Forum Regular

Cheap A/V Receivers

Okay, I know supposedly "you get what you pay for". But I plan on making home theater a hobby on a budget basis. I'll probably finally upgrade my audio system with the new tv. I'm not gonna spend alot on a high-end receiver that I'll probably replace in a couple of years anyway. Since my HT is mostly used for movie watching, and I think my Pioneer vsx411 sounds okay with my Sony ssmb-mf speakers, will you guys kick me outta here if I go with the Pioneer vsx-912 6.1? CNET gave a great rating and said it was comparable to Yamaha. User reviews have been positive for sound & connectivity. I can get it for $220. Also, does Pioneer's high THD matter?

Take a look into Onkyo's TXSR502. It is a descent little machine for the price but you will probably be spending a little more than the $220 for the Pioneer (but it will money well spent). Or have a look at Harman/Kardon's AVR135 - but that will probably be even more than the 502 (again, money well spent).

Forum Regular
    Circuit City has an open-box sr502. Probably can talk 'em lower than the $269 tag on it. I know it's 6.1, but I'll probably use 7 speakers. Do you know if it has the split capability? How about the Yamaha rxv450?

a hell of an engineer
    I agree with the Onkyo receiver recommendation. Check out the prices on the Onkyo TX-SR502 at J&R which is an authorized Onkyo internet dealer. They want $149.88 plus shipping for a refurbished unit and $229.99 with free shipping for a new one.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Onkyo's are great "budget" units...and I don't mean budget in a bad way at all.
    Pioneer's "high THD" doesn't really matter as long as it's below 1%. You could be really discriminating and linit your selection to something below 0.5% THD. Most studies to date prove human ears can't pick up on THD of 2% or less, 1% is really low, and 0.09 is incredibly insignificant. So how important is THD really? A few years back that spec started getting used all over the place and got out of hand.
    If you see something like 90 watts, 1 kHz, 10% THD though...run....fast....

Forum Regular
    Thanks!

Wink They beat me to it....

Use that bottom level Onkyo for sound in my Puter room. Can't beat it for the money.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Another vote for the TX-SR502. I got mine for $155 refurb/shipped with one year warranty and am quite happy with it....Jack

Depending on what "chep" is, i vote for the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R. Can be found for a low 500 sometimes. Better than my old 3K 989 Makes me wonder about the Japaneese electronics
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thread Information