I hereby quit !!

Printable View

  • 06-17-2005, 05:47 PM
    Florian
    need to get this off my chest
    Over the past years/month as a moderator and user I have seen many systems, some good, some very good, most bad and I find it harder and harder everyday to commit myself to moderate/write in an audio gallery/forum that is not about high-end but about hifi. Of course hifi should have a place in society, but i look for forums which were meant to be for people to share experiences so the ultimate in music reproduction could be obtained for all who are interested.

    However, during the past couple of months, I have only helped out other people while I was anxiously waiting for some input of equal level, but I noticed a vast increase in entry level systems that should not be thrown around with High End systems. Since there is no ending in these kind of discussions (300$ bookshelv vs. 20K fullrange). I hereby resign as a moderator and member because i simply cant stand it anymore.

    I know i was definetly not always neutral or nice, but a lot depends on each other and this is stressing me endlessly. Members that have nothing better to do than envy people with high price tag systems will bring this forum down. The GOAL should not be to find the biggest deal on the net! The GOAL should be to find the ultimate in music reproduction to ones best ability.

    -Flo

    PS: There are many nice people on this forum, and i am not generalising here!
  • 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM
    N. Abstentia
    High end systems are nice, but the people who own them only represent maybe 10% of the buying public..of which .01% of them come here.

    You've got more money invested in just your turntable than lots of people have in their whole systems!
  • 06-17-2005, 06:04 PM
    bjornb17
    that sucks florian. I hope its not because of people like me who are still with their first sound system.
  • 06-17-2005, 06:08 PM
    cam
    Well, since you are quiting, get lost and don't come back you high end audio snob. Actually, sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you have had an inner emotional tug of war for sometime now. Do me just one favour before you go, dean martin has set up a main event topic in the steal cage and everybody has been antissapating a battle between you and rga. Just don't use any racial slurs or profanity and give us some good old brawlin entertainment.
  • 06-17-2005, 06:11 PM
    PAT.P
    Florian Im sorry you fill this way.Some of us have family ,kids ,mortgage and cant afford a system like you .We use this forum for input and advice .I loved your picks and your system .In future I would like to own some high end gear like yours .I really love this site and if because you fill $$$$ vs the people is a priority thats your choice.Pat.P
  • 06-17-2005, 06:45 PM
    Peter Duminy
    Sorry to see you leave feeling this way. Not an easy job at the best of times either I would think.
  • 06-17-2005, 06:49 PM
    T BOMB25
    i herby quit
    Now Florian i have only been on here a couple of days i only have question for you now i know you have a system that costs at least 50,000us are you the kind of guy who wouldnt consider a great system that costs 5000us as high end even it out performs a system that costs 20,000us system please answer this you like you are very knowlegeble i would like to know this before you quit because if you think like that than you are a snob not an audiophile but moneyphile so can you give me and answer?
  • 06-17-2005, 07:12 PM
    jasmit
    I can't say that I blame you. If you're not having fun, what's the point? By the way, having been twice a resident of Bavaria and a visitor many times since, I must say it is one of my favorite places on the planet. Viel Gluck und Auf Wiedersehen.
  • 06-17-2005, 07:31 PM
    Peter_Klim
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by T BOMB25
    Now Florian i have only been on here a couple of days i only have question for you now i know you have a system that costs at least 50,000us are you the kind of guy who wouldnt consider a great system that costs 5000us as high end even it out performs a system that costs 20,000us system please answer this you like you are very knowlegeble i would like to know this before you quit because if you think like that than you are a snob not an audiophile but moneyphile so can you give me and answer?

    And I've been here for years and can tell you that I think I know what you think and if that's what you think then you are correct.
  • 06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
    RGA
    The thing is Flo of all the people on this forum while we have argued i can relate a little more to you than some other people -- ignoring the equipment for the time being -- I understand what an up hill battle it is to discuss with people who have not "EXPERIENCED" what you have heard the SAME way you experienced it. In other words I get what it is like to hear something that in one's opinion compekltely destrys everything they have ever heard by such a margin that it would be like the World Series Boston Red Sox playing a 5 year old little girls team (and the last place 5 year old little girl's team).

    So you come onto a forum and you want to tell everyone that holy crap I've been listening for 15 years to all this stuff and it's all a pile of crap what you've been told by the press and marketers and here is the "panacea" of music reproduction that actually sounds "right" --- never of course thinking that people will look at you as some sort of liar shill or every other name in the book. So I get your "passion" for your equipment and in fact I'm probably the ONLY person on this entire board who does becuase you and i may be the only people who like our systems to such a degree that we want to tell everyone about it. We may disagree on the "system" itself but it's no different than me saying Schindler's List is the best American film and some other guy arguing for Citizen Kane - The film that gives you the ultimate life changing cathartic experience is the one you're probably going to think is best.

    What I came to realize is that all it's going to lead to is endless arguments. many people will believe that because they can only afford $300.00 on speakers that anyone who spends more wasted their money - or $3000.00 etc. Is it surprising to you?

    There are people who believe that $500.00 turntable set-up is better than the best CD player in the world - that any speaker that is not a horn is crap, that without tubes you lose. There are others who think if you don't spend $50,000 you have nothing worthwhile to listen to.

    There is a problem with using hi-fi and high-end. I have made the mistake several times of using these terms and i fear I learned them from the magazines -- they mean next to nothing. I tried to illustrate thet hi-fi is a technically very well made solid product in engineering terms but often a mecahnical and unengaging presentation that to me isn;t musical. High End I tried to explain as possibly being just as good or better in engineering terms or possibly even worse but sound organic rich and never fatiguing dry and uninvolving.

    Even with that one gets into even bigger trouble because you're perceived as insulting everyone's decisions - ask anyone here about me and Paradigm --- I've attempted to avoid getting into flames with these people - because I've realised that chances are if they love those speakers they just do not hear it the same way I do -- I've had roughly 5 Paradigm owners take me up on going to Soundhounds and listening to the speakers I've suggested all five agree with me 4 have since bought them and the other is exploring several other options because if a no name can do that to the conglomorate maybe other no names can also do it.

    You are not going to convince people you are right no one is all of the time and not everyone is going to like what you propose they should. I don't see this forum as a problem -- if a person has $300.00 to spend then don;t try and get them to spend $50,000.00. You suggest what you think is good for $300.00 -- if you don't think there is anything good at $300.00 don't answer the thread

    I take a tremendous beating on this forum from practically everyone and I have said several times that's it I'm going to get off here -- but the satisfaction of seeing a person who simply auditioned a suggestion i made and know they are way happier now than they were with the usual stuff keeps me here to get blasted called names.

    I have learned largely to word myself slightly differently -- I use Woochifer as a guage in fact about what i've said -- I figure if he is not blasting me -- then I've successfuly worded my post in a way that gets my opinion across without coming across as a snot...Since April I figure for the msot part I'm wording myself a bit better. Unfortunately they closed the last thread so I could not reply to him.

    Good Luck with wherever you go.
  • 06-17-2005, 07:45 PM
    Peter_Klim
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    The thing is Flo of all the people on this forum while we have argued i can relate a little more to you than some other people -- ignoring the equipment for the time being -- I understand what an up hill battle it is to discuss with people who have not "EXPERIENCED" what you have heard the SAME way you experienced it. In other words I get what it is like to hear something that in one's opinion compekltely destrys everything they have ever heard by such a margin that it would be like the World Series Boston Red Sox playing a 5 year old little girls team (and the last place 5 year old little girl's team).

    So you come onto a forum and you want to tell everyone that holy crap I've been listening for 15 years to all this stuff and it's all a pile of crap what you've been told by the press and marketers and here is the "panacea" of music reproduction that actually sounds "right" --- never of course thinking that people will look at you as some sort of liar shill or every other name in the book. So I get your "passion" for your equipment and in fact I'm probably the ONLY person on this entire board who does becuase you and i may be the only people who like our systems to such a degree that we want to tell everyone about it. We may disagree on the "system" itself but it's no different than me saying Schindler's List is the best American film and some other guy arguing for Citizen Kane - The film that gives you the ultimate life changing cathartic experience is the one you're probably going to think is best.

    What I came to realize is that all it's going to lead to is endless arguments. many people will believe that because they can only afford $300.00 on speakers that anyone who spends more wasted their money - or $3000.00 etc. Is it surprising to you?

    There are people who believe that $500.00 turntable set-up is better than the best CD player in the world - that any speaker that is not a horn is crap, that without tubes you lose. There are others who think if you don't spend $50,000 you have nothing worthwhile to listen to.

    There is a problem with using hi-fi and high-end. I have made the mistake several times of using these terms and i fear I learned them from the magazines -- they mean next to nothing. I tried to illustrate thet hi-fi is a technically very well made solid product in engineering terms but often a mecahnical and unengaging presentation that to me isn;t musical. High End I tried to explain as possibly being just as good or better in engineering terms or possibly even worse but sound organic rich and never fatiguing dry and uninvolving.

    Even with that one gets into even bigger trouble because you're perceived as insulting everyone's decisions - ask anyone here about me and Paradigm --- I've attempted to avoid getting into flames with these people - because I've realised that chances are if they love those speakers they just do not hear it the same way I do -- I've had roughly 5 Paradigm owners take me up on going to Soundhounds and listening to the speakers I've suggested all five agree with me 4 have since bought them and the other is exploring several other options because if a no name can do that to the conglomorate maybe other no names can also do it.

    You are not going to convince people you are right no one is all of the time and not everyone is going to like what you propose they should. I don't see this forum as a problem -- if a person has $300.00 to spend then don;t try and get them to spend $50,000.00. You suggest what you think is good for $300.00 -- if you don't think there is anything good at $300.00 don't answer the thread

    I take a tremendous beating on this forum from practically everyone and I have said several times that's it I'm going to get off here -- but the satisfaction of seeing a person who simply auditioned a suggestion i made and know they are way happier now than they were with the usual stuff keeps me here to get blasted called names.

    I have learned largely to word myself slightly differently -- I use Woochifer as a guage in fact about what i've said -- I figure if he is not blasting me -- then I've successfuly worded my post in a way that gets my opinion across without coming across as a snot...Since April I figure for the msot part I'm wording myself a bit better. Unfortunately they closed the last thread so I could not reply to him.

    Good Luck with wherever you go.

    I never viewed you as a snob...
  • 06-17-2005, 08:38 PM
    mixadude
    Wow, I just got here, but I definately feel your pain.

    My dad always sez, "Everybody's got a monkey on their back". He was a music teacher during my childhood, fwiw.

    I'm a professional soundman since 1977, when I was in my mid 20s. Sometimes it's hard to relate, but when and if I finally can, sometimes it's worth it. And other times it's a long dry spell.

    I don't have endless resources to committ to my personal playback system in my dwelling, nor do I have a space to modify to my liking (I recently lost my house). Does that mean I can't make some pretty impressive noise here? Absolutely not. I'm also a lifelong artist and take great artistic license with my equipment. But I always appreciate seeing where somebody has taken the time, money, and commitment necessary to achive absolute nirvana, and i guess that's why I'm lurking around here now.

    All that being said, do what you gotta do. Sorry you might not be around.

    Gene
  • 06-17-2005, 08:54 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Over the past years/month as a moderator and user I have seen many systems, some good, some very good, most bad and I find it harder and harder everyday to commit myself to moderate/write in an audio gallery/forum that is not about high-end but about hifi. Of course hifi should have a place in society, but i look for forums which were meant to be for people to share experiences so the ultimate in music reproduction could be obtained for all who are interested.

    Hmmm, I never saw the sign on the terms of service that dictated that the AR forums would be all about high end audio only. Shame on us for discussing "hifi" in your rarified presence.

    If you want to look for a different forum and discussion than what gets tossed around on this board, then by all means find your place and go there. I hope you're happier wherever you wind up. These kinds of self-serving "I quit" threads are nothing more than parting shots intended to tell others on a particular board that they're not worthy.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    However, during the past couple of months, I have only helped out other people while I was anxiously waiting for some input of equal level, but I noticed a vast increase in entry level systems that should not be thrown around with High End systems.

    Input of equal level? You mean, your input is more important, valid, and useful just because you own a "high end" system?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Since there is no ending in these kind of discussions (300$ bookshelv vs. 20K fullrange). I hereby resign as a moderator and member because i simply cant stand it anymore.

    No ending? I've not seen ANY discussions on this board comparing $300 bookshelfs with $20k full range speakers, yet you're telling us that you see "no ending in these kinds of discussions." If you're "resigning" over something as imaginary/rhetorical/fabricated as that, then this quitter thread is even more pointless than the others that I've seen over the years.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    I know i was definetly not always neutral or nice, but a lot depends on each other and this is stressing me endlessly. Members that have nothing better to do than envy people with high price tag systems will bring this forum down. The GOAL should not be to find the biggest deal on the net! The GOAL should be to find the ultimate in music reproduction to ones best ability.

    And other members have nothing better to do than to expect everybody else to either spend the equivalent of a second mortgage on an audio system, or to fawn at their feet and hang on their every word just because of the equipment that they own.

    If this is "stressing [you] endlessly" then you should take a step back and just enjoy the damn system that spent so much effort building and bragging about. Something tells me that more listening and less typing will help your mindset considerably. Good luck.
  • 06-17-2005, 09:30 PM
    cam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Hmmm, I never saw the sign on the terms of service that dictated that the AR forums would be all about high end audio only. Shame on us for discussing "hifi" in your rarified presence.

    If you want to look for a different forum and discussion than what gets tossed around on this board, then by all means find your place and go there. I hope you're happier wherever you wind up. These kinds of self-serving "I quit" threads are nothing more than parting shots intended to tell others on a particular board that they're not worthy.



    Input of equal level? You mean, your input is more important, valid, and useful just because you own a "high end" system?



    No ending? I've not seen ANY discussions on this board comparing $300 bookshelfs with $20k full range speakers, yet you're telling us that you see "no ending in these kinds of discussions." If you're "resigning" over something as imaginary/rhetorical/fabricated as that, then this quitter thread is even more pointless than the others that I've seen over the years.



    And other members have nothing better to do than to expect everybody else to either spend the equivalent of a second mortgage on an audio system, or to fawn at their feet and hang on their every word just because of the equipment that they own.

    If this is "stressing [you] endlessly" then you should take a step back and just enjoy the damn system that spent so much effort building and bragging about. Something tells me that more listening and less typing will help your mindset considerably. Good luck.

    Well said Wooch. My mind thinks just like yours but I just can't put it to type like you can. A very intelligent reply on your part.
  • 06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
    polkymon
    Hate to see a fellow hi-ender :confused: go. Still much for me to learn, Best of luck to you.



    :(

    Main System:
    Prell 6000 preamp w/conditioner
    Fluffernutter amp xtra-crunchy
    Wilson Phillips bi-polar 3-way
    Schnell ! Schnell ! surrounds
    Hunch backs
    Pastrami sub
    Turntable: Layzsuzin w/Gerbilzonassid drive
    Stands: Vintage purple Mel Krates by Kraml

    Cables:
    Speaker: Golden Gate 1 guage $3300/in.(great stuff but bad for imaging. Maybe it's because I could only afford 1/4 inch each?)
    Interconnects: ( Dunno what that is.)


    :D
  • 06-17-2005, 10:08 PM
    RGA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by polkymon
    Hate to see a fellow hi-ender :confused: go. Still much for me to learn, Best of luck to you.



    :(

    Main System:
    Prell 6000 preamp w/conditioner
    Fluffernutter amp xtra-crunchy
    Wilson Phillips bi-polar 3-way
    Schnell ! Schnell ! surrounds
    Hunch backs
    Pastrami sub
    Turntable: Layzsuzin w/Gerbilzonassid drive
    Stands: Vintage purple Mel Krates by Kraml

    Cables:
    Speaker: Golden Gate 1 guage $3300/in.(great stuff but bad for imaging. Maybe it's because I could only afford 1/4 inch each?)
    Interconnects: ( Dunno what that is.)


    :D


    All i can say is that you have an awesome system man and i am very very envious :D
  • 06-17-2005, 11:24 PM
    mixadude
    Oh well, sorry... I been around long enough to tell ya not to let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya...

    That time hasn't necessarilly been here, but I been mixin fer Bonnie, Stevie, Lobos, Tierra, Caniballs, TBS, CBS, Marshal Crenshaw, and others ...

    I've also had my hand in extremely high end studios. You are deluding yourself.

    Good luck... Gene
  • 06-18-2005, 12:46 AM
    T BOMB25
    i hearby quit
    Hey Peter Klim! he didnt answer me so i guess we right.Woochifer very well said,Cam ruthless but honest i like it Mix that was funny let us real audiophiles have good objective discussions.Boy some real suckups on here i wont say any names but you know who you are im a little suprised about someone im still unimpressed ! ! !
  • 06-18-2005, 01:20 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    High end systems are nice, but the people who own them only represent maybe 10% of the buying public..of which .01% of them come here.

    You've got more money invested in just your turntable than lots of people have in their whole systems!

    And that is fine, i started with a Onkyo TX-DS555 and some Infinity RS3's. I have no issue with starter systems.
  • 06-18-2005, 01:20 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bjornb17
    that sucks florian. I hope its not because of people like me who are still with their first sound system.

    Ofcourse not, i started too. Its a fun time :-)
  • 06-18-2005, 01:22 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cam
    Well, since you are quiting, get lost and don't come back you high end audio snob. Actually, sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you have had an inner emotional tug of war for sometime now. Do me just one favour before you go, dean martin has set up a main event topic in the steal cage and everybody has been antissapating a battle between you and rga. Just don't use any racial slurs or profanity and give us some good old brawlin entertainment.

    High End Audio snob, i wouldnt have to be if people like you understood that a 300$ bookshelf speaker will never even scratch a Infinity Epsilon or Apogee. But no, people like you cant take comments from High End peopl, because you feel insulted and start arguments over money.
  • 06-18-2005, 01:24 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Florian Im sorry you fill this way.Some of us have family ,kids ,mortgage and cant afford a system like you .We use this forum for input and advice .I loved your picks and your system .In future I would like to own some high end gear like yours .I really love this site and if because you fill $$$$ vs the people is a priority thats your choice.Pat.P

    I dont put $$$$ vs. people. But the people will little money dont accept any tips from the people who have the cash to test out the systems for them. I had over 9 Receivers and can tell ya all about them, but people just dont listen....
  • 06-18-2005, 01:25 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Peter Duminy
    Sorry to see you leave feeling this way. Not an easy job at the best of times either I would think.

    It is not an job at all, and people like PeterK, Itch etc... dont make it easier.
  • 06-18-2005, 01:29 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by T BOMB25
    Now Florian i have only been on here a couple of days i only have question for you now i know you have a system that costs at least 50,000us are you the kind of guy who wouldnt consider a great system that costs 5000us as high end even it out performs a system that costs 20,000us system please answer this you like you are very knowlegeble i would like to know this before you quit because if you think like that than you are a snob not an audiophile but moneyphile so can you give me and answer?

    Well first off a 5000$ system can be High End if done right, but you will never build a system for 5K and then for 20K and beat it. Its not gonna happen. A Nautilus 804 etc.. will never touch a system around a Wilson Watt Puppy. A 5K systemw ill never ever touch a Kharma 3.1 or 3.2...... it just wont happen.

    I dont care about the price tag, i want the ULTIMATE and i will SAVE UP untill i get it.
  • 06-18-2005, 01:29 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jasmit
    I can't say that I blame you. If you're not having fun, what's the point? By the way, having been twice a resident of Bavaria and a visitor many times since, I must say it is one of my favorite places on the planet. Viel Gluck und Auf Wiedersehen.

    Right you are. And if your ever close, just stop by and will have some good beers and music.
  • 06-18-2005, 01:31 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
    And I've been here for years and can tell you that I think I know what you think and if that's what you think then you are correct.

    Actually you dont, and you never will because you are not there yet.
  • 06-18-2005, 01:32 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    The thing is Flo of all the people on this forum while we have argued i can relate a little more to you than some other people -- ignoring the equipment for the time being -- I understand what an up hill battle it is to discuss with people who have not "EXPERIENCED" what you have heard the SAME way you experienced it. In other words I get what it is like to hear something that in one's opinion compekltely destrys everything they have ever heard by such a margin that it would be like the World Series Boston Red Sox playing a 5 year old little girls team (and the last place 5 year old little girl's team).

    So you come onto a forum and you want to tell everyone that holy crap I've been listening for 15 years to all this stuff and it's all a pile of crap what you've been told by the press and marketers and here is the "panacea" of music reproduction that actually sounds "right" --- never of course thinking that people will look at you as some sort of liar shill or every other name in the book. So I get your "passion" for your equipment and in fact I'm probably the ONLY person on this entire board who does becuase you and i may be the only people who like our systems to such a degree that we want to tell everyone about it. We may disagree on the "system" itself but it's no different than me saying Schindler's List is the best American film and some other guy arguing for Citizen Kane - The film that gives you the ultimate life changing cathartic experience is the one you're probably going to think is best.

    What I came to realize is that all it's going to lead to is endless arguments. many people will believe that because they can only afford $300.00 on speakers that anyone who spends more wasted their money - or $3000.00 etc. Is it surprising to you?

    There are people who believe that $500.00 turntable set-up is better than the best CD player in the world - that any speaker that is not a horn is crap, that without tubes you lose. There are others who think if you don't spend $50,000 you have nothing worthwhile to listen to.

    There is a problem with using hi-fi and high-end. I have made the mistake several times of using these terms and i fear I learned them from the magazines -- they mean next to nothing. I tried to illustrate thet hi-fi is a technically very well made solid product in engineering terms but often a mecahnical and unengaging presentation that to me isn;t musical. High End I tried to explain as possibly being just as good or better in engineering terms or possibly even worse but sound organic rich and never fatiguing dry and uninvolving.

    Even with that one gets into even bigger trouble because you're perceived as insulting everyone's decisions - ask anyone here about me and Paradigm --- I've attempted to avoid getting into flames with these people - because I've realised that chances are if they love those speakers they just do not hear it the same way I do -- I've had roughly 5 Paradigm owners take me up on going to Soundhounds and listening to the speakers I've suggested all five agree with me 4 have since bought them and the other is exploring several other options because if a no name can do that to the conglomorate maybe other no names can also do it.

    You are not going to convince people you are right no one is all of the time and not everyone is going to like what you propose they should. I don't see this forum as a problem -- if a person has $300.00 to spend then don;t try and get them to spend $50,000.00. You suggest what you think is good for $300.00 -- if you don't think there is anything good at $300.00 don't answer the thread

    I take a tremendous beating on this forum from practically everyone and I have said several times that's it I'm going to get off here -- but the satisfaction of seeing a person who simply auditioned a suggestion i made and know they are way happier now than they were with the usual stuff keeps me here to get blasted called names.

    I have learned largely to word myself slightly differently -- I use Woochifer as a guage in fact about what i've said -- I figure if he is not blasting me -- then I've successfuly worded my post in a way that gets my opinion across without coming across as a snot...Since April I figure for the msot part I'm wording myself a bit better. Unfortunately they closed the last thread so I could not reply to him.

    Good Luck with wherever you go.

    Thanks RGA, you actually understood my point exactly and i know how you and i feel about out audio systems and we know exactly what the differences are between HIFI and High End.

    Thanks
  • 06-18-2005, 01:34 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mixadude
    Wow, I just got here, but I definately feel your pain.

    My dad always sez, "Everybody's got a monkey on their back". He was a music teacher during my childhood, fwiw.

    I'm a professional soundman since 1977, when I was in my mid 20s. Sometimes it's hard to relate, but when and if I finally can, sometimes it's worth it. And other times it's a long dry spell.

    I don't have endless resources to committ to my personal playback system in my dwelling, nor do I have a space to modify to my liking (I recently lost my house). Does that mean I can't make some pretty impressive noise here? Absolutely not. I'm also a lifelong artist and take great artistic license with my equipment. But I always appreciate seeing where somebody has taken the time, money, and commitment necessary to achive absolute nirvana, and i guess that's why I'm lurking around here now.

    All that being said, do what you gotta do. Sorry you might not be around.

    Gene

    The difference is that YOU have the knowledge. You wouldnt take a 300$ bookshelf speaker and say its only a little bit worse than a Watt Puppy or a Apogee Duetta. You know the difference and you can apreciate the difference between HIFI and High End
  • 06-18-2005, 01:36 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Hmmm, I never saw the sign on the terms of service that dictated that the AR forums would be all about high end audio only. Shame on us for discussing "hifi" in your rarified presence.

    If you want to look for a different forum and discussion than what gets tossed around on this board, then by all means find your place and go there. I hope you're happier wherever you wind up. These kinds of self-serving "I quit" threads are nothing more than parting shots intended to tell others on a particular board that they're not worthy.



    Input of equal level? You mean, your input is more important, valid, and useful just because you own a "high end" system?



    No ending? I've not seen ANY discussions on this board comparing $300 bookshelfs with $20k full range speakers, yet you're telling us that you see "no ending in these kinds of discussions." If you're "resigning" over something as imaginary/rhetorical/fabricated as that, then this quitter thread is even more pointless than the others that I've seen over the years.



    And other members have nothing better to do than to expect everybody else to either spend the equivalent of a second mortgage on an audio system, or to fawn at their feet and hang on their every word just because of the equipment that they own.

    If this is "stressing [you] endlessly" then you should take a step back and just enjoy the damn system that spent so much effort building and bragging about. Something tells me that more listening and less typing will help your mindset considerably. Good luck.

    I dont brag about the system, i just post pictures because i want to SHARE my experiences. But all i get in the gallery is some ****head comments and everyone considers ot bragging because they cant afford it.
  • 06-18-2005, 01:38 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by T BOMB25
    Hey Peter Klim! he didnt answer me so i guess we right.Woochifer very well said,Cam ruthless but honest i like it Mix that was funny let us real audiophiles have good objective discussions.Boy some real suckups on here i wont say any names but you know who you are im a little suprised about someone im still unimpressed ! ! !

    Sad that you have no idea what your missing. And you just started....
  • 06-18-2005, 02:29 AM
    Geoffcin
    Most of the time
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA

    I take a tremendous beating on this forum from practically everyone .

    Good Luck with wherever you go.

    You deserve what you get. And you give a lot more than you get, that's for sure.
  • 06-18-2005, 02:34 AM
    Geoffcin
    You'll be back
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Sad that you have no idea what your missing. And you just started....

    Once you realize that the only way people can pull your chain is if you let them.

    Audioreview.com has the best forums on the web. It's the reason I stay. If you want to persue your hobby someplace else that's fine. But be assured that your going to run into the same problems you have here somewhere else, as most of what it bothering you is self inflicted.

    Good luck!
  • 06-18-2005, 02:50 AM
    Florian
    Audioreview has the BIGGEST community. I am in another forum for a long time, and there are 0 problems, 0 fights and only constructive arguments.

    -Flo

    PS: But enough of that, i have said what i wanted to say and a few people actually got it.
  • 06-18-2005, 03:35 AM
    Feanor
    I WILL miss you, Florian
    You've been a lot of fun for me and many others I dare say, but if you're not having fun yourself, then I guess it's time to bail.

    You have a great system, (or systems), and I enjoy looking at them very much. I'll never own a system like that. I'm one of those guys whose going to have to do with a $5000 kit -- and not because I can't appreciate a $20k system or a $500k one for that matter.

    And I grant that the, "What's the best 5.1 surround system for under $200?" questions are boring, but some of those people will expand their horizons with encouragement.

    Pardon a few negative comments about yourself, because basically you're a good guy:

    First, your technical knowledge does not begin to approach that of various members. These people can speak solid science and fact whereas you speak opinion most often. Even I can do that much!;)

    Second, don't delude yourself that you're anywhere near the top of high-end, (I'm not saying you do). If you want to see real :cool: high-end, check out mikel's equipment and listening room ...
    Thirdly, you haven't learned yet -- as RGA has begun to -- that there are other valid opinions and perspectives besides your own.

    Anyway, maybe we'll see you again somewhere. Enjoy.
  • 06-18-2005, 03:47 AM
    markw
    "Input of equal level"? "High end sytems"?
    Flo, yuo seemed like a nice guy with lota of bucks to throw at a fairly expensive system. I (we?) don't begrudge you that pleasure but, please understand, not everyone is in a financial position to be able to do that.

    But, everyone is in a position to eke the most pleasure out of what they can afford.

    It's that group that needs the most here. After all, with enough money, many problems can be made to disappear. It's geting the most on a tight budget that is more difficult. You'll find more mid priced systems here than the "high end" systems here and, like it ot not, that's a fact of life in general.

    Sometimes, ya gotta drive that Mercedes next to a Hyundai in this world.
  • 06-18-2005, 04:05 AM
    shokhead
    $Bye$
  • 06-18-2005, 04:09 AM
    Florian
    Its funny how everyone says i have tons of dough to spend. I don't. I have this as my primary hobby for 5 years and just upgraded and got lucky. I am not at the top of High End eventough the speakers are. Thats why i am working on the rest and i post many pictures and systems. But the general feedback is simply idiotic. Look at the comments "$Bye$" or "we the real audiophiles". Those are a joke and naming a B&W 800 in the same breath as a Scintilla, Watt Puppy or ML Prodigy is a joke too. I have enjoyed many people on this forum and their systems, but the simple fact is that most of them have no clue abut this hobby, have never heard or had a High End system and will argue you to the death about the 300$ Paradigm speakers.

    -Flo
  • 06-18-2005, 04:58 AM
    kexodusc
    So, when you say you quit, the effective date and time is what, exactly?
  • 06-18-2005, 05:33 AM
    gonefishin
    Hi Florian :)



    You sure do sound frustrated. Perhaps just stepping down and taking a new look at audio sites is required.

    I've found that different audio sites offer me different things at different times. So, I just accept that and "use" the various sites for the purpose that they fullfill the best.

    These are my personal reasons for using various audio sites and may change at any time as I see fit. My view of a site may change from time to time as my needs, wants or views change.

    My suggestion would be not to view a site as you would like to see it. But view each site for what it is...and take advantage of those parts of each site that fit with your needs or personality.

    dan
  • 06-18-2005, 05:37 AM
    GMichael
    Sorry to see you go Flo
    I have only been on this forum for a couple of months, but your advice has helped durring that time. I've notivced that you haven't been posting as much lately. When I saw your post yesterday with pictures of your new set up I thought that maybe you had just been busy. But I guess you just don't enjoy some of the conversations you have been in here.

    I can see why you would want to find another forum, one that only or mostly has people like yourself with very hi end systems so that you can receive advice from someone instead of always giving it. In many cases, I see that advice here is met with sarcasm and critisism.

    But I hope that you will miss us and throw in a few words of wisdom from time to time. Maybe all you need is a break.

    Remember, there will always be people who can't take advice. Even when they ask for it. That's everywhere. I've done it myself.

    Take care, good luck, and don't forget to visit.

    Michael