Forum Regular

Hey site admin - Alexa is spyware..

Why would you recommend a browser 'helper' such as Alexa? It's classified as spyware/adware by every major anti spyware/adware program. It collects personal data from the user and transmits it to Alexa's central database for use in targeted marketing. Worse, if the user is foolish enough to use his or her primary email address, the result will be more spam. And as a 'browser helper' it will likely slow down IE and get past any firewall since it's seen as part of IE by firewalls. Shame on you.

Forum Regular
    I thought that myself.

Obviously, we don't really see it as spyware. It does track websites that you visit, because they are trying to create a free internet auditing system to measure website traffic - something us web admins are really excited about. check out this link to see what I am talking about:

AudioREVIEW Site Stats

This is fast becoming a standard for tracking website performance. And users who use this toolbar act as a "Nielsen Box" - their surfing habits are used to gauge website performance. By advocating you to use it, that would naturally increase our rankings on their system.

Obviously, You don't have to use Alexa. It doesn't install itself secretly or maliciously. It is easily uninstalled, or not installed at all.

Heck, I use Firefox, which is a FAR superior web browser, and doesn't support alexa. Its your choice. I do have alexa installed on IE though, because i must use it for certain websites, workplace tools, webpage testing, etc.

-Eric

Thread Information