Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    We were having issues w/ a ad script last week - it was removed....
    Wash rinse repeat. Once every month.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Nice insult administrator. Very professional.

Adam I tried to give you rep points.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    No rep points for Adam until he gets the problem fixed!!!

Wash rinse repeat. Once every month.
    Is anyone here savvy enough to begin a new community/website? I'd be willing to help facilitate however need be.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Rich, let me ask you a 2-part question....

1. What would you cite as the main reasons why this place has so few regulars?

2. What changes do you think would yield the best results in getting this place back to a thriving community?
    Funny, I've asked those same questions. Presently, AudioKarma is flourishing, and I mean flourishing. They just had the most users online about a week ago or so, I think it was approx 2500. You can see on their main page.

There is a difference over there. The admins and mods will not allow trolling, crapping or any flaming of any sort. In general, the population are very friendly and accepting of what each other perceive as great gear.

However, the problem I find with this is that people become disillusioned. They think their Pioneer amp from 1976 is every bit as good as anything else. There are members with top shelf gear, but they generally keep their opinions to themselves.

I recall a thread recently at AK where the OP was on about DBTs and how his old, lame gear was as good as anything else. Of course it provoked a flame war and even ol JoeESP9 was in on the action. At the end of the day there was no telling this guy that his entry level gear was at the bottom of the food chain.

I will never fault someone if something sounds good to them, but people, there IS an order to things. I know where my gear sits in that order, and when to bow accordingly. That's why I love this site, everyone here understands "the way of things" and strives for that ultimate sound. AR is a small but mighty community...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    AR is a small but mighty community...
    Nicely said.

This place used to be a thriving site with a much, much larger community. But then they changed software and it slowed the site down to a crawl for many of the users. The attitude from management was that the users were expected to change in order to keep up with the site. Not a very customer friendly attitude. So people left, the site suffered, and its never regained its former glory.

Having said that, I like the smaller community here. When I need help, I know that there are people here who I can trust to give me good advice...and I know who's blowing wind. I do wish that the Rave Recs site was a little more active. I miss the music discussions and all the great recommendations that I used to get there. When I joined this site I was buying an average of 8-10 disks a month. Now I buy 2-3 a month and most of them are recs from Progressive Ears, not here. My wallet is happy, but my ears are often bored.

But it is what it is. And what it is, is great people.

Nice insult administrator. Very professional.

Hmmm. Maybe we should rise up against these tyrannical mods.

Suspended
    Is anyone here savvy enough to begin a new community/website? I'd be willing to help facilitate however need be.
    So did I give you satisfactory answers to your questions PS?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Adam I tried to give you rep points.
    Silly little girl.

So did I give you satisfactory answers to your questions PS?
    Yep, same ole' B.S. as before with nothing and no-one to help make those changes to make this place thrive.

Silly little girl.

Meet me and call me a silly little girl and how about three days off.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Hmmm. Maybe we should rise up against these tyrannical mods.

Oh rise up.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    We were having issues w/ a ad script last week.
    I didn't

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Nicely said.

This place used to be a thriving site with a much, much larger community. But then they changed software and it slowed the site down to a crawl for many of the users. The attitude from management was that the users were expected to change in order to keep up with the site. Not a very customer friendly attitude. So people left, the site suffered, and its never regained its former glory.
    Don't forget the heavy handiness by the site administrator at the time. He essentially squelched every meaningful information debate even when they were not all that nasty. Nobody could disagree or make a counterpoint without him locking the thread and warning the posters.

Having said that, I like the smaller community here. When I need help, I know that there are people here who I can trust to give me good advice...and I know who's blowing wind. I do wish that the Rave Recs site was a little more active. I miss the music discussions and all the great recommendations that I used to get there. When I joined this site I was buying an average of 8-10 disks a month. Now I buy 2-3 a month and most of them are recs from Progressive Ears, not here. My wallet is happy, but my ears are often bored.

But it is what it is. And what it is, is great people.
    IMO, the problem with the Rave Recs has more to do with closed mindedness for other formats aside from CD, SACD and vinyl. When these formats are the only things discussed, the conversation easily sways off topic, or there isn't much to say. I would participate more in the Rave Rec section, but I am more interested in concert videos and classical and jazz on the Blu ray disc than any of the mature, dying, or niche formats.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Oh rise up.
    Is that a bloody dare????? Oh JM............
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Is that a bloody dare????? Oh JM............

I find it interesting that they are going to rise up against the mods. All we really do is delete spam and only get involved when it gets truly ugly. Members pretty much have a free ride under this administration. Oh and the site is free. Sure there are problems but again it is free. A lot of entertainement for not much money.

Oh and no I do not back down.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I see this thread will take a saucy turn...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

This thread has been totally derailed.

I'm still having trouble with the Speaker forum in case anyone cares.

Chicago IL
    I have the problems too but now I have another problem. Lately around this time when I got to the forum it says this "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." and it is very annoying because I have to try few times and when I am browsing around the forum once in a while I get this message!!!

True of False????

Ok, answer this question honestly....

How many of you use this site as a sidebar? What I mean by that is, you are already addicted in some way, shape, or form to other online activities such as YouTube, chatroom, Facebook, or some other online device and you essentially check on this site periodically while doing those other things just to kill time here and there, occasionally you get involved in a discussion, but for the most part, this helps consume useless minutes in your day and sometimes adds a bit of entertainment with fellow community members, who for the most part are like a second family.

I personally never go online with the only destination in mind being this place, often times I scroll over to here when I am bored, often times waiting for friend responses on Facebook or IM.

Ok, answer this question honestly....

How many of you use this site as a sidebar? What I mean by that is, you are already addicted in some way, shape, or form to other online activities such as YouTube, chatroom, Facebook, or some other online device and you essentially check on this site periodically while doing those other things just to kill time here and there, occasionally you get involved in a discussion, but for the most part, this helps consume useless minutes in your day and sometimes adds a bit of entertainment with fellow community members, who for the most part are like a second family.

I personally never go online with the only destination in mind being this place, often times I scroll over to here when I am bored, often times waiting for friend responses on Facebook or IM.
    On one hand you are curious how to make things better, and seem to care about the outcome here. Yet you only come here when your nose is void of boogers? Which is it?

Chicago IL
    I have it on the bookmark bar so count 1+ here

I visit it here daily and go over every new post

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    On one hand you are curious how to make things better, and seem to care about the outcome here. Yet you only come here when your nose is void of boogers? Which is it?
    Because on one hand, I have been around here long enough to know that nothing changes much, despite our pleas for making improvements, and yet at the same time, I don't need this site to satisfy my day, so while I would love for this site to make improvements and once again thrive, I am not interested in wasting too much time around here unless I see progress OR an opportunity to help make those changes happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Don't forget the heavy handiness by the site administrator at the time. He essentially squelched every meaningful information debate even when they were not all that nasty. Nobody could disagree or make a counterpoint without him locking the thread and warning the posters.
    I agree that that was the biggest thing: a huge exodus, though it happened a number of years ago. There has been attrition since then too. And too, people have taken sabbaticals ...

On the other hand I thing ForeverAutumn is right that this makes for a tighter, more friendly community, without the arrogant nutbags you get at, say, Audio Asylum.

But management here seems uninterested in the usability of the site and instead have fixated on maximizing paid advertising content regardless of performance. Like I said above, this is one of the slowest sites I visit; surely this is counter productive even from the more enligtened perspective of management.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    But management here seems uninterested in the usability of the site and instead have fixated on maximizing paid advertising content regardless of performance. Like I said above, this is one of the slowest sites I visit; surely this is counter productive even from the more enligtened perspective of management.
    That's the irony Bill. Ads that none of us surely care about. I suppose some people who lurk may click on them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information