Forum Regular

My current DVD Player is 'freezing up'??

Hey all,

I'm looking around for a new DVD player right now, and the main driver for that is becuase my current DVD player (a four year old JVC low-end model) is constantly 'freezing up' about 45 minutes into any given disc.

It's a fairly new problem, having only started happening in the last month or so. I have purchased and used the 3M DVD cleaner disc, but that has not solved my problem.

So although I am going to be purchasing a new player sometime soon, does anyone have any insight into this problem? Besides cleaning the player, I also installed a small fan to constantly keep the player cool (not that it ever really seemed hot...but I wanted to limit the factors involved in the breakdown) and that has not helped either.

Thanks,

Chris

Sounds like

The laser mechanism is screwed..I had one that needed to be replaced.
    Warrantys are a wonderful thing..)

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtalbot
    Hey all,

I'm looking around for a new DVD player right now, and the main driver for that is becuase my current DVD player (a four year old JVC low-end model) is constantly 'freezing up' about 45 minutes into any given disc.

It's a fairly new problem, having only started happening in the last month or so. I have purchased and used the 3M DVD cleaner disc, but that has not solved my problem.

So although I am going to be purchasing a new player sometime soon, does anyone have any insight into this problem? Besides cleaning the player, I also installed a small fan to constantly keep the player cool (not that it ever really seemed hot...but I wanted to limit the factors involved in the breakdown) and that has not helped either.

Thanks,

Chris

This is a common problem with older JVC DVD players. I have the same problem with mine. I'm not sure which model you have (i have the XV-701), but JVC posted a workaround on their website involving holding several buttons for several seconds and reinitializing the unit. Despite this, it still occassionally happens, i turn it off, come back an hour later and it's fine. Their QA people must have been asleep when testing these.

Thread Information