Forum Regular

$800 max. for floorstanding spkrs.

I am very new audio hobbyist. I finally have a good enuf job where i can buy some good stuff. My receiver is yamaha rxv 650. Not the best but it is good. I want to get some floorstanding speakers for at most 800/pair. to use with music and ht. probably about half and half each. There are so many speaker reviews on this site, i havent a clue where to start. I went to Sound Advice this weekend, they showed me some stuff that sounded good. One of them was Sapphire audio st2 speakers, there are no reviews of it on this site. Anyways, if some of you experienced guys could help me out it would be great.

Lightbulb Floorstanding speakers

Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    I am very new audio hobbyist. I finally have a good enuf job where i can buy some good stuff. My receiver is yamaha rxv 650. Not the best but it is good. I want to get some floorstanding speakers for at most 800/pair. to use with music and ht. probably about half and half each. There are so many speaker reviews on this site, i havent a clue where to start. I went to Sound Advice this weekend, they showed me some stuff that sounded good. One of them was Sapphire audio st2 speakers, there are no reviews of it on this site. Anyways, if some of you experienced guys could help me out it would be great.
    You could check their website for review . Its at www.sapphireaudio.com they are located in boston and some of their head boss have many years of experience with other audio firm. The name Sound Advice seem familiar is it in Ottawa Canada? Pat.P

Forum Regular
    I'm new to this myself, however, being a musician I've heard some impressive speakers in recording studios.

Definitve Technology's BP6 and BP8s fit right with in your budget and to my ears sound fantastic for the money. I just got a set myself. More info here:
    http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...r/bipolar.html

I also checked out the 'Image T45" towers by PSB, also very sweet but a little out of my price range and I also perfered the Def. Techs. More info here:

http://psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSeries.html#ImageT45

Dicount prices on these speakers here: https://dmc-electronics.com/Main.asp

One thing I did find when shopping is that small independently owned stores treat you a lot better and have far better listening rooms than the big box stores like Tweeter and Circut City, in fact, after my Circut City experience I wouldn't even by a set of batteries from them.

Good luck,
    Mark

Forum Regular

thanks for the help

Thanks for replying guys. I also looked at the psb speakers, at least their website, tho i have yet to hear them. I will have to try and find theese definitive tech speakers aswell.
    I was also thinking, what about a pair of magnepan mmgs(550/ pair) and then buying a decent sub for 250-300?. Those mmgs have great ratings from this site, but the closest dealre to me is 2 hrs away!! What i dont know yet, is if my receiver can power them, being 4 ohm speakers. any thoughts?

Thread Information