Forum Regular

What's wrong with the Bel Canto eVo 2i GEN II intergrated amp?

I am considering to have the Bel Canto eVo 2i GEN II replace my dated but very enjoyable AR SP14/Bryston 3B NRB combo. Now every article on the internet I read is extremely positive about the Bel Canto. This is of course the reason why I am considering to buy the amp.
    I've seen many writers of reviews emphasizing the positive aspects of a hifi component so much it's like they try to sell the component instead of the review. Therefor I usually focus more on the negative aspects in the reviews to get a useful impression of the apparatus. Problem is, I can't really find any...

So what I really like to know is if anyone has experienced any downsides to the Bel Canto eVo 2i (the original or the GEN II) that I should take into consideration?

By the way, my hifi system is and will be a stereo system (no multichannel), driving a pair of Von Schweikert VR1's and a Rel Subwoofer.

Maybe Feanor will respond - I know he's got one. Or you could ask him directly.

In a word, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Berjan
    I am considering to have the Bel Canto eVo 2i GEN II
    ...So what I really like to know is if anyone has experienced any downsides to the Bel Canto eVo 2i (the original or the GEN II) that I should take into consideration?

By the way, my hifi system is and will be a stereo system (no multichannel), driving a pair of Von Schweikert VR1's and a Rel Subwoofer.
    I've owned the eVo2i Gen II for about six months and love it. Transparency and neutrality are the hallmarks of the eVo. Highs are extremely extended and sweet; the bass is very solid. Imaging is pin-point. I don't know the your speakers specifically, but I understand the Von S's have excellent transparancy and imaging so I'd guess the Bel Canto will complement them very well.

But note that the eVo, though sweet, isn't "warm". And it is only as smooth and musical as the source material you feed it.

Other than that, I can only think of a couple of things about the Bel. First, it's a bit pricey for an integrated, though not unreasonable against the competition. Second is that it doesn't have "preamp in" connections, (though it does have preamp outs): this limits it's flexibilty, e.g. for adding an active sub/main cross over such as the Paradigm X-30.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the response, Feanor.

I think the VR1's tend to lean just the tiniest bit towards the warm side of neutral (which I like). The rest of my system is quite neutral and revealing: Nordost, Acoustic Zen, Parasound C/BD 2000, M.F. A3.24 DAC (mayby also a bit "warm").

I really do think the eVo will compliment my system very well to my liking: honest, well controlled from top to bottom and (with adequate recordings) very live-like.

Sounds good

Thanks for the response, Feanor.

I think the VR1's tend to lean just the tiniest bit towards the warm side of neutral (which I like). The rest of my system is quite neutral and revealing: Nordost, Acoustic Zen, Parasound C/BD 2000, M.F. A3.24 DAC (mayby also a bit "warm").

I really do think the eVo will compliment my system very well to my liking: honest, well controlled from top to bottom and (with adequate recordings) very live-like.
    I have no hesitation about recommending the Bel Canto -- go for it.

Another thing I like about the Bel is the user interface and remote control.

A number of people have recommended upgrading the power cord and protecting the unit from vibration. However in my case I really didn't really see a noticeable improvement when I put the unit on Gutwire NotePads and attached a Belden/Wattgate power cord.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Another thing I like about the Bel is the user interface and remote control.

A number of people have recommended upgrading the power cord and protecting the unit from vibration. However in my case I really didn't really see a noticeable improvement when I put the unit on Gutwire NotePads and attached a Belden/Wattgate power cord.
    Right now I have no remote control at all with the AR preamp. A little comfort like being able to adjust the volume from one's listening position really adds to the enjoyment of the musical experience. One learns this lesson only after having bought a remote-control-less preamp!

Perhaps the digital circuitry in the Bel Canto isn't really sensitive to vibrations, but I truly believe it's worth trying a few other powercords with your eVo. I have bought the Van den Hul Mainstream PC for my Bryston amp. It was one of the greatest improvements in the sound my system! And by far the most cost-efficient when I compare the cost to amount of musical improvement (in stead of the amount of material I get for it).

Thought I'd chime in. I have VR1's and have driven them with my PS Audio HCA2, a switching amp like the eVo, and had terrific results. FWIW, many people have found the HCA2 to be sensitive to power cords, including the designer Paul Mcgowan, although he readily admits he doesn't fully understand why it is so. Mine came packaged with an upgraded PSA XstreamPlus cord which is an absolute beast to use. Flexible it's not. I inserted a hideously priced Cardas Ref. Gold cord and heard no difference, although it was admittedly far, far easier to use. Personally, I think there is definitely a limit to the improvements a cord can make, regardless of price.

Back to your system...
    I've listened to and enjoyed the eVo quite a few times and the sonic signature is very close to the PSA. The synergy between the HCA2 and the VR1's is excellent as the amp plays to the strengths of the speaker. As you know, the VSA's are extremely dynamic and exhibit exceptional speed and cohesiveness. These are also the hallmarks of the eVo/PSA amps as they provide startling depth not only in the bass but also background noise. From these black backgrounds come lightening fast transient responses that few speakers can take advantage of. The VR1 is one of them. I think you'd find the combination to your liking and certainly worth an audition.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Thought I'd chime in. I have VR1's and have driven them with my PS Audio HCA2, a switching amp like the eVo....

.... that few speakers can take advantage of. The VR1 is one of them. I think you'd find the combination to your liking and certainly worth an audition.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the feedback, Topspeed. Makes me even more convinced I am making a good choice. It is very helpful to hear the opinions of you guys. You see, it so happens that there are no Bel Canto dealers in the Netherlands, so it'll be very difficult for me to actually audition an eVo.
    Mayby I'll try to convince the sole importer of Bel Canto here to lend me the amp for auditioning. But even if I don't get a chance to listen to it, I think I'll still go for it.

BTW, it's true what you say about the VR1's, they really are little wonders, are they not? (can't wait till I've got enough money to buy the VR4-JR's!)

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I also use a pulse with modulation amp

Thanks for the feedback, Topspeed. Makes me even more convinced I am making a good choice. It is very helpful to hear the opinions of you guys. You see, it so happens that there are no Bel Canto dealers in the Netherlands, so it'll be very difficult for me to actually audition an eVo.
    Mayby I'll try to convince the sole importer of Bel Canto here to lend me the amp for auditioning. But even if I don't get a chance to listen to it, I think I'll still go for it.

BTW, it's true what you say about the VR1's, they really are little wonders, are they not? (can't wait till I've got enough money to buy the VR4-JR's!)
    And it's bested some pretty good amps in my system. I use Magnepan 3.6's and they are pretty good with picking up subtleties between amps. These newer "digital tech" amps are going to be the wave of the future. Bel Canto & PS Audio are on the leading edge of this wave, you won't go wrong with either.

Thread Information