Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Nah...he just wore a puffy, leprechaun pirate shirt...

Love the new sig btw...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Nah...he just wore a puffy, leprechaun pirate shirt...

Love the new sig btw...
    That wasn't a puffy shirt. The lumpy parts were just his... uh.... let's just call him Tripod.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

No doubt that's giving far too much credit...

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    That wasn't a puffy shirt. The lumpy parts were just his... uh.... let's just call him Tripod.
    GM this is just nasty......
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    IMO, the problem with the Rave Recs has more to do with closed mindedness for other formats aside from CD, SACD and vinyl. When these formats are the only things discussed, the conversation easily sways off topic, or there isn't much to say. I would participate more in the Rave Rec section, but I am more interested in concert videos and classical and jazz on the Blu ray disc than any of the mature, dying, or niche formats.
    So, not owning a bluray player or titles on bluray makes one closed-minded? I can't speak for all of RR, but I can't afford to leap from format to format and just how many new formats have been introduced in 10 years?

Sir-T, maybe you could map out just what it is exactly you want from a gear specific conversation on a music board. Myself, when clicking on a thread about a band/album/genre, I rarely assume one format or another. What more is there to discuss about a piece of music other than whether or not I like it? If I hated an album on CD, I won't like it any better on the newest, bestest format.

Either someone will be interested in the same music as you, or not. That's the way it is for all of us at RR. Music preference, just the music, is a subjective thing and there's scant little to argue about.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

GM this is just nasty......
    Thank you for noticing. I do have a quota to fill ya'know.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Either someone will be interested in the same music as you, or not. That's the way it is for all of us at RR. Music preference, just the music, is a subjective thing and there's scant little to argue about.
    Actually I would beg to differ. Case in point: The National - High Violet | CD vs. Vinyl

So, not owning a bluray player or titles on bluray makes one closed-minded? I can't speak for all of RR, but I can't afford to leap from format to format and just how many new formats have been introduced in 10 years?

Sir-T, maybe you could map out just what it is exactly you want from a gear specific conversation on a music board. Myself, when clicking on a thread about a band/album/genre, I rarely assume one format or another. What more is there to discuss about a piece of music other than whether or not I like it? If I hated an album on CD, I won't like it any better on the newest, bestest format.

Alright Sir T....start posting about those titles then....I have almost all of the OpusArte Blu-rays released to date and much of the other Naxos releases.....

My favorite title released thus far was Puccini's TOSCA. I often prefer the PCM tracks compared to some of the Dolby TrueHD mixes, and sometimes the DTS-MA's. I also have the sampler disc that has the benefit of showcasing all the various audio formats for quick comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Alright Sir T....start posting about those titles then....I have almost all of the OpusArte Blu-rays released to date and much of the other Naxos releases.....

My favorite title released thus far was Puccini's TOSCA. I often prefer the PCM tracks compared to some of the Dolby TrueHD mixes, and sometimes the DTS-MA's. I also have the sampler disc that has the benefit of showcasing all the various audio formats for quick comparison.
    If you are going to follow this post - please continue this in the RR section, since that is what it really is.

FYI - I'm going back to the time when I could have a harem of castrated young lads. who will sing to me upon the sun rise and death each days. We'll pray to our many gods, mostly the gods of bit ta-tas, beer, and feed, and after that we'll proclaim our true audiophile gred and shun all others.

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Actually I would beg to differ. Case in point: The National - High Violet | CD vs. Vinyl
    But it wasn't a discussion about the music, it was a discussion about different mediums. Since you brought it up - do you like the album? I like quite a lot of music which I might find the sound quality a tad iffy, but what are ya gonna do, not listen to a piece of music you like just because it isn't audiophile quality? Myself, I wind up listening to music on various medium or playback devices, few of which are even optimum quality, much less audiophile quality.

As far as the CD -v- vinyl thing, I like the sound of vinyl and listen to it from time to time just for the sake of listening. In audio, its ok to keep a harem.

oh and just to clarify, what I mean by there being scant little to argue about with regards to music, is that if you say "I like the new National album" someone can chime in and say "I don't like it as much as their last one" which is just a different opinion but it doesn't supplant or alter yours. It isn't like anyone can come along and say, "Adam, you ignorant slut, you do not like The National's new album. Where do you get off? You can't possibly know that for a fact. Do you have links to support your far-fetched claims or are you just here to yank everyone's chain you liar. Do you even know how to listen to a piece of music correctly? I highly doubt it. I've been in the business of knowing what music I like for years and have been paid handsomely for my opinions and my high profile job with a major entertainment entity affords me the ability to listen to music on several very expensive systems, all at the same time. So take your anecdotal nonsense about music you like elsewhere. How many times must we endure these feeble attempts at recommending music you supposedly like when you can't even support your opinions. Do your research and stop taking up bandwidth with your uninformed knee-jerk diatribes about albums and bands of which you allegedly like but aren't nearly as qualified to quantify as I am"

...or at least, I don't think anyone would say that.
    Last edited by 3LB; 07-14-2010 at 10:53 PM.

"Adam, you ignorant slut, you do not like The National's new album. Where do you get off? You can't possibly know that for a fact. Do you have links to support your far-fetched claims or are you just here to yank everyone's chain you liar. Do you even know how to listen to a piece of music correctly? I highly doubt it. I've been in the business of knowing what music I like for years and have been paid handsomely for my opinions and my high profile job with a major entertainment entity affords me the ability to listen to music on several very expensive systems, all at the same time. So take your anecdotal nonsense about music you like elsewhere. How many times must we endure these feeble attempts at recommending music you supposedly like when you can't even support your opinions. Do your research and stop taking up bandwidth with your uninformed knee-jerk diatribes about albums and bands of which you allegedly like but aren't nearly as qualified to quantify as I am"
    Thanks for the new tag line!

Errrr... nevermind, damn 500 character sig limit!

Oh, and I have actaully met people like that. Only a few, but there are out there and genertally lurking in ur LRS. I suggest asking them who is better, Lemmy or God, and walk away before their head explodes.

But to answer ur other question. If I had the nationals new album only on vinyl, no, I would listen to it even if I like the music. The recording is so poorly mastered that even a $2,000+ TT/phono/cart can't play it well, that peronally just burns me up!

I've also heard Jeff buckley's hallejulla (sp? - on phone no spell check) on MP3. Boring as all paint drying. Wouldn't listen to it. On vinyl through the Prelude system it will almost make u cry. So, another example.... now when it comes to music like slayer, daft punk (on, and why the hell is the Alive album mixed so screwed up??) It doesn't really matter that much because the energy comes through. Oh, also classical, can't stand it if it isn't on a really good system. I don't even like it live. But when I feel I'm right there at the conductor's stand, it is a whole new beast.

Thanks for the new tag line!

Errrr... nevermind, damn 500 character sig limit!
    Couldn't you just cut it back to "Adam, you ignorant slut"
    We'll all know what it means.

LMAO!!

When I punched this thread Adam's post popped up with 3LB's paraphrased quote..the first words I saw were "Adam you ignorant slut!"...needless to say taken outta context it was a true wtf moment.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    It isn't like anyone can come along and say, "Adam, you ignorant slut, you do not like The National's new album. Where do you get off? You can't possibly know that for a fact. Do you have links to support your far-fetched claims or are you just here to yank everyone's chain you liar. Do you even know how to listen to a piece of music correctly? I highly doubt it. I've been in the business of knowing what music I like for years and have been paid handsomely for my opinions and my high profile job with a major entertainment entity affords me the ability to listen to music on several very expensive systems, all at the same time. So take your anecdotal nonsense about music you like elsewhere. How many times must we endure these feeble attempts at recommending music you supposedly like when you can't even support your opinions. Do your research and stop taking up bandwidth with your uninformed knee-jerk diatribes about albums and bands of which you allegedly like but aren't nearly as qualified to quantify as I am"

...or at least, I don't think anyone would say that.
    I'm laughing so hard I'm gonna pee myself.

Just one. SACD and DVD-A came 11 years ago. I didn't make the statement that not owning a Blu ray player or software made anyone close-minded. My statement was that everyone was "stuck" in legacy technology, and not open minded to other formats. So any discussion on music on Blu ray goes no where in RR.

The problem with this comment is that you are not going to hear what you have already heard on other formats on Blu ray disc. They have not released much of anything that has already been released except classical music released previously on SACD(and not a bunch of that either). Aside from concert videos, all new music on Blu ray is exactly that...new or newly recorded.

You don't just talk about music, you talk about music on two formats - CD and vinyl. That is all anyone there is interested in period. When Mr. P and I both open new threads talking about new recordings on Blu ray, we ended up having a two way conversation. There just seemed to be no interest in talking about anything but music on CD and vinyl. Understandably, that is where folks are at there, nobody has embraced BR disc at all, hence the small community not showing any growth. It is what it is.

If it was purely about the music, then I am sure that more people would participate. But it is not just about music - it is about music on two formats, and that is it.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

After your recent dig on my reviews on Blu ray.com, and your rather negative comments about the site itself, I am sure you will understand that I will take a pass on your offer. Admittedly, I am not as forgiving as some around here considering the history you have.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Just one. SACD and DVD-A came 11 years ago. I didn't make the statement that not owning a Blu ray player or software made anyone close-minded. My statement was that everyone was "stuck" in legacy technology, and not open minded to other formats. So any discussion on music on Blu ray goes no where in RR.
    I can't speak for others, but I'm certainly not "stuck" in legacy technology. It just happens to be the technology that I own. I don't participate in discussions on Blu ray as I have nothing to contribute at this point (I also don't participate in conversations about vinyl because I don't own a turntable). I suspect it is the same with other people. We are not all as technologically advanced as you are Sir T.

And RR, for the 9 years that I've been around here, has always been more about the actual music than the format. Format is secondary. That's not to say that it can't change. When I joined RR no one listened to MP3s, but now almost everyone there has an iPod of some sort. Perhaps if you and Mr. Peabody continued your discussions, you'd find people lurking with the same interests who might then begin to participate in the discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by SirT
    If it was purely about the music, then I am sure that more people would participate. But it is not just about music - it is about music on two formats, and that is it.
    I do think that you're wrong here. It is about the music. If you talked about say, the latest Hold Steady album, you would get participation regardless of what format you are listening on. But if you try to corral people into a specific discussion about a specific format, you'll probably lose them. Because now its not about music, its about format, and not everyone is listening on the same format. And most of the people currently on RR don't care. It's not close-mindedness to new formats, its just not their focus.

I'm not going to change your opinion. I'm just trying to help you understand where someone like me is coming from.

3LB

The problem with this comment is that you are not going to hear what you have already heard on other formats on Blu ray disc. They have not released much of anything that has already been released except classical music released previously on SACD(and not a bunch of that either). Aside from concert videos, all new music on Blu ray is exactly that...new or newly recorded.
    Isn't that why it took CD so long to catch-on, availability to purchase back catalog reissues of many artists and albums* (and when they did, they used 2nd and 3rd generation transfers). * yes, I know there were legal issues w/ certain labels/artists *

Quote Originally Posted by SirT
    You don't just talk about music, you talk about music on two formats - CD and vinyl. That is all anyone there is interested in period...If it was purely about the music, then I am sure that more people would participate. But it is not just about music - it is about music on two formats, and that is it.
    again, I can't speak for all of RR, but I'm sure some of those guys there have multiple digital formats (I seem to remember some discussion about it). Hell, they could be talking about 8-Track for all I know, when addressing music. I'm sure POR will change. Thing is, it took a while for CD to supplant the LP and cassette. After that it seemed, from my own observation, that the general public's focus became portability of digital music. The notion that DVD-A and SACD have been around for 11 years is a revelation to me, but then again, I remember reading about compact disc in my brother's Stereo Review when I was a kid (late '70s), but didn't see a CD/player until around '82-'83, didn't own a CD/player until '88, so you see I've never been on the leading edge of audio technology.
    Perhaps this would be a good thread topic in RR....

....actually, this is a topic of a thread over in RR
    Last edited by 3LB; 07-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.

If you are going to follow this post - please continue this in the RR section, since that is what it really is.

FYI - I'm going back to the time when I could have a harem of castrated young lads. who will sing to me upon the sun rise and death each days. We'll pray to our many gods, mostly the gods of bit ta-tas, beer, and feed, and after that we'll proclaim our true audiophile gred and shun all others.

Is that section between Auschwitz and Treblinka? Geeeessh.

Is that section between Auschwitz and Treblinka? Geeeessh.
    I don't get it? You are saying RR is some stretch of land in Germany between to termination camps?

My general rule of thumb is that once someone compares or bring ups Nazi's or the holocaust, the argument is over and that person has just lost.

3LB
    I don't get it? You are saying RR is some stretch of land in Germany between to termination camps?

My general rule of thumb is that once someone compares or bring ups Nazi's or the holocaust, the argument is over and that person has just lost.
    unless of course we're talkin Tom Cruise

just kiddin Tom! (he sometimes lurks here when he isn't constantly posting Genesis reunion rumour threads over at PE)

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir T
    You don't just talk about music, you talk about music on two formats - CD and vinyl. That is all anyone there is interested in period.
    How many different digital media do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir T
    When Mr. P and I both open new threads talking about new recordings on Blu ray, we ended up having a two way conversation.
    I don't know if I like the implication there...we love Mr P and value his input

oh I'm just yankin ya...you know Sir T, yer alright, no matter what PeruvianFlake says

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Adam
    If I had the nationals new album only on vinyl, no, I would listen to it even if I like the music. The recording is so poorly mastered that even a $2,000+ TT/phono/cart can't play it well, that peronally just burns me up!

I've also heard Jeff buckley's hallejulla (sp? - on phone no spell check) on MP3. Boring as all paint drying. Wouldn't listen to it. On vinyl through the Prelude system it will almost make u cry. So, another example.... now when it comes to music like slayer, daft punk (on, and why the hell is the Alive album mixed so screwed up??) It doesn't really matter that much because the energy comes through. Oh, also classical, can't stand it if it isn't on a really good system. I don't even like it live. But when I feel I'm right there at the conductor's stand, it is a whole new beast.
    Well, I must admit, there are exceptions. I actually think Rush's Vapor Trails is a damn fine effort, but the mastering job on that album is horrendous...I mean it is actually fatiguing to listening to for more than a song or two. What a waste.

And yes, classical music on a very good rig is sublime, but under less than optimal circumstances, that too becomes a chore.

As far as MP3s go, I can't do much below 256k even on headphones. The few times I've made CD-Rs from 320kbps files, and played them back on my modest rig, I can soooo tell a difference.

I have a Sumiko cartridge on my TT. Not as good as yours - I fergit which one at the moment. My wife saw the jewel box it came in and thought I was surprising her...needless to say I did....whoooops!

How many different digital media do you own?

I don't know if I like the implication there...we love Mr P and value his input

oh I'm just yankin ya...you know Sir T, yer alright, no matter what PeruvianFlake says

3LB, I get what you and FA are saying, but that post points out that nobody there has a Bluray player except Kex and another gentlemen.

Maybe things will improve over time so I can participate. Being a singer and a musician I really do like talking about music, so maybe I should just change my angle away from the technology, and devote it towards the music itself.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

3LB
    Being a singer and a musician I really do like talking about music, so maybe I should just change my angle away from the technology, and devote it towards the music itself.
    Are ya any count? I play nothing and couldn't carry a tune in a sack, all I can do is admire from afar.

Is there yet software out there that allows one to "DIY" home recording in hi-res formats the way it is for wave.files?

There are many posts of mine that poopoo audiophilia here at AR and elsewhere, but I realize that its the audiophile community that is the impetus for most of the technological advancement in the world of recorded music and playback. I think some audiophiles are obcessed more with gear and less with the music. I know buddies that rarely listen to an album all the way through because they're so enamoured with the sound of their system they jump from album to album, playing snippets. I'd rather listen to music. But as grotesque and incomprehensible as their presence is to me some times, deep down inside in places I don't talk about at parties, I don't want them on that wall...I need them on that wall. They use words like accuracy, imaging and soundstaging. They use these words as the backbone of a life spent enjoying something, I use them as a punchline sometimes, perhaps wrongly so. But I'm afraid without audiophilia, we'd still be listening to ceramic records on mono playback. I'm not opposed to hi-res digital playback, I just can't freakin afford it! Kudos to those trail-blazing technofiles who'll fund those much cheaper, third and fourth generation players that I'll buy on some Friday after Thanksgiving sale. Cheers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information