Forum Regular

Question B&W DM602.5 S3 or KEF Q5, or other speaker?

Hi all,

My listening room is about total 40 square feet (8 (L) X 5 (W) feet, but my room is all open, it is mean that no wall behind the AV cabinet, behind the AV cabinet is the main bed room, it is about a bed size width and high (I haven’t cal. Include this behind size of room since it is behind the AV cabinet, you can go to http://test.wusogorphoto.net/AVRoom.jpg to see my home’s plane figure of the AV room is how), and my Home Theatre system are now using KEF KHT 2005 suite speaker + Denon AVR-3801. And I am using this sytem for both music and movie over 3 year.

Now I want to replace the front main speaker from the small egg satellite KEF speaker to the new floorstander one to feeling better bass and midrange and clear/sweet treble for both music and movie for using about 5 to 10 year.

My main class for the music always listening is "New Age", "Smooth Jazz", "Jazz Female Vocal" and "Chinese's Female Vocal" CD. And my movie is general action movie, so the bass for the movie effect is important. My old KEF KHT 2005 just give me a up to grade feeling of the bass and midrange of the movie and music, my music and movie ratio is 50:50

Do anyone can give me some suggest for my need? Brand other than KEF and B&W also welcome, but it much better control between/understand HKD 5000 dollar (About USD 645 dollar)

And, the other question is, if I replaced the main speaker to the new, other brand than KEF’s UNI-Q Series like Q5, Q7 etc, the voice-matched will be not good for playback DD and DTS movie? Better choose a speaker with same Brand, same series is good idea?

P.S If you don’t know the HKD and USD ratio how to cal. You can go to http://finance.yahoo.com/currency?u to convert the value

Thank for your time.

a hell of an engineer
    It is best if the main left and right speakers and the center channel speaker use the same drivers (woofers, midranges and tweeters) or at least the same tweeters. For home theater and stereo music, it is not as important that the surround speakers match. If you will be playing a lot of 5.1 channel audio disks (SACD, DVD-Audio), then it would be best to match the surround speakers to the front ones also.

Since you live in Hong Kong, one obvious choice would be Swans Speakers which are made in China by Hi-Vi Research. Swans are first rate speakers with beautiful cabinets. I would expect that prices for these speakers in Hong Kong would be very good. Also, since Hi-Vi Research is the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for many speaker brands around the world, you may want to look for Hi-Vi factory seconds on well known brands.
    Last edited by bargainseeker; 01-14-2005 at 11:47 AM.

Thread Information