Forum Regular

Sherwood R range

I've been upgrading my Sherwood AV Receivers on a regular basis.

I started with an R-125 RDS, which was a great starter to the world of seperates, gave it to an ex and upgraded to an R-725. The 725 was excellent, real major volume and dynamics. Was using it with a Marantz CD48. Upgraded to a Sherwood R-925, which I didn't like, a couple of problems with it. Gave the 725 to another ex, who loves it, she's got it connected up to a Cambridge Audio CD6 I got her. I upgraded to a Sherwood R-956 RDS. Was using a Cambridge D500 SE, now using a Cambridge Azur 640, connected with a Cambridge Pacific cable and using Gale XL-315 cable to connect to Celestion F-20 floorstanders.

My problem is that the 956 doesn't seem to have the analogue style wall of noise that the 725 had. I'm having to crank the volume way above what I had to on the 725 for the same level.

It's being used purely for audio, I have an Eltax AVR-280 for the dvd.

Any tips about where I'm going wrong would be appreciated.

a hell of an engineer

This may be obvious but I will mention it just in case . . .

When you say that you are using it purely for audio, I assume you have only two speakers connected to the main left and right speaker outputs. Is that correct? If so, make sure that you have set the subwoofer, center, surround and rear speakers to "off" and the main speakers to "large". Check the individual volume levels for the main left and right speakers and make sure that they are at 0dB. Also, turn off all surround effects.

Forum Regular

Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I always try to keep everything off in the sound effects. I am only using one set of main speakers, thought about connecting up my Gale Mini Monitors as rear speakers but have no need. Will go back and recheck all the volume levels. It still sounds very good, just not loud enough compared to the 725, which I think the ex would be quite happy to swap for the 956, but I think I'd rather persevere with this, lol.

Thread Information