Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar

Resistance: that big of a deal?

Well, just a small question, since I really always wondered about it but never knew the answer. On the back of my Jolida integrated, I have two taps for the speaker cables, an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm tap. Ever since I had the amp, I ran my speakers at 8 ohm not thinking it was really a big deal. I know that my new Dynaudios are a 4 ohm speaker. My question is, is it really going to make a big difference if I use the 8 ohm tap to run my speakers instead of the 4 ohm? For some reason, I like the sound using the 8 ohm tap over the 4 ohm, so I want to keep it. Thanks .
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Forum Regular
    I had a similar question that TechLore answered. Maybe they could answer yours. http://www.techlore.com

Use what sounds best!

Quote Originally Posted by texlle
    Well, just a small question, since I really always wondered about it but never knew the answer. On the back of my Jolida integrated, I have two taps for the speaker cables, an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm tap. Ever since I had the amp, I ran my speakers at 8 ohm not thinking it was really a big deal. I know that my new Dynaudios are a 4 ohm speaker. My question is, is it really going to make a big difference if I use the 8 ohm tap to run my speakers instead of the 4 ohm? For some reason, I like the sound using the 8 ohm tap over the 4 ohm, so I want to keep it. Thanks .
    The impedance of your speakers is their nominal impedance, they could easily reach an impedance above 8 ohms at some frequencies. If the 8 ohm tap sounds best use that one. The taps simply represent different windings on the transformer to match theamps output to the speaker impedance. You can't hurt either the amp or the speaker by using the "incorrect" output tap.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Thread Information