Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Because on one hand, I have been around here long enough to know that nothing changes much, despite our pleas for making improvements, and yet at the same time, I don't need this site to satisfy my day, so while I would love for this site to make improvements and once again thrive, I am not interested in wasting too much time around here unless I see progress OR an opportunity to help make those changes happen.
    I think you have basically figured it out yourself. This site isn't getting any special injection of care from any higher ups. For those who like to crap on Adam's head, he is infact overworked just like anyone else who is employed in these trying times.

I have heard this rhetoric from other old school members who only occasionaly drop in. The reality is that the site will only get better one member at a time. It's up to each member to contribute and make it as good as it can be. Plain and simple.

I agree with Terrence, if anything should be done it should be to raise the credibility of this site. In all honesty, we could organize some reviews, but it takes someone to initiate this. Perhaps you could get the ball rolling Peruvian Skies.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Don't forget the heavy handiness by the site administrator at the time. He essentially squelched every meaningful information debate even when they were not all that nasty. Nobody could disagree or make a counterpoint without him locking the thread and warning the posters.
    I didn't really experience that. But back in those days I seldom wandered from the RR forum.

IMO, the problem with the Rave Recs has more to do with closed mindedness for other formats aside from CD, SACD and vinyl. When these formats are the only things discussed, the conversation easily sways off topic, or there isn't much to say. I would participate more in the Rave Rec section, but I am more interested in concert videos and classical and jazz on the Blu ray disc than any of the mature, dying, or niche formats.
    I don't think that it is so much closed mindedness as just a small group of people who don't share that particular interest. If there were a wider range of participants, you would be more likely to find someone to have a more meaningful discussion with. But because this site seems to be dwindling, there just aren't enough people there to really have much of a long-term discussion about anything.

I have no interest in any format outside of CDs and the occasional concert DVD or Blu ray. Does it make me close-minded because I'm more interested in the music itself than the format that I hear it in? Maybe you should start a thread or two and see where it goes? Post a review of a great Blu ray concert disk. You never know what's going to hit the mark there.

Hmmm. Maybe we should rise up against these tyrannical mods.
    You're kidding right? I've never seen a group of more laid-back, hands-off mods. About the only thing they do around here is delete spam and they do it for the love of the site, there is no other compensation. So get off your high horse and thank them for their time.

The mods are not the problem. An owner who doesn't want to invest in making this a better site, is the problem. But why spend money on improvements when the advertising dollars are rolling in regardless?

Hi all "administrator & moderators" for the pass two weeks I cant get pass the forum page "period" last night I tried for about twenty minutes trying to access (smokey Boondocks thread) with no luck, I would to get back to my one per week thingy!!

Oh by the way! I love that responsible comment "poppachubby"
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

I haven't had any trouble with the sight working for me, but I just lurk here these days. Not much posting. You know me. Not much to add except the occasional comment or joke. I do miss how busy this sight used to be but don’t know how I could help. Many of the personalities who made this place what it was have moved on for a variety of reasons. We do see new members joining, but not fast enough to make up for the ones lost. And many of those who moved on were profesionals in the audio and/or video world. It will be hard to replace them.
    FA,
    Sorry to have strayed off topic. Can you access the speaker section yet?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by winston
    Hi all "administrator & moderators" for the pass two weeks I cant get pass the forum page "period" last night I tried for about twenty minutes trying to access (smokey Boondocks thread) with no luck, I would to get back to my one per week thingy!!

Oh by the way! I love that responsible comment "poppachubby"
    I've been having problems reoccur with the Home Theater section and Speakers...I'm pretty sure that it's in the ad script which I am powerless to manipulate.

We should definitely overthrow the mods...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I've been having problems reoccur with the Home Theater section and Speakers...I'm pretty sure that it's in the ad script which I am powerless to manipulate.

We should definitely overthrow the mods...
    You just long for ANY kind of physical contact huh?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Guy has gotta do what he gotta do...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm having persistent problems with the 'Speakers' forum (in particular).
    OK, ill check and see if there is any targeted ad code that I missed in my 1st sweep of the code.

Sorry for the trouble u guys. STtT is on to some important truths, and heck, I am the admin but I don't even work for ConsumerReview (site owner) any longer. So I'm helping out how/when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Nice insult administrator. Very professional.
    Rich, by this point, everyone knows you can be an ass, so I'm not really going to hold back.

So there appears to be a fundamental miss-understanding of roles that are played in the maintenance (or lack there of) of the AudioREVIEW forums.

So let me clarify.

Mod - Delete spam and ban user
    Admin - A bit of code changes, mod activities.
    Engineer - This would be the guy who would update the version of vB, add the correct and working ad code, and generally make the site run snappy. (pretty much the guy who would fix all the issues everyone has) - well - we don't have that guy - and when we do - he is so over loaded w/ other task that forums unfortunately come last because in the long run they are very well monetized and so there for receive less attention. Especially on a small forum like AudioREVIEW.

This is just the way it is. I can't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    This is just the way it is. I can't do anything about it.
    Yeah but you got some damn nice Electrocompaniet gears...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Yeah but you got some damn nice Electrocompaniet gears...
    Those are coming out on for Review for Dagogo.com, not AudioREVIEW.

After I'm finished w/ two more reviews on AudioREVIEW I'm no longer going to be writing reviews here.

Heck, I moved on. I'm now working at a property management group in SoCal.

So, you guys think you have a 100 complaints, don't even get me started on mine. I just decided to get another job with more opportunities for personal and financial growth.

Oh and bobsticks, they are damn nice. In all honesty though I love the system but it really needs some bigger drivers or a bigger box in for the bookshelves. They just don't push enough air around. The tweeter on the other hand is freaking amazing! Can't believe how detailed and clean it is. But I'll go into more on my review.

FA -

I went through every section of code I could that makes the forums run and removed 1 last lagging ad call. See if those forums speed up now.

If not, please let me know, there might be some code templates I'm not accessing. But I did go to the speaker forum and viewed source and searched for the ad code and saw nothing.

Also, at the bottom of your browser window it will generally tell you what URL is loading and if it is lagging it will display there for a while. LMK what that URL is if you are still having issues.

Thanks

FA -

I went through every section of code I could that makes the forums run and removed 1 last lagging ad call. See if those forums speed up now.

Thanks
    Both the speaker and HT forums load in a split second now. You are the great one Adam. Thanks!

P.S. Congrats on the new job. I hope that we'll still see you around here.

Rich, by this point, everyone knows you can be an ass, so I'm not really going to hold back.
    I'm sorry Rich, but this was funny! LMAO!

Remember Rich, girls always pick on the guys they like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Both the speaker and HT forums load in a split second now. You are the great one Adam. Thanks!

P.S. Congrats on the new job. I hope that we'll still see you around here.
    Thanks FA, I've actually been down here for 7 months now. It is going well.

Glad to know the forums are loading faster.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I didn't really experience that. But back in those days I seldom wandered from the RR forum.
    If you wandered in to the Hometheater, cable or speaker section this heavy handedness was in full effect. I learned so much about cables from the great debates that used to take place in that section. Tons of very valuable information. When the heavy hands hit the place, it cleared that place like a skunk at a picnic. It was so sad to see, and boy I complained bitterly about it.

I don't think that it is so much closed mindedness as just a small group of people who don't share that particular interest. If there were a wider range of participants, you would be more likely to find someone to have a more meaningful discussion with. But because this site seems to be dwindling, there just aren't enough people there to really have much of a long-term discussion about anything.

I have no interest in any format outside of CDs and the occasional concert DVD or Blu ray. Does it make me close-minded because I'm more interested in the music itself than the format that I hear it in? Maybe you should start a thread or two and see where it goes? Post a review of a great Blu ray concert disk. You never know what's going to hit the mark there.
    The reason why there are so few people participating is because EVERYONE there seems stuck at vinyl and CD. Everyone seems perfectly happy just discussing these two legacy formats, and there is no room to discuss anything else. Mr. Peabody tried to start a thread on a Blu ray classical title, and aside from myself, the only thing that was louder was the crickets chirping. I tried to do the same thing a while back, same result. As long as it stays that way, the community will get smaller and smaller - as quite a few folks have moved on from these two formats. I remember when SACD and DVD-A was discussed there, and it seems that even that is gone.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    After all of this kvetshing I want to thank our mods here. I was a mod here once, and it is the most thankless job I have ever done. Adam, I also appreciate you as well. If we didn't have you, I don't know what condition this site would be in.

When can Rich come home? I know he has been temporarily barred from the house for poor behavior.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

After all of this kvetshing I want to thank our mods here. I was a mod here once, and it is the most thankless job I have ever done. Adam, I also appreciate you as well. If we didn't have you, I don't know what condition this site would be in...
    Terrence I appreciate your for remembering although I doubt it's as thankless as it used to be. Simply, thank you.

When can Rich come home? I know he has been temporarily barred from the house for poor behavior.
    I think Rich's words were ill-chosen...or perhaps, to craftily chosen. His well known animosity toward JM lifestyle put in a highly critical context. I can see why John would have been offended. If Rich called me those things I'd have laughed it off as we have a different relationship.

Fortunately for those of that like Rich (and haven't yet been the victims of his ire) he can return in a couple days. I think it's reasonable and I look forward to his return.

So is Rich blacklisted now too?

So is Rich blacklisted now too?
    Just a few days off. I hope to see his posts soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Just a few days off. I hope to see his posts soon.
    I guess I missed out on whatever it was that he did.

Did he forget the secret elder handshake?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information