Forum Regular

Speakers buzzing...Can I do anything about it?

I have a Naim Nait 3R amp and Linn Keilidh speakers and noticed lately that there is a buzzing sound coming from the speakers when no music is being played.

1) What is the cause?
    2) Can I do anything to stop it?
    3) Can it damage the speakers?

Thanks in advance!

Suspended
    You say "lately", is this something that wasn't there before? If so, I wonder if there might be some new electric device you have introduced to your AC load. You could have a ground loop. If this is the case you can try a "cheater plug", a 3 prong to 2 prong adaptor. This is supposed to help. There is also some devices that will supposedly help eliminate the ground loop. Ground loops are nasty and hard to get rid of. I have had buzzing in my speakers before from a component being subject to interference and to my knowledge it has not caused damage. You may try moving your amp if that's an option. I had a very good Arcam amp that was somehow emitting a buzz into my system. I took it in to get looked at and it was fine and did not buzz at the shop. I hooked it up on the floor and it was fine. When I placed it on the shelf, buzzing again. I upgraded that amp with an after market power cord and it cleaned up most of the buzz but it would have to be moved to totally cure it. You might try some power conditioning products but most of them will NOT help with a ground loop. You have a nice little system, I assume you are using good speaker connectors and cables? Try some of these things as well as tracing the problem down to see which component is letting the buzz in. If it's for sure the amp and moving it don't help you might want to get it looked at by a technician. Also experiment with switching out the cables with a new pair to make sure all are good. A bad cable can cause buzzing. I hope something here helps I know how annoying one of these problems can be.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will definitely try your suggestions.

Thread Information