Forum Regular

Help Windows XP SP2 Advice Can I avoid SP2?

I'm hoping that anyone here who has Windows XP can advise me whether to download Service Pack 2, I'm currently on Service Pack 1. The reason I haven't downloaded SP 2 is because I'm afraid that it might mess up one of my programs such as Nero Software & DVD Shrink. For security, I've been using the Security Program that XP came with and haven't had any problems with this & usually test my security on the Shields Up Web Site once a week https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 once a week besides running my usually every other day virus & spyware checks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Utmostjamin1
    First off are you on dialup internet or broadband, if your on dialup id recommend sending away for the disc instead of downloading it. im not sure about conflicts with DVD shrink but it does cause some problems with Nero burn. once you instaled SP2 you can go to Nero burns website and download a fix for it.
    i do think SP2 is worth downloading as it does plug up a ton of bugs and it does have a lot of updated drivers. SP2 basically installs a whole new version of windows and archives your files.What I did for both my computers was before installing Sp2 i backed up all the files i wanted to save onto a CDrom then i reformatted the hard drive and wiped it clean.
    after i reinstalled XP pro, i went to windows updates and downloaded all available updates including SP2 before installing any software. IHMO its a cleaner install doing it that way. I was also able to get rid of a lot of shovelware preloaded on the computer. if your recovery discs have all the software and windows Xp intergrated you might not be able to do it.
    I highly recommend upgrading windows as much as possible. just be aware you will have to update your Nero burn.

Forum Regular

Broadband Sorry I should have said

I'm on broadband. Psychologically I somehow think everyone is which is why I didn't state that.

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    First off are you on dialup internet or broadband, if your on dialup id recommend sending away for the disc instead of downloading it. im not sure about conflicts with DVD shrink but it does cause some problems with Nero burn. once you instaled SP2 you can go to Nero burns website and download a fix for it.
    i do think SP2 is worth downloading as it does plug up a ton of bugs and it does have a lot of updated drivers. SP2 basically installs a whole new version of windows and archives your files.What I did for both my computers was before installing Sp2 i backed up all the files i wanted to save onto a CDrom then i reformatted the hard drive and wiped it clean.
    after i reinstalled XP pro, i went to windows updates and downloaded all available updates including SP2 before installing any software. IHMO its a cleaner install doing it that way. I was also able to get rid of a lot of shovelware preloaded on the computer. if your recovery discs have all the software and windows Xp intergrated you might not be able to do it.
    I highly recommend upgrading windows as much as possible. just be aware you will have to update your Nero burn.
    Last edited by hershon; 01-13-2005 at 01:01 AM.

I've seen no conflicts with any programs on any machines that I've put XP2 on. If there was a problem with compatability somewhere, we would have heard about it by now. Go for SP2.

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    I'm hoping that anyone here who has Windows XP can advise me whether to download Service Pack 2, I'm currently on Service Pack 1. The reason I haven't downloaded SP 2 is because I'm afraid that it might mess up one of my programs such as Nero Software & DVD Shrink. For security, I've been using the Security Program that XP came with and haven't had any problems with this & usually test my security on the Shields Up Web Site once a week https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 once a week besides running my usually every other day virus & spyware checks.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Get SP2 but I had some problems with games like Rogue Squadron, Sports Car GT, etc. patches were available at the web sites. My Nero worked fine after SP2, but I may have downloaded it after SP2 was installed.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

I installed SP2 as soon as it was released and have had no problems with any programs, including DVD Shrink and Nero 5.5 (but I only use Nero for CD-R/wav. I use DVD Decrypter for DVD-R).

I update Pest Patrol and AVG Anti-Virus once a week so perhaps that's why I haven't had any problems???
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Forum Regular

Conflicts with Nero Software

I've read about conflicts with Nero software caused by SP2. If I download this & have a conflict with Nero Software (6.0) what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I installed SP2 as soon as it was released and have had no problems with any programs, including DVD Shrink and Nero 5.5 (but I only use Nero for CD-R/wav. I use DVD Decrypter for DVD-R).

I update Pest Patrol and AVG Anti-Virus once a week so perhaps that's why I haven't had any problems???

Nobody else seems to have problems, so I don't think you will.

Red face I've put off downloading it....

I've avoided putting in SP2 myself. It's just caution on my part. Anytime Microshaft puts out a big update I wait for the inevitable conflicts, bugs and screw ups. Sure enough SP2 was no exception. There were a plethora of problems, particularly for online gamers. Soooo I've avoided it. I'll download it eventually but only when I"M ready not cause Billy... and my persistent computer, keep telling me I should.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

I agree with Worfster...

To risk sounding like a cliche: my feeling is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

After a run-in with MSblaster, I've gotten very good about my computer habits. I run the Zone Alarm firewall. I update my AVG anti-virus once a week, as well as Adaware and Bazooka. I do Microsoft's critical updates once a week.

I just can't see where any possible advantages of SP2 are worth the risk to my computer of installing it. If you go to the Dell website, you will see page after page of people having problems with it.

I know I may have to install it someday if Microsoft really does stop supporting SP1 but I'm in no hurry at all.

Forum Regular

Yeah that makes the most sense

I'll probably wait until like you said they stop supporting SP1 as if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymagick
    To risk sounding like a cliche: my feeling is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

After a run-in with MSblaster, I've gotten very good about my computer habits. I run the Zone Alarm firewall. I update my AVG anti-virus once a week, as well as Adaware and Bazooka. I do Microsoft's critical updates once a week.

I just can't see where any possible advantages of SP2 are worth the risk to my computer of installing it. If you go to the Dell website, you will see page after page of people having problems with it.

I know I may have to install it someday if Microsoft really does stop supporting SP1 but I'm in no hurry at all.

I've installed SP2 on close to 200 machines..not a single problem yet! I guess I know what I'm doing

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I've installed SP2 on close to 200 machines..not a single problem yet! I guess I know what I'm doing
    You may have just made my point. "You" know what you're doing. For those of us who aren't as sophisticated as you are when it comes to computers, SP2 has the possibility
    of creating more problems than it solves.

As I said, I think I'll wait until it becomes absolutely necessary...unless you make housecalls.

All the best.

If you can operate a computer now, you can install SP2. Download it, intstall it, reboot it, that's it!

Well N... I know what I'm doin too...

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    If you can operate a computer now, you can install SP2. Download it, intstall it, reboot it, that's it!
    Hell I just built this puter and my son's upgrade with my own two little greasy hands.. and I'm not upgradin' to SP2 until have to... Like when games start requiring it... until then, Billy Boy can just hang fire.

Da Worsfter

Thread Information