Forum Regular

What is cheapest way to get MP3 from computer to stereo?

I've been working on this project for a while and have posted some stuff here and gotten some great help.

First I tried to run digital coax from Audigy 2 and ran into problems on digital inputs on my Sony 333ES being full.

Next (and currently) I split the sound off my front speaker output from the Audigy 2 and ran an analog signal to my receiver and simply ran it into an unused input. I immediately ran into hum issues from all the wires I was using. I upgraded the wires to some shielded Monster cable and got rid of about 3/4 of the hum...but there is some still there at higher volumes.

So now I'm looking at getting the digital signal from the computer...through the wall...to the stereo and then changing it to an analog signal which can then be plugged into my stereo. An great (but expensive) example of this is found HERE. But I'm not interested in having this be wireless or having an LED readout at the stereo or a remote associated with it.

I simply want something that will take the signal, run it to my network hub, then to a box at my stereo where the signal will be converted from digital to analog and then output w/ left/right stereo signal which I could then run into the stereo.

You've already tried the cheapest way possible.

Next is to get a better soundcard, but they can still pass hum.

Why are you against wireless? Apple's Airport Express is a good solution, retails for ~$130. Does everything you ask. A decent soundcard will be about the same price, give or take $50. with the Airport you will probably get no hum.

-Eric

Airport Express

Forum Regular
    Well I'm sure it's a nifty gadget...but I don't need wireless. My office (and computer) and my entertainment center are on opposite sides of the same wall. I've already got a hole drilled through the wall and can easily pass a cat5 cable through the wall. I just don't see the need to pay for wireless...unless there is no other option. I'm sure a fair chunk of that $130 is for the wireless capability which I simply don't need.

It's certainly on the right track though.

Forum Regular
    With a $50 dollar laptop (at a yard sale) and a wired network I am able to access any MP3 in my main PC right there from the stereo. You can later on get a bigger HD (I got a 200Gb for $150 at my local Best Buy) and set a video/music server with Music match, or the like.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Audio from pc to home stereo

Hi Guys, first post here. What I did is run an optical line from my sound card to the back of my HK 210, now this is the cool part. It plays anything winamp will, so I can play wav, mp3s, flac, shn & ape. Now that's cool! (imho)

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wekiva
    I've been working on this project for a while and have posted some stuff here and gotten some great help.

First I tried to run digital coax from Audigy 2 and ran into problems on digital inputs on my Sony 333ES being full.

Next (and currently) I split the sound off my front speaker output from the Audigy 2 and ran an analog signal to my receiver and simply ran it into an unused input. I immediately ran into hum issues from all the wires I was using. I upgraded the wires to some shielded Monster cable and got rid of about 3/4 of the hum...but there is some still there at higher volumes.

So now I'm looking at getting the digital signal from the computer...through the wall...to the stereo and then changing it to an analog signal which can then be plugged into my stereo. An great (but expensive) example of this is found HERE. But I'm not interested in having this be wireless or having an LED readout at the stereo or a remote associated with it.

I simply want something that will take the signal, run it to my network hub, then to a box at my stereo where the signal will be converted from digital to analog and then output w/ left/right stereo signal which I could then run into the stereo.

Check out the
    Xitel Pro Hi Fi Link

Wow!!!... That looks like the way to go!!!

The Xitel Pro Hi Fi Link looks awesome and I'm probably going to buy one. Thanks for the link kaltfuzion!!! If you want to do this cheaper, you could try not spliting the output from your Audigy2. That's probably what's causing the hum. Or a defective cable (Audigy2 won't give you the absolute best sound quality, but shouldn't give you problems with noise). Would be a pain switching the plugs to the computer speakers and stereo as needed. Know I've seen switch boxes that would solve the problem, but looks like the money would be better spent towards the Xitel Pro Hi Fi Link. (Solves hook-up problems, betting on better sound, Dolby Digital if you use the digital outs) This thing looks REALLY cool!!!

Now I have a question too!!!

I have the original SoundBlaster Audigy. Also have plenty of digital inputs on my receiver. Could I hook my Audigy straight to my receiver digitally and get similar funcionality as using the Xital Pro? What about with an Audigy2? Could probably find one cheaper than the Xital Pro. Thanks much if anyone knows. Joining the home theater and computer is definitely my next step. Have TV outs on my video card (ATI All-In-Wonder) and a wireless remote that came with it, so I have a pretty good start. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    I have the original SoundBlaster Audigy. Also have plenty of digital inputs on my receiver. Could I hook my Audigy straight to my receiver digitally and get similar funcionality as using the Xital Pro? What about with an Audigy2? Could probably find one cheaper than the Xital Pro. Thanks much if anyone knows. Joining the home theater and computer is definitely my next step. Have TV outs on my video card (ATI All-In-Wonder) and a wireless remote that came with it, so I have a pretty good start. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
    I don't see why not if you have digital outs on your soundcard. If you're looking for something with a remote, check out the Slim Devices Squeezebox

It's more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion, since you can control it via remote in the room with your stereo. Plus it has a text display.

That looks interesting too...

Should already have the remote part covered though. ATI All-In-Wonder came with a RF remote I can use in the other room to control anything on the computer (media players, web browsers etc...) while monitoring on the big screen. (hooked up to the TV out on the computer's video card) Just haven't completely thought out the audio part yet. Bought the Audigy OEM, so I didn't get any instructions with it and I'm not quite sure of what it's capabilities are. I knew I didn't want to try splitting the analog outs from the sound card, or be endlessly plugging and unplugging things, so I just never got around to finishing the project. Guess I'll have to quit being lazy and check out the Creative web site for more info on my sound card and give the instructions for my receiver's digital inputs another good look.. If that won't work, the Xitel Pro Hi Fi Link sure looks like what I need and it's not too expensive.

Thanks!!!

Forum Regular
    i bought a cable from radio shack that went from a small headphone male end to a pair of RCA's and I used that RCAs to stereo and the headphones type end (not sure if thats what it is but its similair in size) goes into one of the outputs on my soundcard. is this a bad way of doing it and can I get better sound another way?

That's about the best you can do.

That's as good as it's going to get without using a digital connection or getting a better sound card. I just need a way to get the sound to my home theater in the other room and to my computer speakers at the same time. Don't want to use a splitter. Using this Xitel device or possibly just a digital cable would add the capability of transferring a true Dolby Digital signal to my home theater receiver as well, which would be cool for playing movies stored on my hard drives. Gamers would probably dig this feature too, although I'm not really into that. Also, I have briefly tried hooking up the analog out on the sound card to my home theater. Wasn't really impressed with the sound (although it wasn't terrible). A digital connection may be better. Strange thing is the Audigy card seems to do a fantastic job of recording. The output doesn't seem quite up to par when hooked up to my big system though.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    It's more expensive, and kind of hard to find, but check out the Audiotron from Turtle Beach. It's basically a piece of home stereo equipment that you connect to your network, allowing you to access audio files on any computer connected to the network. Not necessarily the best solution, but it's cool.

Hope you guys don't mind a slight thread hijacking here, but you inspired me to add a few more external soundcards to our db:

Xitel Hifi-Link

Xitel Pro Hifi-Link

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live 24bit External

If any of you have one of these, please review it! THe Xitel's look cool, i might get the plain ol hifi link for my younger twin bros, who have decent stereos that I gave them but all their music is on their laptops..

Also, here is our whole PC Audio Section, still a little underpopulated. check it out, maybe suggest some additions HERE.

Thanks!
    Eric

Thread Information