Forum Regular

HELP! Frustrating DVD Player/Component Cable Problem!

Here’s the deal.

I have an older 32” JVC regular-old-TV. (It’s the JVC-AV32D201 if anyone cares). For the last few years I’ve been using a JVC DVD player with this TV (DVD player is the JVC-XV540). Been running my three component cables out of the JVC DVD, into my Onkyo 502 receiver, and then from the Onkyo into my JVC TV. No big deal, I also run component cables from my Time Warner cable box into the Onkyo as well. This makes it nice and simple and I only need to run the one set of components into my TV and I can watch either cable or the DVD player.

The problem is that my old JVC DVD player broke. So I got a new one.

I got the new Sony 5-disc changer. The Sony DVP-NC875V. Nice unit, but when I hooked it up (via component cables) to my Onkyo the picture was only in black and white. So I hooked it directly into the TV’s component jacks – same thing. So I used S-Video – worked well (not as clear as component, but decent) but using the S-Video really screwed things up as than I could run keep my TV on the same input (the component input) and switch between DVD and Cable (I know this sounds petty, but I need cable and dvd on the same input so I can run my PS2 into the other additional input that allows either S-Video or composite, and I’m using the composite for the PS2…)

So since my old JVC DVD worked well, I figure that this new Sony DVD Changer isn’t able to output 480i from the component jacks. So I take the new Sony DVP-NC875V upstairs and I hook it up to my new Toshiba 14VL43 14in LCD flat-panel. I hook them up via the component jacks and nothing else. Works like a charm – crystal clear color and no B&W. Take the same box and cable downstairs and try them on the JVC TV and no dice – it’s a B&W pic. But if I switch the onkyo input over to the cable, than it’s fine – full color on my TV (via the component jacks). So I know that the component jacks on my old TV work, the component cables work, the Sony DVD player works on my Toshiba but not on the JVC TV.

So I return the Sony DVD player and borrow my buddy’s Denon 1710 and hook it up. EXACT same response. Won’t work on the old JVC TV (via component jacks) but works like a charm on the new Toshiba 14” LCD flat screen.

Can anyone help me with this?

Why on earth do these DVD Players work PERFECTLY on my new LCD flat-screen via the component jacks, but all of these newer DVD players only display a black and white image on my older JVC TV??? Again, my old JVC DVD player worked PERFECTLY with the A/V Receiver and TV….just not the new ones?

What’s up? I’m really frustrated by this one….

Thanks,

Chris

Forum Regular

You have to straighten out your Fonts to begin with

This is the USA not Transylvania!

Quote Originally Posted by cjtalbot
    Here’s the deal.

I have an older 32” JVC regular-old-TV. (It’s the JVC-AV32D201 if anyone cares). For the last few years I’ve been using a JVC DVD player with this TV (DVD player is the JVC-XV540). Been running my three component cables out of the JVC DVD, into my Onkyo 502 receiver, and then from the Onkyo into my JVC TV. No big deal, I also run component cables from my Time Warner cable box into the Onkyo as well. This makes it nice and simple and I only need to run the one set of components into my TV and I can watch either cable or the DVD player.

The problem is that my old JVC DVD player broke. So I got a new one.

I got the new Sony 5-disc changer. The Sony DVP-NC875V. Nice unit, but when I hooked it up (via component cables) to my Onkyo the picture was only in black and white. So I hooked it directly into the TV’s component jacks – same thing. So I used S-Video – worked well (not as clear as component, but decent) but using the S-Video really screwed things up as than I could run keep my TV on the same input (the component input) and switch between DVD and Cable (I know this sounds petty, but I need cable and dvd on the same input so I can run my PS2 into the other additional input that allows either S-Video or composite, and I’m using the composite for the PS2…)

So since my old JVC DVD worked well, I figure that this new Sony DVD Changer isn’t able to output 480i from the component jacks. So I take the new Sony DVP-NC875V upstairs and I hook it up to my new Toshiba 14VL43 14in LCD flat-panel. I hook them up via the component jacks and nothing else. Works like a charm – crystal clear color and no B&W. Take the same box and cable downstairs and try them on the JVC TV and no dice – it’s a B&W pic. But if I switch the onkyo input over to the cable, than it’s fine – full color on my TV (via the component jacks). So I know that the component jacks on my old TV work, the component cables work, the Sony DVD player works on my Toshiba but not on the JVC TV.

So I return the Sony DVD player and borrow my buddy’s Denon 1710 and hook it up. EXACT same response. Won’t work on the old JVC TV (via component jacks) but works like a charm on the new Toshiba 14” LCD flat screen.

Can anyone help me with this?

Why on earth do these DVD Players work PERFECTLY on my new LCD flat-screen via the component jacks, but all of these newer DVD players only display a black and white image on my older JVC TV??? Again, my old JVC DVD player worked PERFECTLY with the A/V Receiver and TV….just not the new ones?

What’s up? I’m really frustrated by this one….

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Information