AR Newbie Registered Member

Help! Popping noise coming from Speakers

Ok New Pai of Def Tech 7002Tl powered Towers running with a Pioneer 47TX Receiver. Awesome set-up sounds great, but when the speakers get turned on sometimes my left one emits this loud, real loud pop or screach. Is that damaging the speaker. they are practically new but is annoying???

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by okkin
    Ok New Pai of Def Tech 7002Tl powered Towers running with a Pioneer 47TX Receiver. Awesome set-up sounds great, but when the speakers get turned on sometimes my left one emits this loud, real loud pop or screach. Is that damaging the speaker. they are practically new but is annoying???

Your receiver may be sending a DC pulse at turn on. Speakers don't like DC. Get your unit checked.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by risabet
    Your receiver may be sending a DC pulse at turn on. Speakers don't like DC. Get your unit checked.
    I take it DC stand for Direct current? The receiver is still under warranty so I guess I take it back to the store I purchased it at??? 2 year Pioneer Elite warranty. It only does it once in a blue moon

I take it DC stand for Direct current? The receiver is still under warranty so I guess I take it back to the store I purchased it at??? 2 year Pioneer Elite warranty. It only does it once in a blue moon
    If it only does it sometimes it may just be the normal behavior of the switch in your unit. The problem is that if it isn't normal then your speakers are at risk. This is a toughie.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Could it be that my power amp in the speaker is arching and emitting the wave through the speaker? I think it might be in the speaker becasue I don't think the receiver can seperate signals from the switch. Both on or both off I would think?

Forum Regular
    Is this speaker entirely powered by its own internal amplifier? i.e. it requires only a low level signal for operation? Or is the internal power only for the woofer or subwoofer?
    Norm Strong [normanstrong@comcast.net]

Thread Information