep it coming!
    Sounds like you have a number of good options to check out...

As for the B&W 600 and 700 series... I would strongly suggest listening to the CM and 800 series instead... those are currently their newest and IMO easily their two best sounding speaker lines... with the 600 and 700s being vastly inferior (probably due to the fact that they have not been updated in a number of years, while the CM and 800s have both been update in the last year or so)...

nightflier
    Pkats,

I have a pair of piano black Quad 22Ls and must say they are amazing speakers. I wouldn't necessarily say they are that warm, but I can adjust that by switching to a warmer amp in my setup. What I like most about these is their authority. While not as expensive as the other speakers you are considering, I have to say that they easily hold their own against them. Quad keeps costs down by manufacturing them in China, but they are otherwise worthy of the Quad name. And you can put the money you save towards your other components.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of the Quads.

Suspended
    Pkat, just out of curiousity have you heard any Dynaudio?

I like Topspeed's recommendations and Sonus Faber was the brand that immediately came to my mind when I first read your post. I also concur that B&W does not sound "warm" to my ears either.

Another brand aside from Top's SF and VS recommendations you may want to check out is ProAc. I am not their biggest fan, but they may be the kind of speaker you are looking for if SF or VS don't work out (both of those brands I prefer, BTW).

Good luck,

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Vandersteens are supposed to be pretty warm, too, but I haven't heard one myself.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Thanks everyone,

Nightflier, the 22L are on my short list - I am going to pick up a set today for home audition (along with a set of Thiel CS1.6). I heard them briefly in the showroom and they were impressive. They look nice too.

Mr.P, I have heard Dynaudio (the Audience 82) and need to listen to them again, along with some other models. I did love their highs and bass extension.

drseid, the Proacs are among the best looking I have seen - their choice of wood veneers is gorgeous - unfortunately, the ones at my local dealer have been out of my price range. I suppose I should listen to them anyway.

Will report back on the home auditions for anyone interested.

Thanks again!

Suspended
    If nothing else you will have a wealth of speaker experience filed away.

Thread Information