Thread: SR 60, 80, iPod

Forum Regular

SR 60, 80, iPod

I'm getting an iPod for Christmas and recently broke my old headphones. I did some research and found the Grado SR 60's or the 80's as the best bet for me. My question, however, deals with how well either one would function with an iPod. I have scannned over this forum and many others, and have found conflicting opinions. Some say the 80's are too refined for portable mp3 players while others say they're just right. Some say that the iPod can't even drive the 80's while others say it can with ease. The 80's are supposed to produce better bass than the 60's, which is why I'm considering the 80's over the 60's. Which one would you guys recommend. Also, if the 80 is too refined for portables, would a portable amp make a difference? I've read that it would, but I have not done any research on amps and their importance to headphones, yet. If I needed one, what would you recommend?

One good and bad thing about conflicting opinions

Chances are that the differences are so slight that it all boils down to a personal preference. Odds are that you will be more than pleased with either one.

Forum Regular

the sr80's and iPod are a good match..

No issues with the ipod (a 2nd gen) being able to drive them. My only gripe is with the sr80's design. The same can be said of the 60's. Thick, inflexible cabling that you can never quite forget about and that seems always in the way or catching on something. They're somewhat uncomfortable on the head too. I rarely use them anymore only because of the horrible ergonomics. It's ashame because I don't know of a better sounding headphone for the money than the 80's. If you don't have a problem with the ergonomics, you'll find the iPod and 60's or 80's a good match.

Good experiences here with iPod & SR-60

I set my girlfriend up with this combo. She really likes it, it sounds good. Only issue with the Grados is thy're not real portable. So she looks kinda silly using them at the gym.

-Eric

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the replies. Would an amp bring out more in the 80's with the iPod or a CD player, or would it matter much?

I have used these combos:
    iPod (using the docks line-out) >> total bithead headphone amp >> sennheiser 497 & grado sr60 = fantastic sound at the office

using the line out and a headphone amp really improves the sound of the iPod. It becomes amazingly neutral and musical. Very clear and clean sound. Not to mention that the headphones also come alive with a separate amp. You don't need a headphone amp, the headphone out on the ipod gives very satisfying sound, but I think that it is the weakest part of the iPod. You just have to decide if its worth it to you spend another $200 or so on a headphone amp. Be sure you use the line-out if you use an external amp of any kind.

-Eric

Forum Regular
    I will be traveling with these things if I get them. How do they stack up against the Koss PortaPro and the Senny PX100 or 200 in your guys' opinion?

Forum Regular

No experience with Koss or the Sennheisers..

Personally I think if you're going to go portable, go portable. A good pair of ear buds and an iPod (or Rio Karma, iRiver H series...) is good enough for me. Once you start going with full size head phones, a head phone amp, power supply and accessories, it can get out of control.

Forum Regular
    If the Grado SR 80's are really all they're supposed to be, then I'll get them as long as they still perform well on a 4th Gen. iPod. I just don't want to get them and find out that in order to get any kind of Grado-like performance, an amp would be require. How much difference will an amp make?

The only reason I'm considering the 80's over the 60's is the fact that the bass is supposed to be better. But if the performance is going to come at the cost of an amp, is it really worth the upgrade? Would the 60's run better on an iPod or CD player than an 80 with no amp? I'm mainly listening to Jazz bass, Dave Matthews Band bass, or big band bass no rap. How poor is the bass on the 60's?
    Last edited by LeftofCool; 12-20-2004 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofCool
    If the Grado SR 80's are really all they're supposed to be, then I'll get them as long as they still perform well on a 4th Gen. iPod. I just don't want to get them and find out that in order to get any kind of Grado-like performance, an amp would be require. How much difference will an amp make?

The only reason I'm considering the 80's over the 60's is the fact that the bass is supposed to be better. But if the performance is going to come at the cost of an amp, is it really worth the upgrade? Would the 60's run better on an iPod or CD player than an 80 with no amp? I'm mainly listening to Jazz bass, Dave Matthews Band bass, or big band bass no rap. How poor is the bass on the 60's?
    You're confusing a few things -- just because the SR80 has more bass does not mean that the SR60 LACKS bass. Between the two, the bass is really the only noticeable difference. The 80 does have better extension on the bass, but the SR60 has plenty of bass extension in its own right. The strength of the Prestige series Grados in general is that they perform well with battery operated players. You don't need a headphone amp with these cans. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Since you obviously have doubts about the SR60, just buy the SR80. It's only an extra $25, and you don't have wonder if the next step up is better than what you have.

Forum Regular
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

my SR-80's are driven just as well as my Koss portaPro's by my old Sony Discman. Tons of volume and clarity. Much better than the Senn HD-590's I tried(which had almost no volume).

Grado SR-80 - 32 ohms

Koss portaPro - 72 ohms

Sennheiser HD-590 - 150 ohms

[Senn. HD-580,600,650 - 300 ohms!!!!] <- no volume or authority with a portable.

Also, you will not be disappointed with the SR-80's. They sound AWESOME. They actually remind me of my friends RS-1's! I picked them up on sale at Cambridge Soundworks for $80....what a deal!

Forum Regular
    Cool, thanks, I think I'm gonna order them today or tomorrow.

Thread Information