Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Forum Setting - Please Help Me Test

Ok - I just set the admin approval setting for forum post.

That means I've got to 'ok' each new user who wants to join.

I've never set the feature on audioreview - so I need someone with an email account they aren't using to sign up as a new user and help me test. Obviously after which point that account will be deleted.

Who can help?

This should - i hope - significantly reduce spam

Ok - the setting seemed to keep my new user account from posting.

What do you folks think of sending the new users a quick questionnaire to answer before admitting them to the forums. Any other site do that from your experiences?

This is also going to add a lot of work to my daily load - especially on days when we get hit with 50 new members - going to verify each one will be a bit of pain in the butt.

Anyone want to take on the responsibility of being the welcoming committee for me?

Suspended
    The other forums I've joined have been the same as AR in that you just register and that's it. Some send an email to the address used to register and you have to follow the link back to verify you aren't a robot.

Does AR really get 50 legit requests? I don't see that many people posting. I'm usually only on of an evening but I would be willing to help you with some of the verification. I think if you make some of the profile boxes required opposed to optional you may weed some spammers out. Like listing a system, most spam doesn't even make sense let alone being able to put together anything resembling a system. Of course, that may not work with a newbie looking to put one together so we may have to come up with an either/or.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The other forums I've joined have been the same as AR in that you just register and that's it. Some send an email to the address used to register and you have to follow the link back to verify you aren't a robot.
    That's been my experience too. Does a system like that (email verification) work? If so, that might be an easy solution that won't require any additional time. Otherwise, I'd be willing to help screen new members but I'd also only be able to do it in the evening. I already spend enough time at work on this site, I can't actually be 'working' here too.

Oh, I forgot, do you still need someone to pretend to be a newbie? I have a Yahoo email that I can use if you want me to.

The thing is that if you want to review a product you have to register in account on vB. I would say that most people who want to write a review don't want to participate in the forums.

I'm trying to reconfigure/write the welcome email to let people know they should contact the admin if they want to post in the forum.

I know it is a bit over the top - but - this is the only option I have at the moment. I've asked for a new recaptchia to be installed for well - for a year - and it hasn't been done. So ......

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am surprised how many people register and leave most of the info in their profile blank. If they are not interested enough to share some audio info I watch them for spamming. If someone does not fill out their profile they should not be approved to join.

Would the mods be able to help you check out new members?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Lets just see how it goes - it might not be an issue - thanks for offering - if it gets to be an issue i'll hit you up and we can figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Oh, I forgot, do you still need someone to pretend to be a newbie? I have a Yahoo email that I can use if you want me to.
    Yes - it would be great if you could. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks
    -adam

I'll try to do it later today. I'm logged in on my phone right now. Ahhhhhhh technology...gotta love it.

Adam, just so you know, I'm always willing to help out here. This site has given me so much over the years, I'm happy to give back.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'll try to do it later today. I'm logged in on my phone right now. Ahhhhhhh technology...gotta love it.

Adam, just so you know, I'm always willing to help out here. This site has given me so much over the years, I'm happy to give back.
    Thanks FA - let me know how it goes. I'm headed out climbing this afternoon but should home as the sun is setting.

Chicago IL
    Very good idea about the approving thing!

ForeverAutumn2
    Hey Adam. I registered as ForeverAutumn2 and am posting.

Hmmmmm. I registered as ForeverAutumn2 and tried to post. I got a message that said that I could not post until my account is verified. However, as you can see by the post above I was still allowed to post even though the message said that I cannot.

ForeverAutumn2
    I'm trying to post again to see exactly what the message I got said.

ForeverAutumn2
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn2
    I'm trying to post again to see exactly what the message I got said.
    Okay, so when I post I see the following message...

Quote Originally Posted by AR Forum
    Your account has not been confirmed and is not yet active! To become a registered user on this forum (required for posting or accessing special features) you will need to verify your email address by clicking a special link sent to you in our original welcome email. If you have lost this email, or it never arrived, please go here to request another activation email be sent to you. If you suspect your email address is set wrong, go here and fill the form out so an administrator can fix your account. Also please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that this and all future messages can reach you.
    Yet, as you can see, I'm still allowed to post.

ForeverAutumn2
    I can't edit my previous posts and I can't give rep points (thought I'd pat myself on the back while I'm here but...nope...can't. ).

Hummm... that is a loop hole in the system -

Thanks

-adam

you didn't get this message?

"
    atomicAdam02, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    "

This is what I get when I try to post with my test account. I'll check out the difference in the user permissions.

So - did you get the automatic Welcome Email and then a second one from me about writing to allow you to post on the forum.

We you able to post w/o see either of these emails?

Or if you saw the 1st one did you click on the link to move your from the 'user awaiting authentication' to a 'forum user'?

Thanks,
    -adam

When I registered, things went kind of wierdly.

I registered with my Yahoo address and it said that address was already registed (but I don't recall ever using it to register). So I used my work address, but then I got a message saying that user name (ForeverAutumn2) was already in use, so I assumed that I actually was registered using the Yahoo address. I logged in and I could post, although I did get the message above. I never recieved any emails to my Yahoo account.

However, I just checked my work email account and did receive this email...

Hi -
    Welcome to AudioReview.com.
    Due to the high amount of spam we have been experiencing lately we are currently verifying each new user before allowing them to post on the forums.
    If you just plan to review a product, please proceed and thank you very much for using AudioReview.com.
    Please write something to let me know why you’d like to join the AudioReview forums.
    Thank you,
    - AudioReview Admin

But I never recieved anything with a link for me to confirm my registration.

If you want to delete the ForeverAutumn2 account. I'll try again.

Yeah - that is kind of strange -

Ok - i'll delete that account and we'll try again.

Thanks,
    -adam

Ok - delete - LMK how it goes w/ round two

Thanks,
    -adam

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I've received the welcome email but haven't yet clicked the link. It appears that I do not have the ability to post except on this Feedback/Discussion board. Just testing this before I complete my registration.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    So before I clicked the link I could post only on this forum (as above). I couldn't edit my post or add rep points. I also didn't have the "New Posts" link in the menu. After clicking the link, I appear to now have full function on all forums. I even gave myself a little rep boost for fun (forgive me JohnMichael).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information