Kam

The In-Laws vs. The In-Laws

Not even a close comparison here. For those of you who haven't seen the original, put this one up on your list. Could even include this on my Obscure Top 5, if i haven't already.

The Original (1979) - with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin (remake with Michael Douglas in the Falk role and Albert Brooks in the Arkin role). Very funny, entertaining movie about an undercover rogue agent (Falk) who, in the course of having his son marry a dentists (Arkin) daughter, involves his future in-law in the intrigue and espionage. All the characters, even down to the smaller roles like the son are fleshed out. For example in a great scene where the in-laws all meet for dinner Falk blows up on his son when he makes a small comment about "Dad and his mysterious phone calls." the falk/arkin relationship is hysterical and the chemistry is great because they both take their roles and the situations they are in (as ludicrous as anything the remake can try) very seriously. (watch arkin when the dictator draws a puppet on his hand.) The whole movie is very entertaining and just good fun.

The Remake (2003) - to be fair, I can't make a complete comparison because i couldn't get through the whole movie. this was, quite literally for me, unwatchable. there was no chemistry between the two leads i thought, and brooks was wholly unbelievable being pulled into douglas's world of espionage. douglass was wholly unbelievable in his world of espionage for that matter. just the lack of subteltly to the story itself, bludgeoning the audience over the head with scenes rather than let them unfold gracefully in the original, was very... well, unwatchable.

no comparison here, imo, the original is the only way to go, avoid the remake at all costs.

peace
    k2

p.s. seriously depressed with my 'canes loss today.

Unhappy Sorry bout dem canes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Not even a close comparison here. For those of you who haven't seen the original, put this one up on your list. Could even include this on my Obscure Top 5, if i haven't already.

The Original (1979) - with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin (remake with Michael Douglas in the Falk role and Albert Brooks in the Arkin role). Very funny, entertaining movie about an undercover rogue agent (Falk) who, in the course of having his son marry a dentists (Arkin) daughter, involves his future in-law in the intrigue and espionage. All the characters, even down to the smaller roles like the son are fleshed out. For example in a great scene where the in-laws all meet for dinner Falk blows up on his son when he makes a small comment about "Dad and his mysterious phone calls." the falk/arkin relationship is hysterical and the chemistry is great because they both take their roles and the situations they are in (as ludicrous as anything the remake can try) very seriously. (watch arkin when the dictator draws a puppet on his hand.) The whole movie is very entertaining and just good fun.

The Remake (2003) - to be fair, I can't make a complete comparison because i couldn't get through the whole movie. this was, quite literally for me, unwatchable. there was no chemistry between the two leads i thought, and brooks was wholly unbelievable being pulled into douglas's world of espionage. douglass was wholly unbelievable in his world of espionage for that matter. just the lack of subteltly to the story itself, bludgeoning the audience over the head with scenes rather than let them unfold gracefully in the original, was very... well, unwatchable.

no comparison here, imo, the original is the only way to go, avoid the remake at all costs.

peace
    k2

p.s. seriously depressed with my 'canes loss today.
    First three loss season for dem since who the Carter admin, wow tough year. I agree 100% on this one as well. I can't hear the word "serpentine" without cracking up. Amazingly funny film.

Da Worfster

Thread Information