it's about the music

Anybody knows how a Goldring 1022gx compares to a Shure M97xE¿¿??

nmnmnm

I think the Goldring 1022GX is about the only cartridge in the $100.00 price-range I haven't tried. Have heard good things about Goldring. Would love to compare the 1022GX to the M97xE (my favorite so far). Maybe someday...

it's about the music
    in fact the reason i'm asking is because the goldring is slightly more expensive (list price of 300 bucks, but searching around a bit u can get it down to under 250), I paid shy of 230€ for mine but everyone seems to rave about the shure. Also the fact that the shure tracks at a much lower weight is also VERY attractive because my worse fear is wearing out my records (i have horrible nightmares at night about popping my MFSL copy of yes's Close to the Edge, lowering the needle and watch it literally rip bits of vinyl off the record... i know i'm a weird kid). So i was thinking of the sound is comparable, perhaps i could resell my nearly new 1022gx with boxanall and get the shure to bump down the tracking weight from 1.75 to 1.00 grams.
    i'd of course love to have the next up shure's line, the VM15R whatever or sth like that, but i just burnt my CPU because of overclocking and cant justify that kind of expense.

Sorry about my mistake on the price. That explains why I never bought one!!!

The optimum tracking force for the M97xE is 1.25 grams. It will track at 1 gram, but sounds a little on the thin side then. A cartridge that tracks a little heavier is safer than one that tracks poorly. Probably not worth downgrading your cartridge for a .5 gram difference in tracking force if you like the sound of the Goldring.

I do own a Shure V15VxMR. Liked it better than my Audio Technica 440ML when I first got it because it had more bass. Soon realized that just like the 440ML it was pretty thin in the mids. Actually like the M97xE better. I'm betting that the $300.00 Goldring is probably the best sounding out of the three.

I had to overclock my computer just a little when I finally got a motherboard that was capable of it. Anytime something went wrong I was afraid the overclocking was to blame, so I ended up putting it back the way it was.

it's about the music
    uhm ok so i'll stick to the goldring. I do like the sound but it gets SERIOUSLY degraded by my crappy system and my UBERCRAPPY phono preamp. getting all the knowledge i can before i start buying quality components. The only reason i have such a "high"-end cartridge is because of the freaky dreams...
    about the overclocking, here are the "danger facts"
    EXCEPT FOR THE PENTIUM FOUR NORTHWOOD CORES:
    As long as your idle temperatures dont exceed the 45-50º range, you are safe
    as long as your under heavy loads dont exceed the 70º, you are safe.
    As long as u can stress test it for about 4 hours and it doesnt crash, you are safe
    As long as you can touch the ram chips without burning your fingers, you are safe
    HOWEVER if you do own a northwood, pumping the voltage beyond 1.7 volts will make the processor DIE even if its running at 20º... shame i found this out JUST AFTER i burnt it...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Does anyone think it could also be a system matching issue. A cartridge on one tble may be better than on another. My dealer epecially likes the Shure M97Xe because it's a good budget cart which I don't detect as sounding wanting. Doesn't mean you can;t do better --- the Goldring that came with my NAD was atrocious and I got the m97Xe for a vast improvement.

Goldring makes the Audio Note lower end cartridges though and on their turntables the sound was fantastic --- but they are expensive cartridges --- this is in my upgade sight http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=399

Don't get me wrong. I agree 100%. Like I keep saying on this site, I love the M97xE. Have no urge to upgrade at all. I tried a few other cartridges in and a little over the price-range and the M97xE is the only one that sounds accurate to me. And the way it tracks is a huge plus and almost unbelievable for the money. The only thing I would hope for is a little more"air" without losing the rich mids. That costs a little more $ and you'd probably have to try a few $1000.00 cartridges to find the one that was right for you. I'm just going to stick with the Shure!!! From the reviews I've read, it does seem that the cheaper Goldrings aren't worth the trouble. People seem really happy with the better models though. At the price you can get a M97xE for, I guess why not try one if you're curious. I checked out the message boards on the Shure web site and the Shure reps actually recommend the M97xE as an upgrade from all of the older V15 models, which says alot about this cartridge that you can pick up for around $75.00. I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against the Goldring. I just didn't want to push Kaboom towards buying a new cartridge for a .5 gram difference in tracking force if he was satisfied with how the Goldring sounded.
    Last edited by royphil345; 02-20-2005 at 03:49 PM.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well when I upgrade to the TT1(as it seems now unless the Linn blows me out the door) I may keep the Shure M97Xe cart and try it out on the TT1 as a cost saving solution because those AN carts are over $200.00Cdn.

My dealer will have the TT1 and Arm 1 for about $1100.00Cdn (They are buying a bulk turntable shipment and getting them for quite a discount) and then hopefully my NAD will fetch $200.00Cdn as a trade in. I agree the Shure tracks very well which the Goldring didn't do so I kept getting horrendous distortions and inner groove problems.

I think it sounds quite open in the treble...like you there I hear nothing bad about the M97xe --- and that's a great starting point for any audio componant specially one under $100.00. Hey it looks sexy too.

It is cool looking.... And one thing I keep forgetting is that in order to try and fix the thin sound I was getting from the other cartridges I tried, I ended up with the Rotel phono stage which is very much on the warm side. Probably could have gotten a little more open sound using one of the phono stages I sold on eBay before finding the M97xE. Like I said though, I'm enjoying it so much I don't feel the need to change anything.

Thread Information