AR Newbie Registered Member

help with my new speakers hks 2 and hkc center

Hi I'm new here ..Just won 2 speaker sets off ebay last week and can't seem to find a cheap compatible receiver .any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted..
    First I'm a very electronic illiterate female who thought I bought all I need ..and well our speakers arrived today and ..I have no clue how to hook them up..Do I need a receiver ?I didn't buy 1 and now after looking at their prices hope I can operate these speakers without one..but suggestions please..I got 2 hks 2 2 way speakers and 1 center channel both 100 watts..If it esier to answer me by email email will be fine thanks again..Cherie
    Also the hks 2 came with wires the hkc center speaker did not is that a mistake.?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hi, and welcome...

Just curious...perhaps you could explain to us what your original plan was when you bought these speakers? Like, what were you going to plug them into etc...?
    And I wouldn't get down on yourself for being an "electronically illiterate" female...we all started somewhere...and there's a ton of "electronically literate" males that are very, very gullible...that IMO, is far worse.

Don't panic, worse case scenario, you can find pretty sweet deals on receivers on ebay, and elswehere too.

JSE
    What do you want to do with these speakers and your audio system? Home Audio basically breaks down into HT (Home Theater) and Music. Do you just want to play music or do you want to included HT in your system. I'm guessing you want HT since you got a center channel speaker.

If you want music and home theater then you will need a A/V receiver and a DVD-Player. You can buy these seperate or you can sometimes find all-in-one units. I usually don't suggest Best Buy or Circuit City as places to learn about HT but you might want to go there and see some basic options. They "should" be able to get you a receiver and DVD player. For Receivers, look at brands like Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, and H/K for starters. For DVD players, stick with major brands. You can get a good DVD player well under $100 now. Remember, a DVD player will play music CDs but a CD player will not play DVDs so go with a DVD player.

As far as speaker wire goes, any standard speaker wire should do fine. Don't go smaller than 18ga. wire. Typical guages are 18ga, 16ga, 14ga, 12ga, and 10ga. 10ga is the thickest and 18 in the smallest and thus cheapest. Most speakers don't come with wire so the fact that your center channel is missing it is normal.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

JSE

Thread Information