Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I'm sorry you feel that way. One of the main reasons I visit this site is the variety of personalities here. I first encountered your posts in the gallery and I was impressed with what your were putting together. I was also a little surprised. The systems you were putting together were a little more expensive than those of the average poster here. But again it's the variety of personalities here that make this place interesting for me. There's quite a bit of wit bantered about here in addition to the very practical information.

When I first saw your pics in the gallery, my gut reaction was that you could share some of your experiences with the really best gear but that you probably would not get much in return. I guess that's how it turned out for you with a couple of caveats. I think in some cases you've mistaken attacks for poor attempts at light-hearted wit or humor. I'll admit that my main event post in the steel cage is not as funny as I originally thought. If it had been funny and friendly to you and RGA then maybe one of you would have responded.

On the other hand, I think you may need to find that line between passion and obsession. It may be the langauge barrier that prevents you from being a little more light-hearted, but I think it's probably your obsessiveness. One day when you have time, pick up a copy of Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. If you've already read it, then read it again. I think it provides a very accurate description of the differences between obsession and passion - obsessed by the girl and passionate for bullfighting. The interesting thing is that the passionate or the afficiando likes to commune with others having the same passion, but they rarely discuss that thing they are passionate about. But when they do, it's a sense of like-minded euphoria with very little disagreement. If that's what you're looking for, then great! But I'm not sure it is.

I do see your point though. I had a system for almost 12 years and never gave much thought to its quality. When my amp started to go bad I decided to get a new system. I found this site and received some excellent advice about current products. But I took the wrong approach. I got what I thought would be the best system for the least amount of money without going to circuit city or bestbuy. I'm getting ready to replace my 2channel stereo system. I'm still a minimalist at heart, but I can be a minimalist without being cheap. My plans are to get a pair of low watt tube monoblocks, a tube preamp, a tube cd player (or maybe a seperate dac - no tubes), a better turntable/cartridge combo, and a pair of relatively high-effiency bookshelf speakers that are extended as possible in both frequency ranges. This won't be "cheap" for me, but based on my listening experiences it will suit my tastes, sound great to me and will be consistent with my "minimalist" worldview. I just hope my pursuit remains a passion rather than becoming an obsession.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Enquiring minds want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I'm getting ready to replace my 2channel stereo system. I'm still a minimalist at heart, but I can be a minimalist without being cheap. My plans are to get a pair of low watt tube monoblocks, a tube preamp, a tube cd player (or maybe a seperate dac - no tubes), a better turntable/cartridge combo, and a pair of relatively high-effiency bookshelf speakers that are extended as possible in both frequency ranges. This won't be "cheap" for me, but based on my listening experiences it will suit my tastes, sound great to me and will be consistent with my "minimalist" worldview. I just hope my pursuit remains a passion rather than becoming an obsession.
    What components have you been considering?

While I ocassionally shake the neighborhood, I'm really a minimalist at heart. I am about to make a jump myself and put some valves into the system. My CD player seems to be getting a bit long in the tooth, and there's a lot better tech out now with upsampling CD players.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Check out the Unison Researc unico CD then ;-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    What components have you been considering?

While I ocassionally shake the neighborhood, I'm really a minimalist at heart. I am about to make a jump myself and put some valves into the system. My CD player seems to be getting a bit long in the tooth, and there's a lot better tech out now with upsampling CD players.
    I have a small study where I do all my real 2 channel listening. I'm 99.9% sure on the speakers and monoblocks - Soliloquy 5.0 and Quicksilver Mini Monos. Although the 5.0s have been replaced, they're still readily available new, at least for now. It gets a little more complicated with the preamp because I need a phono section. There are some interesting tube line stage preamps out there and some interesting seperate phono preamps (tube and ss) which might work well together.

I'm about 50/50 on the digital front end - either the Jolida 100A tube cd player or something like the Benchmark Media Dac. This might change if I get a chance to listen to something like a Naim or Simaudio. But before I take the plunge, I do want to listen to something with upsampling ability.

I had a Jolida JD3000b preamp which was quite good for the money. A bit lacking in the bass department tough. The Unison CD has a 192khz 24bit upsampler with tube output :-)

Didn't Soliloquy go out of buisness?

I have a small study where I do all my real 2 channel listening. I'm 99.9% sure on the speakers and monoblocks - Soliloquy 5.0 and Quicksilver Mini Monos. Although the 5.0s have been replaced, they're still readily available new, at least for now. It gets a little more complicated with the preamp because I need a phono section. There are some interesting tube line stage preamps out there and some interesting seperate phono preamps (tube and ss) which might work well together.

I'm about 50/50 on the digital front end - either the Jolida 100A tube cd player or something like the Benchmark Media Dac. This might change if I get a chance to listen to something like a Naim or Simaudio. But before I take the plunge, I do want to listen to something with upsampling ability.
    I seem to remember that happening a few years back? If not then I'm happy, we need more American speaker makers to stay in business.

I've heard of the Quicksilvers. They, along with Outlaw Audio have brought tubes to a price point that most people can reach. I don't even know if Outlaw has monblocks in this range, so Quicksilver might be the only game in town. Have you looked at the Bottlehead stuff? It's worth a look, if only for the sexy model they use!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

I am looking at the Njoe Tjoeb 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I had a Jolida JD3000b preamp which was quite good for the money. A bit lacking in the bass department tough. The Unison CD has a 192khz 24bit upsampler with tube output :-)
    With the upsampling option. It's either this or the Shanling T100, a stunning looking player, but I'm not that keen on a top loader.

Oh, I see you've reconsidered on leaving us, smart move!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

With the upsampling option. It's either this or the Shanling T100, a stunning looking player, but I'm not that keen on a top loader.

Oh, I see you've reconsidered on leaving us, smart move!
    Well i do like to help people, i will just accept the fact that some people do not want to take my help. The Unison also has a better build quality and definetly has a more transparent and tube sound. Would be a great match with a solid state amp. The Shanlings are great too, but when i auditioned the 200 model i found it to be a little bid muddy in the midband.

-Flo

I dont put $$$$ vs. people. But the people will little money dont accept any tips from the people who have the cash to test out the systems for them. I had over 9 Receivers and can tell ya all about them, but people just dont listen....
    Florian Some of the people here are just starting out work ,family,homeownership ect,ect.Im self -employed and my wife just got unemployed.We lost lots of money in the stock market 4 year ago when the market crash.We bought what we could afford in the housing market and her friends were buying brand new custom built house in the $500 thousand + .We still own our house and they lost everything.If somebody as a budget they should stick to it.You really think I could'nt buy nice equipment it was'nt my priority at the time. Your starting to make it sound your the Lord and we the peasant.Pat.P

Dear Pat,

as i have stated many times, it is not about the money. Small systems can be a lot of fun too but they have to be implemented right just with all systems. I am 22 yrs old and have worked for my hobby very hard since i was 15. I use to cut grass in 104F for my math teacher for my first NEC SW300 subwoofer. I know the value of money ! The thing i sometimes have a problem with is that people shudder at High End systems and dont try to learn from people who own these because its unrealistic for them. I have received a few bad comments which are clearly a issue about envy.

-Flo

I seem to remember that happening a few years back? If not then I'm happy, we need more American speaker makers to stay in business.

I've heard of the Quicksilvers. They, along with Outlaw Audio have brought tubes to a price point that most people can reach. I don't even know if Outlaw has monblocks in this range, so Quicksilver might be the only game in town. Have you looked at the Bottlehead stuff? It's worth a look, if only for the sexy model they use!
    Soliloquy is still in business. Their new model line uses the same numbering system but has the "i" designation. However, the new 5.0i is actually smaller than the old 5.0 with less bass extension and is designed to be used with a sub. I think they were more closely affiliated with Cary when they were developing the old line and probably had tubes in mind during the design.

I HAVE spent a considerable amount of time at the bottlehead site - nice model! I also like the old school "minimalist" look of their products. I was thinking of going with a vinyl only system for now - putting as much into a new turntable as I can and using a phono preamp with volume control like the EAR 834P directly to the Quicksilver monoblocks. Then in phase 2, adding something like the Bottlehead Foreplay and new digital frontend.

The other path I've considered and haven't completely ruled out is a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1s, Pass Labs Aleph 30 amp, and a Cary tube preamp with headphone and phono. I would probably have to find one of the older Cary models like the SLP-88P or SLP-74P. Another consideration would be the VAC Auricle preamp which has a nice phono section but is not as expensive as the current Cary SLP-98P.

It's that digital frontend that is the most perplexing to me. I have all these cds that I don't listen to that much because the sound just doesn't hold my attention and can be irritating at times, but it's hard to believe that one would have to spend $2000 for decent cd sound when the basics of the technology have been around for so long.

I appreciate Flo's comments on the Italian gear. I've read his recommendations for the Pathos integrated. I think it would be great to hear a Unison or Pathos integrated driving some Italian speakers like Sonus Fabers with the Unison cd player, but where am I going to hear something like that? I'm doing some traveling later this summer and I plan to search out and listen to some of these brands.

Yes the Pathos Acoustics Classic one is a very nice component indeed and will match with the unison very much. I think that most new CD-players generally try to offer to many options like programming, CD, CDR, CDRW etc.. compatibility and dont focus on the basics. If you look at the Unison Research CD-Player for instance you will notice the great parts inside.

This unit uses 5 seperate power stages and has a 80 Watt transformer to feed the parts. The CD-ROM drive is from TEAC and uses a tube output stage. It does sound more warm when using the balanced outputs. Can be found relatively cheap for 2000$. Ofcourse this totally depends how much you want to spend. Another great little CD-Player i have owned is the Audio Analouge Paganini and the Rega Planet 2000 MKII. The CD drive from the Rega and AA are not very solid, but they sound great for the money.

I know how you feel.

It's that digital frontend that is the most perplexing to me. I have all these cds that I don't listen to that much because the sound just doesn't hold my attention and can be irritating at times, but it's hard to believe that one would have to spend $2000 for decent cd sound when the basics of the technology have been around for so long.
    Next to cables, digital is the most inscrutable thing for me to understand; It's just zeros and ones right?! Not really. DACs, op amps, caps, it all makes a difference. Makes my head spin sometimes.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Next to cables, digital is the most inscrutable thing for me to understand; It's just zeros and ones right?! Not really. DACs, op amps, caps, it all makes a difference. Makes my head spin sometimes.
    You can also add little sand-bags inside the player to take away resonances from the chassy. This has worked well for my friend who uses a audiomeca Mephisto.

-Flo

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Dear Pat,

as i have stated many times, it is not about the money. Small systems can be a lot of fun too but they have to be implemented right just with all systems. I am 22 yrs old and have worked for my hobby very hard since i was 15. I use to cut grass in 104F for my math teacher for my first NEC SW300 subwoofer. I know the value of money ! The thing i sometimes have a problem with is that people shudder at High End systems and dont try to learn from people who own these because its unrealistic for them. I have received a few bad comments which are clearly a issue about envy.

-Flo
    Gee,i was getting ready to tell say you kinda sound like an a$$ but now that i see your 22,that explains everything. I was cutting a 1/4 acre at 12,so. Hi end,mid priced or low end. They all do the same. Plug them end and enjoy. They all need to be tweeked,played with and upgraded. Some put wifes,kids and food and rent before this stuff. 22 will have a different order. I almost remember 22.
    Look & Listen

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You have acheived quite a system already in your life and I congratulate you. I would probably enjoy listening to such a system. It is not necessary for me to have that level of a system to enjoy music. I am sure the same music would make my foot tap, my body dance or bring tears to my eyes on either of our systems. I do enjoy reading information from folks such as yourself who own such systems. It is nice to dream. It is also nice to read about musical products in the affordable ranges. As you know we all had to start somewhere and one of the things I enjoy about this site is all the new mods and performance enhancing tricks to bring my system a little closer to the ideal. It sounds like you have a lot to offer this site but it also sounds like no ones' toys are as nice as mine so I am going home.

Well i am sorry i come across that way, it dont mean that. I will work on that, and i am sure we will get along.

-Flo

Yes, I remember the pictures of your Jolida preamp in the gallery. I immediately went to Jolida's website to check it out. Until then, I thought they just made budget-oriented integrateds and a cd player. It was equally surprising to see the Jolida pre matched with a Krell amp. What happened to that combo? I see in your equipment list that you've gone with a Krell preamp. Was it the bass deficiency that caused you to replace it?

I really must keep my cd player or dac expenses down to around $1000usd. I'm looking at a serious turntable upgrade right now and that's where my interest is. I was hoping you would catch the vinyl bug. I would love to see what kind of analog rig you would put together.

Yes, I remember the pictures of your Jolida preamp in the gallery. I immediately went to Jolida's website to check it out. Until then, I thought they just made budget-oriented integrateds and a cd player. It was equally surprising to see the Jolida pre matched with a Krell amp. What happened to that combo? I see in your equipment list that you've gone with a Krell preamp. Was it the bass deficiency that caused you to replace it?

I really must keep my cd player or dac expenses down to around $1000usd. I'm looking at a serious turntable upgrade right now and that's where my interest is. I was hoping you would catch the vinyl bug. I would love to see what kind of analog rig you would put together.
    Well the jolida did indeed sound very good for the money. Smooth, lotsa details but always a tad to slow and muddy. I tried to use the Krell Poweramp to get the speed and detail in and it did work quite well. I was looking for more depth and details and thats when i bought the Krell KRC-2.... I have enjyed that combo a lot but i am missing the musicality and the correct tonal balance and have spottet the Sphinx equipment which is extremely good and very rare. I want to try to get that sweetness and decay in and thats why i chose the Unison CDP-

I will be bitten by the upgrade bug sooner or later, but i dont have the money right now to do it correctly. Also i have a lot of CD's and dont have any records.

-Flo

Dear Pat,

-Flo
    Flo I started working by the age 10 (paper route)bought my first car at 16 was a teenage dad ,a grandfather at 39. This site realy thought me alot and still learning.I do compare speakers at different shop.The ones I pick are the ones that got my attention to my ears.I wook at churches and I do listen to alot of different music here .There a 2500 pipes organ ,String concert,Opera ect. My ears are very fine to music ,was tested with a meter that is use in dog obedience that only the dog could respond too(had a headache for two days).I was very choosy and pick what felt was the best to my ears.I never audition amp or receiver .The info I received here on receiver made me buy a Yamaha to replace a Sony.I enjoy HT for music and movies and I know I will probably add more at a later time .My wife just paid off my credit card and car loan so I need to tighten my belt for know.Pat.P

cam
    Dear Pat,

-Flo
    Now I understand. 22 years old. Oh ya, I remember those days, 12 years ago. You are dealing with people on this forum who are past those free wheeling days where feeding kids, paying the mortgage, and putting a good meal on the table are more important. When I was 22 I was more concerned with stuffing my car with bigger and better subs. I know exactley where your 22 year old mind is coming from. There will come a day, it happens to all of us whether you think it will or not, pose a question, what is the best for the least. At your immature age of 22, and I am not in no way slagging you, because I was an immature puke at 22 so I know, not that I am calling you a puke, but there will be a day where there will be a bigger importance to you then your home audio system. At 22 you will be saying, bull$hit. But when you are 32, things will be different. Unless you are an ugly bastard and not at all into women, you will be more concerned with paying the mortgage and what is the best bookshelf speaker I can get for $300. This forum is 95% ,what can I get on a small budget. If you do not want to help these people, then you don't belong here. But then again, as a moderator, you just have to keep the peace, giving your knowledge is optional. After saying what I have said, I would be a bad contributor to these forums when I was 22 because I would be totally frustrated with people who would say, what is the best and cheapest 8 inch sub for my car. Give me a break, for any car, 2 10 inch subs should be the minimum, but now I am 34, my answer would be different. I personally think that AR should screen the future moderators and make sure that the minimum age is 30. A moderator at 22 has a very narrow point of view. IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Now I understand. 22 years old. Oh ya, I remember those days, 12 years ago. You are dealing with people on this forum who are past those free wheeling days where feeding kids, paying the mortgage, and putting a good meal on the table are more important. When I was 22 I was more concerned with stuffing my car with bigger and better subs. I know exactley where your 22 year old mind is coming from. There will come a day, it happens to all of us whether you think it will or not, pose a question, what is the best for the least. At your immature age of 22, and I am not in no way slagging you, because I was an immature puke at 22 so I know, not that I am calling you a puke, but there will be a day where there will be a bigger importance to you then your home audio system. At 22 you will be saying, bull$hit. But when you are 32, things will be different. Unless you are an ugly bastard and not at all into women, you will be more concerned with paying the mortgage and what is the best bookshelf speaker I can get for $300. This forum is 95% ,what can I get on a small budget. If you do not want to help these people, then you don't belong here. But then again, as a moderator, you just have to keep the peace, giving your knowledge is optional. After saying what I have said, I would be a bad contributor to these forums when I was 22 because I would be totally frustrated with people who would say, what is the best and cheapest 8 inch sub for my car. Give me a break, for any car, 2 10 inch subs should be the minimum, but now I am 34, my answer would be different. I personally think that AR should screen the future moderators and make sure that the minimum age is 30. A moderator at 22 has a very narrow point of view. IMHO!
    I think your view is very accurate.

I'm 20 now, and I always dream about how my home theater will look like someday. But, assuming i'll get married in a few years, a lot of that is probably going to change. So I am one of those ignorant young pukes But I'm trying my best to enjoy things now, because i see how my dad has very little time for hobbies, and i have all the time in the world.

fergot... whasa XLR3?
    Wow, 22 huh? I'm impressed!

32? Try 52! Things change drastically.

When i was 24, I had already changed my profession from hifi to being a rocker (in a band) and then pro audio. I was the only guy in the hifi store I worked in to sell a set of Infinity Servo Stats that year one year (1973) when I was 20

I always tell ppl who ask... I came to be a mixer the regular way.. the band broke up, LOL.

Life's priorities change. So does your ability to hear! At least if you learn to listen young, you retain the skillset, even if the mechanical stuff starts to fail. Some ppl start hi end too late to ever know! BTW, earplugs aren't for wooses, they're for those with the wish to hear well for a long time.

Good luck dude, I'm thinkin there's more to learn here than hi end, stick around

Forum Regular
    Im 20 also, and have been into audio since i was 17 ( registed with AudioAsylum on December 5, 2002). It all started with some Kimber speaker wire, and later on $249.00 PSB Image 2b speakers. Since then its been a fun and educational experiance , and has become one of my favorite hobbies. My ear has also been trained pretty well- I now pay more attention to how everything sounds, from my car stereo to the tv in my living room to how people sound in different houses. Id say the biggest drawback to starting so young is budget and space issues. My room is currently a small 10x10 bedroom, which shares a rather large bed, a dresser and of course me. My funds, well lets just say im having some rough times. Sometimes I wonder if I should just wait till I move into a larger space,and untill I have my financial situation straightened out. On second thought nah, my system is still enjoyable and will only get better. Anyways, im glad to see there are others around the same age as me.

You guys are mild

When I was twenty two my major concern was partying and *****. I always had a decent sounding rig, but that was mostly to make noise, or cover it up! This changes as soon as house/wife/kids enter the picture so enjoy it while you can!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information