Forum Regular

Wathing DVD with HK AVR630 questions????

I have an HK AVR630 with Polk Rti150's.....No other speakers. All this technology is driving my crazy. Here is the problem with this DVD. DVD player being used is a Phillips 795SA. Since I only have two speakers, on the DVD PLAYER system menu I selected 2 channel stereo. I have the 630 setup for only two speakers as well. Those familiar with the 630 know about the speaker indicator on the front showing which signals are being received by the speaker indicators on the front panel. I hope I am explaining this correctly. On this particular DVD I am not able to select 2.0 sound. But once I press the play button the 630 automatically detects the audio encoding and sets the sound to dolby digital. Once this happens the center, left surround, right surrond show up as well as the front left and right speaker indicators on the front display of the 630. The Left and Right speaker indicators have brackets around them but the others do not. Does this mean only the audio signal is being sent to them? If so why did the other speaker indicators show up when the DVD started playing? I try pushing the stereo button on the remote to switch to stereo only/surround off. Nothing happens. I then tried going to the OSD and doing it that way, but it will not let me. It just skips over the stereo selection. This is the first DVD I have had trouble with. The movie I am trying to watch is 'Unspeakable' from 2002 with Dennis Hopper.

When I go into the speaker setup of the 630 I still have only 2 speakers selected all the others are turned off. I guess my question is.....Am I listening to this in a 5.1 setup or have my selections all been correct and I am listening to this in a 2 channel environment like I want to despite the speaker indicators showing up on the front panel? I am also unable with this DVD to select Surround OFF on the 630.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason
    www.cajun-oil.com

Sounds like the receiver is telling you which channels are available. The brackets would indicate that only those channels are being used.

The other thing to keep in mind is the center can be down-mixed into the left and right to create a phantom center. In fact listening in Dolby Digital with only the Left anf Right selected will sound better than regular stereo. I ran an AVR 230 for a couple of weeks and it sounded great this way. Do not worry about this. Marantz receivers do this a well. Question is how does it sound ? It should sound like stereo but with some more punch.

Some people dont use center channels at all because they have really good main speakers that image really well.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Thank you for the reply. I did some more playing and found out everything was ok. I was just upset that with this particular DVD, the 630 would not let me turn off surround even though I concluded it was not on. Yes it did sound very good.

Thanks again,

Jason
    www.cajun-oil.com

another idea on this

If the HK receiver shows the speaker indicator without the brackets around it....this means the HK is using a phantom mode for these speakers....my guess is your HK is using their VMAX sound mode which simulates 5.1 from 2 speakers. I use a phantom center so the HK displays a 'C' for the speaker without the brakets to show it as a phantom speaker.

Make sure you set the default mode for the DVD input. Meaning, the OSD gives you a choice for a default setting for each input....so go to your DVD input and then set your desired sound format...ie PLII Movie or Neo 6:music...I don't think you can program the HK to play in 'surround off' mode because this mode completely bypasses the digital domain.
    So, if you have the DVD connected to the HK with either optical or coxial, then the HK will seek a surround format. Try to connect the DVD to HK using the red/white analog cables only and then set the sound format to 'surround off' mode. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminspuller
    I have an HK AVR630 with Polk Rti150's.....No other speakers. All this technology is driving my crazy. Here is the problem with this DVD. DVD player being used is a Phillips 795SA. Since I only have two speakers, on the DVD PLAYER system menu I selected 2 channel stereo. I have the 630 setup for only two speakers as well. Those familiar with the 630 know about the speaker indicator on the front showing which signals are being received by the speaker indicators on the front panel. I hope I am explaining this correctly. On this particular DVD I am not able to select 2.0 sound. But once I press the play button the 630 automatically detects the audio encoding and sets the sound to dolby digital. Once this happens the center, left surround, right surrond show up as well as the front left and right speaker indicators on the front display of the 630. The Left and Right speaker indicators have brackets around them but the others do not. Does this mean only the audio signal is being sent to them? If so why did the other speaker indicators show up when the DVD started playing? I try pushing the stereo button on the remote to switch to stereo only/surround off. Nothing happens. I then tried going to the OSD and doing it that way, but it will not let me. It just skips over the stereo selection. This is the first DVD I have had trouble with. The movie I am trying to watch is 'Unspeakable' from 2002 with Dennis Hopper.

When I go into the speaker setup of the 630 I still have only 2 speakers selected all the others are turned off. I guess my question is.....Am I listening to this in a 5.1 setup or have my selections all been correct and I am listening to this in a 2 channel environment like I want to despite the speaker indicators showing up on the front panel? I am also unable with this DVD to select Surround OFF on the 630.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

Thread Information