Powerslave Registered Member pookie69's Avatar

Sennheiser ***OPEN*** Back Headphones

Hey there guys.

I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm looking to get a set of Sennheiser HD595's to replace my totally crapped out ancient cans. I plan to hook them up to my PC (audigy 2 soundcard) to use mainly at night so as not to disturb family members (my mum!) at night.

I basically use my PC for listening to music (LOUD) and gaming (whilst listening to music LOUD )

>>> but this open back design concerns me... more specifically the whole issue of leaked sound

As i gather, open back design headphones allow for a 'better sounding' sound, but also as a result of being open, leak sound.

>>> if i use the HD595's to blast my music late at night, will the leaked sound be loud enough to disturb my parents in the next room?

Perhaps anyone who owns a set of HD595's could let me know how loud the leaked sound is.

Thanks in advance for your help people - appreciated!
    Last edited by pookie69; 12-01-2004 at 08:51 AM.
    <a href="http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/pookie69/">What I'm Listening To!</a>

Red face Hey, you should be fine...

I've the "open backed" 580's and while you'll hear a little noise from them, unless you're listening at ear splitting levels you'll not disturb anyone else. I use my headphones in exactly the same was as you particularly at night when the better half and kids are asleep. I don't wake them up during "Far Cry" or "Call of Duty" so why should you?

Hope this answers your question.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I've the "open backed" 580's and while you'll hear a little noise from them, unless you're listening at ear splitting levels you'll not disturb anyone else. I use my headphones in exactly the same was as you particularly at night when the better half and kids are asleep. I don't wake them up during "Far Cry" or "Call of Duty" so why should you?

Hope this answers your question.

Da Worfster
    Cool - thanks for the reply mate - appreciated!

CoD rules BTW - hee hee.
    Last edited by pookie69; 12-01-2004 at 08:51 AM.
    <a href="http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/pookie69/">What I'm Listening To!</a>

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    If at least your door is closed, you should be fine. They aren't that loud, even at high volumes. My HD 477's were always night-safe .
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

My mother has some HD-590's, my dad told me that when she listens to them at high volumes you can hear them downstairs. I was blown away when I was visiting them for the holidays, when I found out he wasn't exaggerating. You could hear her music(only the highs) downstairs, from an upstairs bedroom with the door open. It may have been their home's acoustics, but she must be killing her ears I tell you what.

Quote Originally Posted by vr6ofpain
    My mother has some HD-590's, my dad told me that when she listens to them at high volumes you can hear them downstairs. I was blown away when I was visiting them for the holidays, when I found out he wasn't exaggerating. You could hear her music(only the highs) downstairs, from an upstairs bedroom with the door open. It may have been their home's acoustics, but she must be killing her ears I tell you what.
    Hmmm... this kinda contradicts what other people have been saying. But i suppose it probably varies from model to model and the type of sound/music.

Anyone have any personal experience with the HD595's?

This requires further investigation me thinks.

Thanks for all the replies in any case people >>> apprecaited!

Talking No problem...

Quote Originally Posted by pookie69
    Cool - thanks for the reply mate - appreciated!

CoD rules BTW - hee hee.
    Anything for our Tea Drinkin' cousins from across the pond. And COD is a great game, I like the expansion pack a lot but that last battle in the train yard has me pullin my hair out by the root sometimes...

Da Worfster

Suspended
    I have a pair of HD-600's & 580's. They definitely leak sound out into the room but I could not imagine them disturbing someone in the next room with the doors closed. If they did I wouldn't want them on my ears at that volume. If someone heard them in a basement from upstairs the rest of the house must have been very quiet. In my house you can hear noise from down to up or vice versa through the air vents. I can be downstairs listening the music and between songs I can hear voices or noise from upstairs if the people are in a certain room. This might also explain how the headphones could be heard.

To be safe why not order the headphones from someone like www.amusicdirect.com where you have a 30 day return policy. If they did some how disturb your parents return them, if not, you are rockin' with one of the best sounding headphones you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I have a pair of HD-600's & 580's. They definitely leak sound out into the room but I could not imagine them disturbing someone in the next room with the doors closed. If they did I wouldn't want them on my ears at that volume. If someone heard them in a basement from upstairs the rest of the house must have been very quiet. In my house you can hear noise from down to up or vice versa through the air vents. I can be downstairs listening the music and between songs I can hear voices or noise from upstairs if the people are in a certain room. This might also explain how the headphones could be heard.

To be safe why not order the headphones from someone like www.amusicdirect.com where you have a 30 day return policy. If they did some how disturb your parents return them, if not, you are rockin' with one of the best sounding headphones you can get.
    Yea, i guess that makes sense.

>>> good advice.

Cheers mate.

Forum Regular
    Not to be a nag or anything but you may want to invest in a cheap sound meter and measure just how loud you are really listening before you do irreversible damage to your hearing. Loud listening and tinnitus go hand in hand.

Thread Information