Forum Regular

questions to HSU sub users

Ok - I am very much leaning towards a HSU sub. The reviews and suggestions I've received make them sound really impressive but I have a couple questions for people using them.
    1) How do these perform in carpeted rooms? The spikes on the bottom of the sub seem like they would sink in the carpet and the bottom of the sub might be too close to the floor. Is this a real problem???
    2) I am trying to decide between the VTF-2 MK2 and the STF-2. They seem pretty similar except the MK2 has 50 more watts and bypassable crossover..... is it worth the $100 extra dollars?
    Thanks for any and all imput.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spuppy517
    Ok - I am very much leaning towards a HSU sub. The reviews and suggestions I've received make them sound really impressive but I have a couple questions for people using them.
    1) How do these perform in carpeted rooms? The spikes on the bottom of the sub seem like they would sink in the carpet and the bottom of the sub might be too close to the floor. Is this a real problem???
    2) I am trying to decide between the VTF-2 MK2 and the STF-2. They seem pretty similar except the MK2 has 50 more watts and bypassable crossover..... is it worth the $100 extra dollars?
    Thanks for any and all imput.
    These subs, and most subs have no problem with carpeted floors. The carpet would have to be awful thick to affect frequencies this low. I would choose the sub with the bypassable crossover. The crossovers in recievers seem to do a better job IMO. 50 watts more power will not make a big difference between the two subs in terms of ultimate volume, but a flexible crossover system is a great feature.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular

Smile

I agree with Sir Terrence comments,

50 watts more power is not a whole lot. You would have to double the power (i.e the STF-2 at 200watts RMS, the VTF-2 MK2 at 400watts RMS...) in order to get 3dB louder. Don't be concerned with carpet affecting low frequencies. It does, however, affect high frequencies.

If you are concerned with the sub sinking in deep carpet, you can place coins underneath the sub's spikes/feet. In addition to offering a bypassable crossover, the VTF-2 MK2 gives you the flexibility to "tune" the sub for "Max Output" or "Max Extension", max extension = deeper bass with some loss of SPL.

Forum Regular
    I recently purchased a VTF-2 MKII and returned the Velodyne I purchased before that recently. The spikes give the sub plenty of clearence on carpet floors and this sucker rocks the house. I don't even have it turned up half way or both ports open and it's LOUD.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    According to the Hsu Research website, both the STF-2 and VTF-2 Mk2 have defeatable crossovers, continuously variable from 30 to 90Hz. The main differences are variable tuning and stereo (instead of mono) low level input on the VTF model.

Here is more information on the differences between the two models:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/sho...ht=VTF-2+STF-2

Talking I've both the VTF-2 and VTF-3

They have simply been the most trouble free and superior purchase I've made since getting into Home Theatre. Superior components and built quality, although the covering on VTF-3 looks horrible. These subs are simply outstanding. They enhance music and movies with equal aplomp. And NO I don't work for HSU. They've answered ever question I've ever had with speed and alracrity and they email me regularly to find out how I feel about their products.. That's what I call service...

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

wish I could say the same

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    They have simply been the most trouble free and superior purchase I've made since getting into Home Theatre. Superior components and built quality, although the covering on VTF-3 looks horrible. These subs are simply outstanding. They enhance music and movies with equal aplomp. And NO I don't work for HSU. They've answered ever question I've ever had with speed and alracrity and they email me regularly to find out how I feel about their products.. That's what I call service...

Da Worfster
    I have two of the origonal VTF-2's. These were bought over three
    years ago. Originally I had one VTF-2, and it had a problem with
    the auto on/off circuit in the subs amp. Even with this problem,
    I was extremely impressed with the sub. I live within driving distance
    of HSU (in Anahiem) so I drove down, got the auto on/off bypassed,
    and bought a second VTF-2 (auto on/off bypassed on that one also).
    The VTF-3 was still in the design stages at the time, or I would have
    purched that sub.
    About 2 1/2 years later, the power supply went out on one of the subs.
    Back down to HSU to get a new (and improved) power supply for
    the VTF-2. This cost me $150. A few months later, the same thing
    happened to my other other HSU sub. Again I went down and got
    the new and improved amp for another $150.
    I've never had a problem with any audio equipment like this.
    Bottom line is the power supplies in the origonal VTF-2's were
    prone to failure, and HSU has made sure this will never happen
    again. The new VTF-MK2's, VTF-3s etc. are extremely well designed
    and are quality oriented.
    I've never posted my experience with my VTF-2's, because I feel
    they are "extremely" good for the money. Just because I had some
    problems, doesn't mean someone else will.
    I still feel that HSU subs are the best subs that can be had for the money. My VTF-2's will remain in my home theater for many
    years to come...Vardo

Forum Regular
    Good evening everyone,

Most definitely, our amps have become better and more reliable over the years. We are constantly doing extra research and learning new things in order to improve upon tried and true designs.

Thank you all for the great support, and have a happy new year!

Cheers

Forum Regular

thanks!

Hey guys - thanks for all the input. I think I am pretty much sold on getting one of these, now I just have to save a little more to come up with the 500 enchiladas. But, if the reviews I have read on these things even come close to what they say, I have little doubt it will be worth every penny.
    I used to, not necessarily, think exactly that a sub was a sub was a sub, but I guess I believed that no matter what you got, you couldn't go too wrong. But I get the feeling that this thing is going to blow me away. Almost like hearing the difference between stereo and 5.1 for the first time. That's what I am hoping at least.

Thread Information