Thread: HDTV Vs.Digital

Forum Regular

Question HDTV Vs.Digital

Hi, I have a 53 inch HDTV and have digital cable and am wondering how an actual HD broadcast compares to it,, the picture is pretty good on alot of the digital stations and I think excellent when watching a DVD. Sooo how much better is HD?? I know there is not alot of channels broadcast in HD in my area and the HD box up here is $400 so wanted to ask what ya think before I buy a box..
    Thanks
    Dale M

a hell of an engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale M
    Hi, I have a 53 inch HDTV and have digital cable and am wondering how an actual HD broadcast compares to it,, the picture is pretty good on alot of the digital stations and I think excellent when watching a DVD. Sooo how much better is HD?? I know there is not alot of channels broadcast in HD in my area and the HD box up here is $400 so wanted to ask what ya think before I buy a box..
    Thanks
    Dale M
    There is a truly remarkable difference, at least on our 1024 X 1024 plasma screen. It is like looking out a window instead of watching television. However, you are right about the limited number of programs available in HDTV. Most HDTV channels just keep playing the same programs over and over again. We added HDTV to our Dish Network subscription because they had a very good (cheap) upgrade offer. If I were in your situation. looking at a $400 upgrade cost from my cable company, I would go with VOOM instead. You would get a lot more HDTV programs that way for about the same amount of up front cost. Also, VOOM often offers discounted signup deals that may better this cost.

Talking

I have HD cable from adelphia, and I get CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX , ESPN and PBS in high def. when they broadcast in HD. Most primetime shows and sporting events are in HD. The added Plus is the 5.1 sound. Me being a football fan love it. Its just like being there in the crowd. You hear the T.V annoncer from the center speaker and then you hear the stadium annoncer from the front right and left, the crowd noise from the rear. the best way I can put it is like this. One time I was watching a game and you could hear someone from the crowd yelling real clearly, my wife was in the kitchen and thought someone was in our backyard. As for the picture its great, but not all HD is the same: CBS 1080i NBC 1080i ABC 720p
    FOX 720p ESPN 720p PBS 1080i. Watching primetime shows is like seeing them on DVD, but live showings like sporting events are best or some of the PBS programing it can be jaw dropping.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Hi there,

The picture that you can achieve with HD cable can be quite nice. The upgrade we pay for a dual tuner HD DVR cable box is a $4.00 upgrade a month.

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    "Recorded" shows in HD like CSI, Law and Order, 24, etc., don't look as good as "live" broadcasts like sports, Tonight Show, some PBS programming, etc., but they are still excellent. Images are very sharp, colours are well defined, etc.

Since getting my satellite (I'm in Canada) I would estimate that at least 70% of my TV viewing is HD material. Let's just say that when I pop in a DVD I notice a big drop in picture quality as compared to HD material of any sort . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bargainseeker
    There is a truly remarkable difference, at least on our 1024 X 1024 plasma screen. It is like looking out a window instead of watching television. However, you are right about the limited number of programs available in HDTV. Most HDTV channels just keep playing the same programs over and over again. We added HDTV to our Dish Network subscription because they had a very good (cheap) upgrade offer. If I were in your situation. looking at a $400 upgrade cost from my cable company, I would go with VOOM instead. You would get a lot more HDTV programs that way for about the same amount of up front cost. Also, VOOM often offers discounted signup deals that may better this cost.
    I think the $400 is for a OTA box and not the cable Co, they normally charge about 3-6 bucks a month for the box and remote.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your input guys,, I am in Calgary Alberta Canada, and the satellite service here is limited to starchoice and bell expressview and I think thats it, so Im not sure if going to a Sat would be better or not,, the Cable provider is Shaw and they dont rent the HDTV box, you have to buy it, for $395 or for $495 you get the HD box with the 80 gig hard drive in it,, and since I have the full meal deal (internet and Digital Tv ) my monthy fee will Not go up if I buy the box from them.
    Dale M

Thread Information