Forum Regular

Projection TV Choices

I am terrible about second-guessing myself. I just put money down on a Sony 51ws520. Got it for $1485 + tax w / free 2 year warranty from Rex. Before I go any further, online ordering is not an option (bad credit!), so I did the layaway thing. The sales guy said I could also get the Toshiba 51h84 (read mixed reviews about reliability) or the Hitachi 51f500 (can't find enough reviews on this model) for $1499. Should I stick with the Sony? I've seen mostly positive reviews for it online. Please let me know if anyone has had these models for a fair amount of time. Do the RCA & Magnavox models really suck, or is it prejudice against "low end"? The RCA 52 inch seems to be the most feature-packed, and I can get it for $1100. That would allow me to also get a Pioneer vsx912 6.1 receiver ($220) and a couple more Sony ssmb150h surrounds. (I know the receiver and speakers are also "low end", but I'm on a budget and they sound fine to me!) I know most projections are a crapshoot anyway, so any info would be awesome.
    Last edited by Defshep; 02-16-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Forum Regular
    I got a Mitsubishi 48" HDTV for about $1600 inlcuding shipping & delivery over 6 months ago and it is the best TV I've ever had. Will send you the model number if you wish. It looks cosmetically great and the picture is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    I am terrible about second-guessing myself. I just put money down on a Sony 51ws520. Got it for $1485 + tax w / free 2 year warranty from Rex. Before I go any further, online ordering is not an option (bad credit!), so did the layaway thing. The sales guy said I could also get the Toshiba 51h84 (read mixed reviews about reliability) or the Hitachi 51f500 (can't find enough reviews on this model) for $1499. Should I stick with the Sony? I've seen mostly positive reviews for it online. Please let me know if anyone has had these models for a fair amount of time. Do the RCA & Magnavox models really suck, or is it prejudice against "low end". The RCA 52 inch seems to be the most feature-packed, and I can get it for $1100. That would allow me to also get a Pioneer vsx912 6.1 receiver ($220) and a couple more Sony ssmb150h surrounds. (I know the receiver and speakers are also "low end", but I'm on a budget and they sound fine to me!) I know most projections are a crapshoot anyway, so any info would be awesome.

Forum Regular
    Saw it at Best Buy for $1499! Maybe it'll go on sale again. Thanks, hershon!

Def

I suggest you seach for posts by Woodman. He's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to TVs. He was in the repair business for about 50 years. I know he's not too keen on Sony TVs though. Although, for what it's worth, I have a Sony.

Forum Regular
    Thanks, mjon99.How's your Sony?

I couldn't be more pleased with it. I've had it now for about a year and a half. I'm not the kind of person that looks for black levels or white noise; I couldn't even tell you what white noise is, although I could probably guess. The HD picture looks extremely crisp and detailed, but the analog picture quality leaves something to be desired. But then again that goes with out saying due to the shear size of the TV. I will say this though.... My wife's friend works for Sony Erikson so we were able to use her discount (33%). If not I'm not sure I would have gone with Sony, not taking anything away from them. I probably would have at least taken a look at Hitachi and Mitsu. Two brands that Woodman recommends if I'm not mistaken. With the 33% though, it was a no brainer. Hope this helps a little.

Here's one of Woodman's discussions. Note what he says in his first post about performance/reliability. That's why I say I've only had the Sony for a year and a half. Although, come to think of it, they're talking about direct view TVs. I'm not sure if the same would go for rear projection.
    Sony CRT Longevity

Buy from someone who doesn't make cars

I am a salesman in an A/V store, and have sold many many Hitachi's and Sony's. They are simply the two best rear projection CRT televisions on the market today. If I were in your shoes, I would put the money down on the Hitachi 51F510. Hitachi doesn't dink around with other products (like cars) and most of their money generated from the sale of TV's goes right back into more research - they have very very little overhead for advetising (only have signed one advertising contract in 2 years - with the NFL). They also have the best auto-convergance system on the market. Compare Hitachi with the Sony side-by-side and see which one is better (Hitachi uses 8 points on the screen to align the guns, Sony uses 4 and takes only about 15 seconds as opposed to Hitachi's 45 or so). Hitachi also controls 63% of the markets guns (Toshiba and Samsung buy the low end Hitachi guns) and has the best up converter chip - the 1080p chip. Do some research and see how much better the Hitachi really is.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mjon99
    I couldn't be more pleased with it. I've had it now for about a year and a half. I'm not the kind of person that looks for black levels or white noise; I couldn't even tell you what white noise is, although I could probably guess. The HD picture looks extremely crisp and detailed, but the analog picture quality leaves something to be desired. But then again that goes with out saying due to the shear size of the TV. I will say this though.... My wife's friend works for Sony Erikson so we were able to use her discount (33%). If not I'm not sure I would have gone with Sony, not taking anything away from them. I probably would have at least taken a look at Hitachi and Mitsu. Two brands that Woodman recommends if I'm not mistaken. With the 33% though, it was a no brainer. Hope this helps a little.

Here's one of Woodman's discussions. Note what he says in his first post about performance/reliability. That's why I say I've only had the Sony for a year and a half. Although, come to think of it, they're talking about direct view TVs. I'm not sure if the same would go for rear projection.
    Sony CRT Longevity
    You're right about woodman. He sure HATES Sony! I was checking out his posts. I picked the Sony 51ws520 because I couldn't find many problems with maintenance anywhere. Panasonic also has glowing reviews. My brother-in-law has had a 53 inch for over 2 years with no problems. Of course, you never know about the consumer friendliness of a company until you have a problem with their product. The Sony just seems like a solid investment. I still have time to change my mind...Doh! Stupid big screen decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by evil__betty
    Hitachi doesn't dink around with other products (like cars) and most of their money generated from the sale of TV's goes right back into more research - they have very very little overhead for advetising (only have signed one advertising contract in 2 years - with the NFL).
    Not dinking around with other products? You mean it's someone else who makes all of those other Hitachi branded products out there?

Y'know, things like hard drives (got a Hitachi hard drive inside the laptop I'm writing this message from), industrial robots, manufacturing machinery, power generating turbines, medical analytical devices, ITS (intelligent transportation systems), cordless drills, power saws, telecommunications hardware, semiconductors, industrial materials, memory, etc. They may not make cars, but they do know how to make dump trucks, cranes, and fork lifts, as well as hybrid drivetrain components, fuel injectors, and a whole bunch of other things that do go inside of cars.

Plus, I see Hitachi ads all the time (y'know, the ones that show the piece of film, and then zoom out to show their plasma display), a lot more often than ads for Mitsubishi or Panasonic's TVs.

Praise their TVs all you want, but don't bring all these ancillary claims that have nothing to do with the quality of their TVs into the discussion, especially if they're not true.

Forum Regular
    I am terrible about second-guessing myself. I just put money down on a Sony 51ws520.

i have the 46ws510.....last years model......don't worry,the set u have chosen is a great tv...i use directv and am very happy with my purchase...not only is the cabinet pleasing to the eye the picture is excellent...........rex...haven't heard of that store, i'm sure they have a 30 day return policy like circuit city...whereas u could trade it for another brand????

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by replay11
    I am terrible about second-guessing myself. I just put money down on a Sony 51ws520.

i have the 46ws510.....last years model......don't worry,the set u have chosen is a great tv...i use directv and am very happy with my purchase...not only is the cabinet pleasing to the eye the picture is excellent...........rex...haven't heard of that store, i'm sure they have a 30 day return policy like circuit city...whereas u could trade it for another brand????

Thanks for the Sony reassurance. Rex is a low overhead retail store, mostly in the Southeast. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Not dinking around with other products? You mean it's someone else who makes all of those other Hitachi branded products out there?

Y'know, things like hard drives (got a Hitachi hard drive inside the laptop I'm writing this message from), industrial robots, manufacturing machinery, power generating turbines, medical analytical devices, ITS (intelligent transportation systems), cordless drills, power saws, telecommunications hardware, semiconductors, industrial materials, memory, etc. They may not make cars, but they do know how to make dump trucks, cranes, and fork lifts, as well as hybrid drivetrain components, fuel injectors, and a whole bunch of other things that do go inside of cars.

Plus, I see Hitachi ads all the time (y'know, the ones that show the piece of film, and then zoom out to show their plasma display), a lot more often than ads for Mitsubishi or Panasonic's TVs.

Praise their TVs all you want, but don't bring all these ancillary claims that have nothing to do with the quality of their TVs into the discussion, especially if they're not true.
    Regarding the ads: Sorry, ignorance on my part. Hitachi Canada (where I live) does not have any ads on the television, radio, or print - just the NFL. I am aware of their industrial section in their company (escelators, turbines, etc), and I apologize for how I posted. I realize when I'm wrong, and I retract my pervious post. I now have some more research to do. But, my money is still on the Hitachi.
    Regards,

Thread Information