Forum Regular

outdoor speakers...

Hello Everyone,

I looking for a decent, but relatively inexpensive pair of outdoor speakers that I could mount on my house. I don't want to spend more than $300 on a pair of two speakers. For a receiver, I am using an old, but good Harman Kardon HK380i. Any suggesstions? And please don't tell me I shouldn't do this, need a new amp, etc, because I simply can not do it.

Thanks...

Forum Regular
    I should add that I just researched how much power this receiver can give out. I read the manual and it said RMS Power Output: it had two numbers 40W and 30W +/- for each. Does this mean I can only use 40W speakers max? I have two infinity bookshelf speakers in there now, and they seem to work fine, what would you guess the voltage is on those?

Forum Regular
    check these out: http://www.axiomaudio.com/outdoor_speakers.html

I haven't heard them but they've gotten good reviews. I have a pair 5 1/4" Insignias from BB that are decent on my screened porch but probably nowhere near as good as these Axioms.

Charm Thai™
    I like the color choices on those axioms...good suggestion.

Suspended
    Athena AS-06 are very good and the better the equipment driving them the better they sound. I got mine a few years back for under $200 and have never been disappointed with them. Bass is relatively good for small speakers along with decent treble and mids for a plastic box speaker.

Just tried to find some links and it looks like they may not be available anymore but if you find them, gram em.

Forum Regular
    I was thinking about the Yamaha NS-AW390s. Any thoughts?

Forum Regular
    scratch that- thinking more along the lines of the NW190s

Forum Regular
    Don't know if you are into DIY but I've made several of these simple PVC designs with a single full range driver from Parts Express for very little $. Just go with a full ranger with a poly cone material as it's water resistant. The sound is really good.

http://t-linespeakers.org/projects/s...abysnakes.html

Charm Thai™
    wow geist that is so cool...great idea.

Forum Regular
    Since my last post I've added a Marcato 10 inch outdoor sub to my porch speakers and WOW what a difference. This Parts Express close out is a killer bargain at $29. Outdoor sats are a comprimise at best but this sub is exactly what mine needed. See my comments on the Marcato which once sold for 5 times it's current price.

Thread Information