Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 2

This won't excite many but I'd like to mention that the second movement of this piece reminded me of something that I'd heard before but I just couldn't place it.....until now.

Eric Carmen - All By Myself.

Man, did this bug me for awhile. No wonder why I liked this movement so well.

Compare the two and you will be amazed. Eric ripped off Rachmaninov. It's as plain as day.

Just proves that modern day musicians used classical works as an influence. Some more obvious than others.

Darren
    Last edited by DarrenH; 11-27-2004 at 12:14 AM.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    This won't excite many but I'd like to mention that the second movement of this piece reminded me of something that I'd heard before but I just couldn't place it.....until now.

Eric Carmen - All By Myself.

Man, did this bug me for awhile. No wonder why I liked this movement so well.

Compare the two and you will be amazed. Eric ripped off Rachmaninov. It's as plain as day.

Just proves that modern day musicians used classical works as an influence. Some more obvious than others.

Darren
    Does "Full Moon and Empty Arms" mean anything to you? That tune is from Rach's Second Concerto, too.

Composers do this all the time, and the use tunes in the public domain if they're smart.

Rach himself did it. He used the "Dies Irae" chant tune in the Isle of the Dead and wrote another work for piano and orchestra called Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini..

This isn't something I personally keep track of, but Brahms' Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn is another that comes to mind.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information