Problem Loading Main Page

Printable View

• 07-07-2010, 05:24 AM
    bfalls
    Problem Loading Main Page
    Hi. Anyone else having trouble viewing threads. I'm able to start the main forum page, but it doesn't fully display. Going by what is being loaded displayed at the bottom of the page, it appears one of the ads isn't able to load. If I go to "Private Messages" I can perform a "New Posts" and get here to start a new thread. If I try to go anywhere else, I get hung-up by the ad trying to load.

Am I the only one having this problem?
  • 07-07-2010, 07:13 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I can't access the speaker or home theatre forums. The only thing that loads is the gray bar across the top that tells you want forum you are in and everything above it. I can access Rave Recs, Fave Films,Off-Topic, and this forum just fine. I haven't tried any others.
  • 07-07-2010, 07:18 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I just went back to the tab that I tried to load the Speaker forum on and it was there now. So I tried again and it eventually came up, it seems that its just taking a very, very long time to load.
  • 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
    bfalls
    Thanks for the response FA. I'm still having a problem, but can access via search function. Just can't get to the main page. Anytime it needs to reload it hangs up. As long as I'm not the only one. Misery love company.
  • 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I am having the same problem with all of the sections. They eventually load, but it takes minutes to do so. Then when I get here, it loads in a millisecond.

What's up with that???
  • 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM
    dakatabg
    Me too. Sometimes it takes a while to open and sometimes it doesn't even open the page. Last night they had something like a maintance because at night it was telling me that and the whole site was down
  • 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
    Smokey
    What make this site slow is all the advertisments trying to load into your browser via Java Script. The way around this is to disable your browser's Java and Script ActiveX. Then the AR pages will loads like a snap. Of course advertisers won't like it :)
  • 07-08-2010, 05:23 AM
    bfalls
    The site is working fine for me now. Whatever was done solved my problems.
  • 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    I'm still having problems.

Smokey, everything worked fine for me until yesterday morning. Now, some pages work and some don't. I'm not convinced that it's Java related. Besides I shouldn't have to start screwing around with my Java script just for this site. They should be accomodating the users, not the other way around.
  • 07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

Smokey, everything worked fine for me until yesterday morning. Now, some pages work and some don't. I'm not convinced that it's Java related. Besides I shouldn't have to start screwing around with my Java script just for this site. They should be accomodating the users, not the other way around.

I did an experiment. I abled browser's Java and script, and clicked on your above post from main forum page. It took 11 seconds to load your post after going thru a blank page.

But when I disable Java and script, it only takes 1 second to load. So any slow down can be Java related. Give it a try to see if you notice any differences.

Also turn your cookies off too :)
  • 07-10-2010, 11:10 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Hi Smokey,
    Thanks for the experiment, but I'm not modifying my setting for the site. As I said before, AR should be accomodating the users and not the other way around (besides, I use a Mac at home and I'm not even sure how to change my Java settings).

It's also interesting to note that this is a site Feedback page and I haven't seen any sign of Adam or anyone else checking in and letting us know that they're aware of and working on this problem.

In the meantime, I will continue to use the forums that I can easily access, but I'm not visiting the forums that I'm having trouble with. I suspect that any new users trying to access these forums for advice will also give up. Not a good way to run a business...I'm just saying.
  • 07-10-2010, 11:17 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I just sent Adam an email with a link to this thread in case he hasn't seen it. Hopefully, he can chime in with some information and, hopefully, a solution.
  • 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM
    Smoke, does your workaround work for Chrome as well. I don't use that stinky Microsoft browser.
  • 07-10-2010, 08:36 PM
    Smokey
    I am not sure Sir TT since I only use IE. I also find if you surf the net without Java and Script, there is also less chance of browser being targeted by viruses since they can not load into your browser via script.

The only problem is that alot of sites will not let you browse their web pages without the script abled. It just give you a blank page, or limited maneuverbility.
  • 07-11-2010, 04:33 AM
    Feanor
    IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera
    ... all slow -to- stop, including with "Opera Turbo" switched on. I tried the Speakers forum minutes ago with all these browsers and all were painfully slow. Something is busted at this site -- which has always one of the slowest on the Web.
  • 07-11-2010, 08:06 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Bing-frickin'-O
    There are sites out there with friendly Active-x scripts that I may not want shutoff.

I'm not even going to bother resurecting alllllllll the old threads that I and others have started in the past about this. Way too redundant. Falls on deaf ears. Again, it's all about head count here. 35 - 40 active members = little or no attention from the marketing dept and "engineers" at AR.
  • 07-11-2010, 07:52 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Bing-frickin'-O
    There are sites out there with friendly Active-x scripts that I may not want shutoff.

I'm not even going to bother resurecting alllllllll the old threads that I and others have started in the past about this. Way too redundant. Falls on deaf ears. Again, it's all about head count here. 35 - 40 active members = little or no attention from the marketing dept and "engineers" at AR.

Rich, let me ask you a 2-part question....

1. What would you cite as the main reasons why this place has so few regulars?

2. What changes do you think would yield the best results in getting this place back to a thriving community?
  • 07-12-2010, 06:26 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies

Okay. It's painfully easy to understand why just by looking at all the links on this sub-forum's index page, but I'll list a few in this post since you've been away: (Not necessarily in chronological order, but some go 4 or more years back)

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/pms-spammers-26542.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/spammers-27706.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/lots-bs-spam-over-weekend-28912.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/private-message-spammer-27821.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/spam-my-inbox-30565.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/holy-hammering-batman-32126.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/spam-mods-34262.html

Those threads all had to do with spammers. There were suggestions on how to resolve the problems made by people much more capable than me, but were by & large ignored by the people most able to affect change on this board.

Here are a lot of threads started by people with slow page load issues:

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/page-load-times-28251.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/page-load-times-issue-28327.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/operation-aborted-29647.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/fix-site-cant-read-firefox-30845.html

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/slow-page-reload-times-31776.html

In that last link, you'll see Adam's answer for that thread. Join the sister site: mtbREVIEW.com's forum, see how many active members exist there, and see if you have any page load issues. $10 bucks says you won't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PS
    2. What changes do you think would yield the best results in getting this place back to a thriving community?

Here's where I took the lead on this forum when there WAS NO admin, and thus no means for getting anything fixed here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/site-feedback-discussion/yes-new-temp-admin-27359.html

I tried and tried and tried, I worked diligently with Adam, but in the end, same ol' same ol' (yeah I said it again). Somebody else's turn. I now have the right to whine again, don't you think?
  • 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
    atomicAdam
    We were having issues w/ a ad script last week - it was removed - is the main forum page still slow for people?

Also if you hit control+F5 your browser will refresh everything on the page. I pulled the bad ad code the day I was informed of it, I think last Thursday the 8th. If you have issues after that it is probably a cache issue, maybe.
  • 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
    atomicAdam
    Quote:

now have the right to whine again, don't you think?

Might be all you have to do in life rich, so go for it.
  • 07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    We were having issues w/ a ad script last week - it was removed - is the main forum page still slow for people?

Also if you hit control+F5 your browser will refresh everything on the page. I pulled the bad ad code the day I was informed of it, I think last Thursday the 8th. If you have issues after that it is probably a cache issue, maybe.

I'm having persistent problems with the 'Speakers' forum (in particular).
  • 07-12-2010, 02:24 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    I can't get into the Speaker forum either.
  • 07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
    Quote:

Not enough technical information being exchanged, and the trashing of every potentially valueable thread at the hands of a single out of control person.

Quote:

This site needs reviews...legit well done reviews(not the amatuerish user reviews) of all kinds. Equipment reviews done in house, DVD, CD, SACD and Blu ray reviews by knowledgeable folks with good writing skills. This site needs something that draws folks to it, something it does not have now.

The problem with mentioning any of this boils down to the perception(or fact) that the website owner are not interested in investing anything into this site that can spur growth.
  • 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

If you have issues after that it is probably a cache issue, maybe.

I've cleared my cache Adam. I still can't get into the Speaker forum. And I actually have some new speakers that I wanted to talk about!
  • 07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Might be all you have to do in life rich, so go for it.

Nice insult administrator. Very professional.
  • 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

We were having issues w/ a ad script last week - it was removed....

Wash rinse repeat. Once every month.
  • 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Adam I tried to give you rep points.
  • 07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    No rep points for Adam until he gets the problem fixed!!!

:p
  • 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Wash rinse repeat. Once every month.

Is anyone here savvy enough to begin a new community/website? I'd be willing to help facilitate however need be.
  • 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Funny, I've asked those same questions. Presently, AudioKarma is flourishing, and I mean flourishing. They just had the most users online about a week ago or so, I think it was approx 2500. You can see on their main page.

There is a difference over there. The admins and mods will not allow trolling, crapping or any flaming of any sort. In general, the population are very friendly and accepting of what each other perceive as great gear.

However, the problem I find with this is that people become disillusioned. They think their Pioneer amp from 1976 is every bit as good as anything else. There are members with top shelf gear, but they generally keep their opinions to themselves.

I recall a thread recently at AK where the OP was on about DBTs and how his old, lame gear was as good as anything else. Of course it provoked a flame war and even ol JoeESP9 was in on the action. At the end of the day there was no telling this guy that his entry level gear was at the bottom of the food chain.

I will never fault someone if something sounds good to them, but people, there IS an order to things. I know where my gear sits in that order, and when to bow accordingly. :3: That's why I love this site, everyone here understands "the way of things" and strives for that ultimate sound. AR is a small but mighty community...
  • 07-12-2010, 05:01 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    AR is a small but mighty community...

Nicely said.

This place used to be a thriving site with a much, much larger community. But then they changed software and it slowed the site down to a crawl for many of the users. The attitude from management was that the users were expected to change in order to keep up with the site. Not a very customer friendly attitude. So people left, the site suffered, and its never regained its former glory.

Having said that, I like the smaller community here. When I need help, I know that there are people here who I can trust to give me good advice...and I know who's blowing wind. I do wish that the Rave Recs site was a little more active. I miss the music discussions and all the great recommendations that I used to get there. When I joined this site I was buying an average of 8-10 disks a month. Now I buy 2-3 a month and most of them are recs from Progressive Ears, not here. My wallet is happy, but my ears are often bored.

But it is what it is. And what it is, is great people.
  • 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Hmmm. Maybe we should rise up against these tyrannical mods.
  • 07-12-2010, 05:51 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Is anyone here savvy enough to begin a new community/website? I'd be willing to help facilitate however need be.

So did I give you satisfactory answers to your questions PS?
  • 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Adam I tried to give you rep points.

Silly little girl.
  • 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

So did I give you satisfactory answers to your questions PS?

Yep, same ole' B.S. as before with nothing and no-one to help make those changes to make this place thrive.
  • 07-12-2010, 06:07 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Silly little girl.

Meet me and call me a silly little girl and how about three days off.
  • 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Hmmm. Maybe we should rise up against these tyrannical mods.

Oh rise up.
  • 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

We were having issues w/ a ad script last week.

I didn't :D
  • 07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
    Quote:

Nicely said.

This place used to be a thriving site with a much, much larger community. But then they changed software and it slowed the site down to a crawl for many of the users. The attitude from management was that the users were expected to change in order to keep up with the site. Not a very customer friendly attitude. So people left, the site suffered, and its never regained its former glory.

Don't forget the heavy handiness by the site administrator at the time. He essentially squelched every meaningful information debate even when they were not all that nasty. Nobody could disagree or make a counterpoint without him locking the thread and warning the posters.

Quote:

Having said that, I like the smaller community here. When I need help, I know that there are people here who I can trust to give me good advice...and I know who's blowing wind. I do wish that the Rave Recs site was a little more active. I miss the music discussions and all the great recommendations that I used to get there. When I joined this site I was buying an average of 8-10 disks a month. Now I buy 2-3 a month and most of them are recs from Progressive Ears, not here. My wallet is happy, but my ears are often bored.

But it is what it is. And what it is, is great people.
    IMO, the problem with the Rave Recs has more to do with closed mindedness for other formats aside from CD, SACD and vinyl. When these formats are the only things discussed, the conversation easily sways off topic, or there isn't much to say. I would participate more in the Rave Rec section, but I am more interested in concert videos and classical and jazz on the Blu ray disc than any of the mature, dying, or niche formats.
  • 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Oh rise up.

Is that a bloody dare????? Oh JM............