DIYaudiophilehack

DVD-A with regular dvd player/receiver?

I'm in the infancy of looking into multi-channel music and have searched around the net a bit and read many posts on this site. I've still got questions though. If anyone knows of an all encompassing FAQ that will answer all my questions, feel free to point me toward it.

1) Can dvd-a disc be played in standard dvd player?

2) Is the connection simply the digital out that goes to receiver?

3) Will standard HT receiver (Yammie rx-v450) reproduce the music?

4) If it all the above hold true, is it a 6 channel discrete reproduction or some form of processed sound similar to PLII?

I'd love to grab a dvd-a title and try it out but fear disappointment if it's incompatible with a standard HT set- up. I've not been that impressed with music cd's played through standard HT system set to PLII.

DVD-A discs can be played in any DVD player and will use the digital connection. However, doing this will just deliver the standard surround tracks and not the high resolution DVD-A tracks. All DVD-A's include a DD or DTS track that you can still listen to without a DVD-A capable player, and it's still pretty good. Nothing near the high res tracks, put pretty darn good still.

DIYaudiophilehack
    Thanks for the response. That confirms most of what I suspected. I may try it just to see what level of improvement there is over CD played through PLII. I think down the road a dedicated multi-format player is in order though.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Yes, and no

Quote Originally Posted by toenail
    I'm in the infancy of looking into multi-channel music and have searched around the net a bit and read many posts on this site. I've still got questions though. If anyone knows of an all encompassing FAQ that will answer all my questions, feel free to point me toward it.

1) Can dvd-a disc be played in standard dvd player?

2) Is the connection simply the digital out that goes to receiver?

3) Will standard HT receiver (Yammie rx-v450) reproduce the music?

4) If it all the above hold true, is it a 6 channel discrete reproduction or some form of processed sound similar to PLII?

I'd love to grab a dvd-a title and try it out but fear disappointment if it's incompatible with a standard HT set- up. I've not been that impressed with music cd's played through standard HT system set to PLII.

A DVD-A disk, while it will play in a standard DVD player, needs a DVD-A player to decode the hi-res signal. Your Receiver will also have to have 5.1 channel ANALOG inputs to accept the decoded signal. You will need 6 RCA cables to connect them. Although I have all of these, I choose to use my DVD-Audio player for strictly stereo. The 192khz/24bit DVD-A stereo signal is the highest rez of any of the available formats, and is also a lossless format, so you are getting everything that was originally on the recording.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

DIYaudiophilehack
    My receiver does have the correct inputs, but my cd player is crap and doesn't offer the outputs or decoding ability. It seems that these units are reasonably priced already and I may pursue a multi-format piece to replace my current set up.

AR Newbie Registered Member

I have the inputs, outputs, and decoders,but don't get DTS Tracks?

My dvd players has the analog outputs, which i have connected to my Onkyo reciever's 5.1 analog dvd inputs.

I also have the player connected to my receiver with a Digital Optical cable, which works fine.

But when i go to play my DVD-A Led Zepellin Disc, all i see are PCM selections. I set my input selector on my receiver to Analog and I can here the music, but i don't think i'm getting the DTS track....at least the receiver doesn't recognize the DTS signal. My DVD Player has this little message like it doesn't like the mix.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Sounds like your DVD player does not support DVD-A. Just because it has the 5.1 outputs does not mean it can decode the DVD-A track.

Plus, you should never get the DTS track using the 5.1 outs, since DTS is digital and the 5.1 out is analog. You'll get the DTS track only if using the optical connection, but it won't give you DVD-A.

well, it definitely supports DVD-A, that's why i bought it

Ahh, I see..well then if you're using the 5.1 analog outs and your receiver is set to accept the mulit-channel input, it should recognize a DVD-A automatically and play the correct track. You should not be seeing 'DTS' or 'Dolby Digital', I THINK it says 'LPCM' if I'm not mistaken....

Ahhhhhh, OK, this means that I am an idiot. I guess its working OK then. I was expecting my receiver to indicate it was getting a 6 channel audio signal.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Information