nightflier

HK 3480 & Sub-outs

I have a Harman Kardon HK3480 receiver connected to a Music Hall turntable, a pair of Polk speakers and a DefTech sub. I originally connected the speakers via the sub using the speaker inputs, but the receiver also has a sub out, so I thought I would try that. The problem is that originally I could adjust the cross-over via the sub, but now I can't set this via the receiver.

How does the receiver establish the cross-over level? Is this adjustable? I noticed that other similar receivers (Denon DRA-395) also have a sub-out. Do they have the same problem?

Forum Regular
    Which cross-over? High pass or low pass? It sounds like you are talking about the high pass crossover to the speakers. Unlike a HT receiver, the 2-channel ones usually have a fixed low-pass crossover (80 - 120Hz?) for the pre-amp outs. There is no crossover control for the main speakers. The speakers will get the full frequency range. This should not be a problem with most bookshelf speakers. Set the low-pass crossover on the sub to the -3db low frequency limit for your speakers. The transistion from your main speakers to the sub should be seamless.

nightflier

The HK does not have any adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    ...The speakers will get the full frequency range. This should not be a problem with most bookshelf speakers. Set the low-pass crossover on the sub to the -3db low frequency limit for your speakers. The transistion from your main speakers to the sub should be seamless.
    I'm not sure I follow. The HK receiver has no setting for a cross-over. On the HK surround sound (ARV) models, the cross-over can be set from 40-120Hz., so I was expecting this HK stereo receiver to have the same capability. But if I connect the sub to the RCA sub-outs on the receiver, there is nothing on the sub that I can adjust that has any effect. So I guess my question is, at what frequency does the receiver set the cross-over? If my speakers can go to ~45Hz., where does the sub take over?

Go to the HK site and

email them your question. They will tell you what the crossover is.

Forum Regular
    If my speakers can go to ~45Hz., where does the sub take over?
    The low-pass frequency for the sub-outs on your receiver is definitely higher than this. Set the crossover on your sub to 45Hz, or as close as possible (50Hz is often the lowest setting).

Thread Information