Forum Regular

Speaker suggestions for under $2000

I am looking to add a HT system in my basement. The room is a midsize one (18x22) and was wondering what speakers you guys would recommend for a system that I would like to keep around 2000k. I have an Infinity Alpha 1200S Sub and an Onkyo 9000 series receiver. Someone recommended Infinity Alpha 50's with their respective center but I was wondering what else I might consider. How expensive are the Paradigms, Definitive Tech, Energy with regards to their sound? I listen to a wide range of music but no rap. Thanks for any suggestions.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by acqui
    I am looking to add a HT system in my basement. The room is a midsize one (18x22) and was wondering what speakers you guys would recommend for a system that I would like to keep around 2000k. I have an Infinity Alpha 1200S Sub and an Onkyo 9000 series receiver. Someone recommended Infinity Alpha 50's with their respective center but I was wondering what else I might consider. How expensive are the Paradigms, Definitive Tech, Energy with regards to their sound? I listen to a wide range of music but no rap. Thanks for any suggestions.

$2,000 is plenty for 5 or 6 speakers. After many years of listening to music on many speakers I can say that Axiom and Paradigm make nice stuff. I'd shy away from certain models from each company of course. It really depends on your listening tastes. Some speaker emphasize certain frequencies to make speaker sound like they have more bass or to sound as if they are right in your face. Matching speakers in a surround sound system is not just a matter of matching brands. I own a paradigm CC-370 center channel which is excellent. I think the closest match to that center is the monitor 1 or 5. I own the 7's and they don't quite match. As far as surrounds go Paradigm makes dipolar surrounds which are ideal for movies. I'd audition the Monitor 5, CC-370 center, and ADP-170 surrounds. That whole system shouldn't cost more than ~1,500 with stands and all. Axiom is good as well. I own the M3ti bookshelves and am happy with them. Axiom is mail order direct only however. I like the way Paradigm explains how their speakers work in this article.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/AllA.../Evaluate.html

The Collector
    If you want to go a little over board for your mains I would suggest a pair of JBL 4430's but you will need to bi-amp them and use a good active crossover like a BSS or DBX DriveRack to really get them to sound good as home theater speakers. It's just my opinion but when set up properly they are some of the best sounding speakers you could get

F1
    My two favourite brands are JM Lab and Dynaudio. With your budget I think you can get JM Lab Cobalt 806 with respective center and JM Lab Chorus 705 for surround. You can find a nearest dealer for audition here:
    http://www.audioplusservices.com/frame.html
    As for Dynaudio, you may get Dynaudio Audience 52 with respective center and Audience 42 for surround. I don't think you will be disappointed with either one of these brands. Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Based upon the specs of the sub I'd venture to say it will be inadaquate for the room and for HT, especially as it goes down to 28Hz. Is it possible for you to take it back as of yet for a refund? If you decide to go that route, I'd recommend:

SVS PB1-Plus - $1,000ish. Product announcement/details should be up sometime later on today.
    Ascend Acoustics System S22-2200 system - $1,008 delivered. Includes 7 CBM-170s.

If you are uninterested in a new sub:

Rocket HT package #4 - $1,700 plus shipping.

Probably among the best for HT though not traditional looking:

http://www.norh.com/info/pricing.html]nOrh marble 4.0 video system[/url] - $1,600 delivered and add another $400 delivered for a pair of ceramic 4.0s for all seven channels.

Something a bit more traditional (or not):
    Odyssey Circe (mains) - $995 pair
    Odyssey Epiphany (surrounds) - $595 pair
    Odyssey Nemesis (center) - $395 each

And you will need to add shipping to that.

Thread Information