Forum Regular

explain digital cables

I got a Toshiba 1800dvd player from Sear's Liquidation for $33. It had a scratch on top.
    Do I need digital audio cables to hook to my Jolida amp, or will my analog cables be ok?
    For that matter, should I use digital audio cables for a cd player too?
    Now for the video ,could I just use a digital cable, or does it have to be a digital video cable? All these questions refer to RCA cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K Davis
    I got a Toshiba 1800dvd player from Sear's Liquidation for $33. It had a scratch on top.
    Do I need digital audio cables to hook to my Jolida amp, or will my analog cables be ok?
    Now for the video ,could I just use a digital cable, or does it have to be a digital video cable? All these questions refer to RCA cables.
    You're confusing the device with the output.

The truth is it depends on how your going to hook it up. If your using the digital output to a digital input than you need 1 digital cable. The analog outs require the regular old interconnects you have already. The component outputs, if available, are analog outputs so you will need component video cables. All the other video outs are analog also.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K Davis
    First, does your amp support surround sound (5.1 channels) or does it just support stereo sound (2 channels) because digital cables such as the digital coaxial cable or optical cable are used to get the 5.1 surround sound. If your amp is only 2-channel, for instance, than there's no point in getting a digital audio cable.

Next, unless you have some state of the art digital tv that supports DVI or HDMI, all video cables are analog. They range from composite (good; usually yellow) to S-video (odd end shape; better) to Component video cable (best; red, blue, green cables, usually).

Finally, you run the the digital or analog audio cable to your amp/receiver, whatever and then you run the video cable straight to the TV.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for clearing up the mud, guys.

Thread Information