James Knight Registered Member

KEF 105 series 1 upgrades

Purchased a pair of KEF 105's series 1 about 3 months ago and I have to say I'm amazed at how fantastic they are! They were fairly cheap here in the U.K (£250) and although not in the best condition all the drivers etc. are perfect and sound wonderful. The next step is upgrading the cross overs/internal wiring and bypassing the daft fuse system on the back of them. Does anyopne know how I would go about this??? To say I wasn't handy with a soldering iron would be an understatement mind...any ideas where or who I would approach about this? If anyone does find any of these monsters I can't praise them enough. I run a recording studio and been a session musician (saxophone) for 12 years and I sound more like me on them than pretty much anything else, including big studio monitors costing tens of thousands of pounds..

Thanks!

James

Forum Regular

KEF UP grades

Quote Originally Posted by jakone
    Purchased a pair of KEF 105's series 1 about 3 months ago and I have to say I'm amazed at how fantastic they are! They were fairly cheap here in the U.K (£250) and although not in the best condition all the drivers etc. are perfect and sound wonderful. The next step is upgrading the cross overs/internal wiring and bypassing the daft fuse system on the back of them. Does anyopne know how I would go about this??? To say I wasn't handy with a soldering iron would be an understatement mind...any ideas where or who I would approach about this? If anyone does find any of these monsters I can't praise them enough. I run a recording studio and been a session musician (saxophone) for 12 years and I sound more like me on them than pretty much anything else, including big studio monitors costing tens of thousands of pounds..

Thanks!

James
    Hi James
    Check KEF speaker reviews I seen a poat up theother wek back on a guy soin g a up grade and did mention parts also the KEf105.2 rewiwes as well.
    I right behind in tryn gto find a used pait
    I don't care whathe cbs loo like can always repainthem .
    My buddyhad a apir of these back in 77 wen t they first came out .
    FromwhatIhave readonthe net on eof the al time greas in refeience monitors . They poeple who own tend to staywiththem
    I can't fin d a apir in my city at all
    ifyou got aeal on yours consider your self lucky.
    Hope yo have areal decent amp forhte they do deserve it .
    You bust them the speaker gods with frown on you for ever !1
    James Toronto

Forum Regular

Cool KEF 105 REfERENCE Speakers

I recently picked up a pair of KEF 105 the original ones with matching serial numbers. Can anyone tell me more about them. do I need to rewire and how do I do so. I have the fuses in the back also are they still available. Also what older Amp/ Reciever and preamp would you reccomend. Thanks

Thread Information