Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Frequency Reponse 20 Hz - 200 kHz
    Impedance 3 ohm
    Subwoofer Power 250 Watt
    Woofer Size 10"

For the price paid ($99 after a $100 rebate) it makes a pretty good addition (see the reviews on this forum) to the low-mid budget set-up but as you can tell it is not well recieved among the "elitist" because of it's association with Sony who have admittedly produced poor subs (muddy/boomy) in the past.
    Nothing indicates that it isn't muddy or boomy, since its design seems similar to others which were. Also that 250 watts isn't qualified as RMS or peak, and 20-200 (I'm hoping that's Hz, not KHz) could be a +/- 10db unless otherwise specified.

yeah, 20hz is total BS... wait, did you say 200 KHz?? wtf?

once upon a time, before you came to this forum, there was a post by some disgruntled member because he didn't get the answer he wanted to his question, so he called us all "elitist jerks", thats where the reference comes from...

(oh, and even with my modest system, I wouldn't dream of putting a sony sub in there...)

Sony makes a few good things, one being TV's, their tube TVs were the best you could possibly get a few years back, now they've moved to plasma and LCD, which they are great at (albeit expensive). They also make very nice high end CD players, even FLO uses one!

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    I found a Yamaha YST-SW015 sub and I'am looking for the lowest prices subs like $100 or less.
    Don't mean to pile on, but I think you need to consider getting a speaker that has a woofer to begin with before you start thinking about adding a sub. The 4" "bass" driver in the HLS410 really is a midrange. According to JBL, it is down 3 db at 75 hz. If you must buy some inexpensive miniature subs, make sure you buy a pair because the relatively high frequencies they contribute are directional.

rw

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    yeah, 20hz is total BS... wait, did you say 200 KHz?? wtf?

once upon a time, before you came to this forum, there was a post by some disgruntled member because he didn't get the answer he wanted to his question, so he called us all "elitist jerks", thats where the reference comes from...

(oh, and even with my modest system, I wouldn't dream of putting a sony sub in there...)

Sony makes a few good things, one being TV's, their tube TVs were the best you could possibly get a few years back, now they've moved to plasma and LCD, which they are great at (albeit expensive). They also make very nice high end CD players, even FLO uses one!
    Audio- No worries here. I understand the background of the "elitist" history. If anything I am probably on the other end of that when I tend to defend my low-budget choices which are often based more on $ than actual SQ. I think I have a tin ear or at best an average ear and am probably incapable of appreciating half the equipment owned by the members here.

I am not trying to defend Sony or even this sub per say I just think the forum is better served when those of you who are more knowledgeable than the "great unwashed" such as myself would not get lazy and just make a general statement based on the manufacturer even if as you did apologize before hand to owners of Sony products.

I was only trying to address the original question and even if I were capable of speaking in more technical terms or if your response was a bit more comprehensive it would have been lost on SVI and his trolling ways.

E and others I apologize if those specs were copied incorrectly. I just cut and paste from a review site. The specs posted on this site are;

bass-reflex
    video-shielded
    250-watt digital amp
    dual 10" long-throw woofers
    frequency response 20-200 Hz
    continuously variable 50-200 Hz low-pass crossover
    speaker-level input and output
    line-level input and output

I am not saying the specs above make this a great sub I was only trying to point out that it was not the 8" inch sub that was referenced as sounding like sh**. IMO this sub works well for my HT needs which is in a fairly small room and relatively low volumes.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I'm assuming one of those woofers is a passive radiator and unfortunately it still doesn't tell you what the actual output is at those frequencies.

At the $100ish price point, the only thing I can suggest is the Parts Express Dayton subs.

Hello kid,

please understand that even if they do play a 20Hz tone, there is absolutly no way in this world that you will feel it. Absolutly ZERO! The subwoofers in my system for instance play flat to 6.5Hz and are an extreme but those subs are 3.2ft by 3.2ft by 2ft and weigh about 880lbs a piece! That will easily get you 20Hz with all the rummble and grunt you need.

If your looking for a good subwoofer that will do 25Hz clean and drop off after that (and dont think its easy to get 25Hz clean) then look into SVS, Velodynes and others. Even a 4K subwoofer doesnt qualify as an Elitist Jerk. But quoting 20Hz subwoofers from Sony for 200$ is simply moronic!
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

yay, defended by flo!

yeah, sorry the kid, no hard feelings.
    SVI is an idiot plain and simple, just ignore him and have fun with his threads!

this..my friends, is SVI's freaky boyfriend...

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    yay, defended by flo!

yeah, sorry the kid, no hard feelings.
    SVI is an idiot plain and simple, just ignore him and have fun with his threads!
    Cool Audio Dude
    I appreciate you actually reading and understanding my last post.
    Flo-You may try doing that-that is why you remain #1........

Its true, some day i'll venture over to his house, i'll just put my ear to the ground and listen for the 8HTz tone...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information