Forum Regular

Apple iPOD vs. Dell DJ

I've been kicking around the idea of a hard-drive based MP3 player for about a year now and have narrowed it down to the 20GB iPOD or the Dell DJ20. I can get the Dell $75 cheaper than the iPOD but am wondering if the sexier iPOD is worth the difference.

I will be using the player at the gym, in the car, at the office, and on the plane. I will need to transfer 600+ CD's to my PC. I will need an FM Transmitter for use in my '04 Impreza. I would like to have a dock for the office to connect to my Tivoli Model One. A good set of earphones that block out noise will be necessary as well.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Dell last night when I shot over to Apple's site and noticed the price difference. The iPOD seems to have more accessories available, including what seems to be the best FM transmitter, the iTRIP, available. The Dell is PC based through and through which makes me think there will be less of a chance for hiccups than with the Apple.

I like the Shure E2C phones for the Dell and they have a decent amount of third party accessories but their online community (www.delldjsite.com) doesn't seem as big as Apple's.

I hear the iTUNES interface, even for Windows, is very good where with the Dell I'd be limited to WMP or MusicMatch Jukebox.

HELP! Looking for anyone's thoughts that was in this same situation. What did you decide on and why?

Thanks,
    Bill

iTunes is great, easy to use and to import cds to your computer (just make sure you change it to mp3)

friends of mine and i all have iPods and swear by them, none of us have ever had any issues with quality.

also, a new product coming from monster (the cable ppl) will allow you to set up your ipod to act as your car's cd changer, basically connecting it directly to the head unit, giving you better quality than the FM transmitters (which in my experience are not so good)

personally i would go with the iPod, they seem to be the industry standard and all the others seem to be playing catchup in terms of quality, functionality and looks

also of note is that itunes works quite well on windows, i've never experienced any issues at all, it works better than media player :P
    Last edited by f0rge; 01-28-2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: forgot something

I've always been an apple person, so I'm a bit biased, but as you have already noticed, there's an absolute crapload of accessories of all conceivable uses and contingencies made for the iPod. And if you're a student or teacher, you can qualify for a 10% discount from Apple. iTunes is great for importing, burning, creating playlists,buying songs, etc. Some people have objected to the fact that the iPod only works iTunes, but I think those people need a new hobby. Other than the cost, I doubt that you will have any regrets going with the iPod.

Forum Regular
    IPod and ITunes great in every category.
    I like the Etymotic ER4-P earplugs with my Pod,block out everything and quality sound.

it's about the music
    ok, looking at the rest of the replies it looks like i'm gonna get seriously flamed, but lets just say i'm here to add a bit of color to the threads.
    I have owned two i-pods. A 10gb second gen and a 40 gig third gen. conclusion? FRAGILE eye candy. both of them died on me.
    yeah, i have to admit they are VERY beautiful machines. If you have the cash, and you dont mind losing it, by all means go for it. I got them at a time where money was not at all a problem, so although slightly pissed off about both of them dying one me, it wasnt a killer. if you DROP them, they are toast. obviously no the first time, but considering they are a PORTABLE audio player, i think they should be able to withstand a bit more of abuse.
    on the other hand, iTunes is BY FAR the best jukebox i have ever used. simple, effective... wonderful.
    conclusion. if you have the cash and dont plan to keep it for a very long time, then go for it. I just wouldnt get a third one now because i'm saving for something bigger.

Forum Regular
    I have the 20G Dell DJ. It works great. I have used my friends ipod. They basically do the same thing. It comes down to preference I believe. I preferred to save a little cash and get the DJ.

One thing the DJ allows you to do that the ipod doesn't (I think) is the ability to create and name playlists on the device. I use this feature way more than I thought I would.

It doesn't keep track of your 25 most recent songs played like the ipod does.

Plus, although the ipod is an industrial design masterpiece, I think I prefer the aluminium case of the DJ, no plastic on the case. The buttons are plastic.
    "and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of punk!"

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    ok, looking at the rest of the replies it looks like i'm gonna get seriously flamed, but lets just say i'm here to add a bit of color to the threads.
    I have owned two i-pods. A 10gb second gen and a 40 gig third gen. conclusion? FRAGILE eye candy. both of them died on me.
    yeah, i have to admit they are VERY beautiful machines. If you have the cash, and you dont mind losing it, by all means go for it. I got them at a time where money was not at all a problem, so although slightly pissed off about both of them dying one me, it wasnt a killer. if you DROP them, they are toast. obviously no the first time, but considering they are a PORTABLE audio player, i think they should be able to withstand a bit more of abuse.
    on the other hand, iTunes is BY FAR the best jukebox i have ever used. simple, effective... wonderful.
    conclusion. if you have the cash and dont plan to keep it for a very long time, then go for it. I just wouldnt get a third one now because i'm saving for something bigger.
    I have the same feelings...Itunes is great..I'm not to impressed by i-pod. I mostly use minidsc(which I love) If I get another portable it'll prob. be one of the I-river hard drive players>>>Way more bang for the buck..and less of the proprietary crap that Apple restricts you with...

Forum Regular
    First, thanks for everyone's responses. I think I'm going with the Dell DJ20. It's nearly $100 cheaper with the deal my wife gets through her work and that'll pay for a nice set of phones (Shure E2C or E3C).

I've begun ripping my 600+ CD's to my 250GB external hard drive using a bit rate of 160kbps in Windows Media Player 10. I've got about 60 done so far and am getting a lot of reading done while I do it.

Now the hunt for the best way to use it/make it work in my '04 Subaru Impreza. An aftermarket headunit is out of the question so a transmitte's my only hope. Then there's the issue of how/where to mount it.

BillB

Forum Regular

Unhappy

I have an iPod and the Shure E2C headphones and couldn't be happier.

Oooops, this thread is almost a year old, haha.

Thread Information