AR Newbie Registered Member

Polk R30 vs. Polk R50 vs. Sony SS-MF650H

I am intersted in purchasing a pair of one of the speakers mentioned in the title and was hoping to get some input on which would be the best value. the Polk R30 , the Polk R50's or the Sony SS-MF650H Pair . I have found the Sony's for $135.00 and the cheapest i found the Polks are at the linked website. My budget is around $100.00-200.00 but would like to keep it as cheap as possible. Any other speakers any of you would recomend in that price range would be helpful.
    Thanks.

Forum Regular
    My friend just picked up the Polk R50s on clearance at Fry's. He was able to get them for $79 each- I think they were marked incorrectly. I checked the link you posted and it brings you to Fry's and they have them for $199 each. I was extremely pleased with the sound. He is just doing 2 channel now without a subwoofer and I was very impressed- more bass than I expected, too. However, I would not pay $199 each for them- they're good speakers, but you can look at a lot of other speakers in the $400 range. I would try and stay away from speakers that aren't made by a speaker company (i.e. Sony, Yamaha, etc.). Stick with Polk, Mirage, Def Tech, B&W, MK, etc- there are plently of companies out there that are great- just go to your local store and start listening. If your budget is $200 for both speakers, look at some smaller bookshelf speakers- you can save some cash and still get a good quality speaker. If you like the sound of the Polk speakers, check out some of their bookshelf speakers.

Good luck!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for your input.

Thread Information