Polkyphil38

10" Dayton Sub?????

It appears by all accounts that the Dayton 10" sub is a decent sub. My question is how good is it really? What I am looking for is something decent that will add a little bit of low end when watching dvd's. Right now I dont have the funds to buy an expensive sub so I have been giving serious thought to the 10" Dayton sub. It sells for $125 plus S&H at Parts Express. How is this sub with music???? Are there any other 8" or 10" powered subs in this price range that is better??? Come on all you Dayton owners let me know about your experiences with this sub. Feel free to elaborate and educate me.
    REMEMBER "THE ABSOLUTE BEST SPEAKER(S) IS THE ONE THAT SOUNDS BEST TO YOU." ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT YOU PREFER. IT REALLY IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT. HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

Forum Regular
    The thing that makes the dayton DIY line of sub kits great for their price is the parts used. Usually for lower end subs, even ones in the 500 dollar range use cheaper components. Drivers are usually nothing special and amps are just there to get the job done. Dayton because of it's simple cube design and basically just putting parts in a box and letting you do it yourself, made their subs much more affordable and much better quality than anything in it's pricerange. My friend has a 12" that he bought after I got my Velodyne DPS-12 and I'd take the velodyne over it. It even stands close to my B&W ASW 600 in terms of clarity.

Polkyphil38
    cal I am not talking about the DIY Dayton Subs I am referring to the 10" or 12" that is already assembled. The 10" sub is about $125 and the 12" sub goes for around $150 if I remember correctly. I need more info on the 10"Dayton sub that is already assembled. Do you know anything about them?

Forum Regular
    Well if you want your questions answered, you're going to have to add a little detail.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-761

That's the only 10" dayton that's pre-assembled I could find on partsexpress. Show me this other one, but chances are for that amount of money you're better off keeping your bucks.
    Last edited by calegrant; 02-08-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Forum Regular
    I have the Dayton 10" sub you refer to in a second, smaller (11' X 19')
    home theater. For the money ($125) you can't do better). It's built
    very well and finished nicely. It doesn't have the output or depth
    of a HSU VTF2 ($500) of which I have two in my main home theater,
    but has very good extension and output for the money. If you have
    a larger listening area you might consider the 12".
    Last edited by Vardo; 02-08-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Polkyphil38
    Vardo I really am not looking for a sub on the same caliber as the Hsu. Just a little low end extension to compliment my Paradigm Studio 20's when watching dvd's. For music I just prefer to listen to my Studio 20's alone. How is the Dayton sub with music???? Is it better for watching dvd's???? Please feel free to elaborate. Thanks for your help.

Polkyphil38
    cale all I can tell you is that it is there on the website. It is NOT in the diy section but rather under the speaker link. Many seem to really like this sub for the money and right now I dont have much to bargain with. It may very well be what I am looking for.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by speakeroligist_38
    Vardo I really am not looking for a sub on the same caliber as the Hsu. Just a little low end extension to compliment my Paradigm Studio 20's when watching dvd's. For music I just prefer to listen to my Studio 20's alone. How is the Dayton sub with music???? Is it better for watching dvd's???? Please feel free to elaborate. Thanks for your help.

I realize that you are not looking for a sub on the HSU level. The Parts
    Express 10" sub that you are thinking about possibly purchasing is
    a very good subwoofer and is well worth the the money. It is a very
    good subwoofer IMHO. Good for music and Home Theater. That's
    my opinion.

I have had a few subwoofers in my time, including: Jamo, Mirage, HSU and Velodyne ULD-12. The Parts Express sub is not the the
    be all, end all sub, but is the best you can buy in it's price catagory.

Give it a try, and if you don't care for it send it back. But you will probably
    not find a sub in the $125 price range that can compare to the
    300-633 sub from Dayton..............Vardo

Polkyphil38
    Thanks vardo it sounds like it may be the one I am looking for. Appreciate your comments and advice. Have a great weekend.

Forum Regular
    Hello-saw that you have the 10" Dayton sub. I'm considering getting the 12" Dayton finished sub but for a small(11x17) listening area, so am wondering if there are any disadvantages to getting a bigger sub for a small area. I don't need earth rattling bass, just a decent musical sub for my music, and have a chance to pick it up on the cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by speakeroligist_38
    It appears by all accounts that the Dayton 10" sub is a decent sub. My question is how good is it really? What I am looking for is something decent that will add a little bit of low end when watching dvd's. Right now I dont have the funds to buy an expensive sub so I have been giving serious thought to the 10" Dayton sub. It sells for $125 plus S&H at Parts Express. How is this sub with music???? Are there any other 8" or 10" powered subs in this price range that is better??? Come on all you Dayton owners let me know about your experiences with this sub. Feel free to elaborate and educate me.
    Are you looking at the car subs?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Here is the link to the sub, I am also thinking of buying this sub to go with my paradigm atoms

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...33&ctab=4#Tabs

I just want to know how I should hook this up to my receiver, it's got a sub out, but what would I plug that into?

Thread Information