Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

$29 speaker makes cnet's top ten under a grand!

A few threads back I stated that the Parts Express Dayton B652 was a well reviewed speaker and now it makes cnet's top ten speakers under $1K.

Instead of taking your wife out for a cheap dinner please buy a set and report back.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20016275-47.html

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    A few threads back I stated that the Parts Express Dayton B652 was a well reviewed speaker and now it makes cnet's top ten speakers under $1K.

Instead of taking your wife out for a cheap dinner please buy a set and report back.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20016275-47.html
    Somebody PM Spanky quick!

I may even order a pair.

Suspended
    Who sells them? My daughter's boyfriend was looking for something cheap to hook to his TV.

Forum Regular

Forum Regular
    Christmas is only three months away. What a nifty gift

Charm Thai™
    Hmmm if the tweeter is bearable than that's a good deal.

i have a few pairs of PE in-wall speakers that sound incredible! I also installed about 10 pair throughout my neighbors house and he loves them as well.

You can do a lot worse than those brands, plus with the savings you can get some good source components upstream

I'm convinced. For that price how could I go wrong? I just ordered a pair.

At worst, they make a great gift for someone just starting out, say a college student.

Free shipping would be nice. $30 speakers, $20 shipping

Gotta spend $100 to get free shipping promotion

Wow, that's cheap

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Free shipping would be nice. $30 speakers, $20 shipping

Gotta spend $100 to get free shipping promotion

Do you really think they should pay for the shipping too, and sell them for $10 ($30-$20 shipping)? They gotta eat too!

Shipping was $11 and change to Notrheast New Joisey, just across the river from NYC. I think that includes combat pay.

So, all in all, it cost about $41. I've spent more on dinner and drinks.

If I don't like 'em, I've got neices and nephews in college who could use 'em. In a few years, grandkids too.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Shipping was $11 and change to Notrheast New Joisey, just across the river from NYC. I think that includes combat pay.

So, all in all, it cost about $41. I've spent more on dinner and drinks.

If I don't like 'em, I've got neices and nephews in college who could use 'em. In a few years, grandkids too.
    True, I've spent more on a tank of gas. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them. Please get back to us!

Talk about hand-me-downs

Forum Regular
    I just purchased a pair of these Daytons and can't wait to try them and compare them to my other bookshelf speakers. I have elt 525M's and x-ls classics from av123, so it should be an interesting comparison.

Just got 'em!

Swapped them with my basic li'l speaker, Sound Dynamics RTS-3, which will be my baseline for comparisons.

Keep in mind that the RTS-3's cost about 10x what these did. I sure will.

Initial impressions: They are sealed,and about 2/3 the size of the RTS-3's. They look well finished, even with push-to-insert terminals, but it's obvious by handling them that they aren't made of thick MDF, maybe 1/2" at best so they are light. They do have a nifty key-hole hanger in the back for wall mounting, which seems to be a natural for these.

Sound-wise, they are clean a bit peaky in the mid-range/presence area. I'm hoping this mellows out soon. Bass is so-so and a touch boxy but considering the size and price, not too bad when given enough power. IOW, ya gotta turn them up a bit to get good sound. They do have enough manners to know when they should stop trying to do bass. I guess you could force 'em to fart out, but under normal conditions at reasonable levels, I had no issues here.

At low levels they loose any dynamics and lows. They seem to like moderate, not low, loudness levels.

Final initial impression: I was hoping for a more "musical" speaker but all things considered, I'm not regretting these. They are well worth the asking price, and then some.

Off hand, they are naturals for a HT system. Get a sack-full of 'em, add a small powered sub that crosses over around 80 - 1000 hz or so, and you''ll have a VERY cost-effective HT system for small/medium sized rooms. Dunno if they are shielded, but with CRT's going the way of Oldsmobile and the Dodo, I think it's pretty much a moot point anymore.

So, that's the first 45 minutes of ownership. I'll continue to use 'em in the bedroom system for the foreseeable future to see if "break-in" makes much of a difference.

To be continued soon, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

[edit, day 2]Listened to 'em last nigh on Comcast's classical music channel while going to sleep. Boosting the bass and cutting the treble helps a lot at lower levels. They do like rock, swing, and blues.
    Last edited by markw; 09-19-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks Mark. I was thinking of ordering a pair to replace the Minimus 7's in my bedroom system. You're recommendation has sealed the deal.
    For the price there really isn't much to loose.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    There's quite a buzz about the Minimus 7's as being a "giant killer", it will be interesting to see how the Dayton fairs.

I have both now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    There's quite a buzz about the Minimus 7's as being a "giant killer", it will be interesting to see how the Dayton fairs.
    Minimus 7's are nuch smaller and tend to be smoother (more musical) throughout the range. The Daytons have a more "forward" sound and more upper bass, but when one applies a bit of boost (which is needed here as well as with the 7's) they become boxy.

As it now stands, I boost the bass and lower the treble slightly. At that point, they work quite well, aside from that slight boxiness issue in the upper bass area. They would do well with a subwoofer with a HP of around 100 or a bit higher.

As it stands, they are well worth the price, particularly for a budget HT system. With careful shopping one can get six of these and a small Polk ported sub, all for < $200. That would be a very decent small room HT system.

Would I pay $100/pair? Nah. I think one of my nieces or nephews will be pleased with 'em.

FWIW, rather than create new posts, I'll update my prior post with edits periodically if anythng drastic happens.
    Last edited by markw; 09-19-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Hey, Mark, do you think the little sonic impact t-amp (I think Dayton has that now) can power them in a small room?

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Hey, Mark, do you think the little sonic impact t-amp (I think Dayton has that now) can power them in a small room?
    It should produce the necessary volume, but don't expcet too much from the combo. They like a bit of "tone adjustment" to sound good.

The Minimus 7 comparison

Minimus 7's are nuch smaller and tend to be smoother (more musical) throughout the range. The Daytons have a more "forward" sound and more upper bass, but when one applies a bit of boost (which is needed here as well as with the 7's) they become boxy.

Would I pay $100/pair? Nah. I think one of my nieces or nephews will be pleased with 'em.

FWIW, rather than create new posts, I'll update my prior post with edits periodically if anythng drastic happens.
    The Minimus 7 comparison is interesting. I have a pair of these I'm using currently as computer speakers; they are driven by a semi-vintage Pioneer SX-5 receiver.

When listening to music via Foobar2000 I use the Electri-Q equalizer with these settings ...

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    It should produce the necessary volume, but don't expcet too much from the combo. They like a bit of "tone adjustment" to sound good.
    thanks, Mark. My son who's a student and works part time wants to put something together for his girl friend. He asked me for some ideas this weekend. I showed him the speakers but we haven't found something to drive them yet. He wants to do it himself so the budget is small.

subtle hint...

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I showed him the speakers but we haven't found something to drive them yet. He wants to do it himself so the budget is small.
    VINTAGE RECEIVER from a garage sale or the like.

FWIW, I'd go for the speakers now. With all the publicity you can bet there's gonna be a rush on them.

Forum Regular
    Here's an inexpensive choice to drive the Daytons. This is identical to the well reviewed Sherwood receiver and should be more reliable than garage sale gear.

http://www.cowboom.com/store/product...ed,Refurbished

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information