Thread: what brand

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question what brand

i am looking to spend $150-$250 on a center channel receiver for a home theater system i am piecing together.in that price range which is better infinity or polk?or should i look towards a different brand?

I assume you mean center channel speaker. In that case, I would suggest you go for the same make/family speaker that you use for your R/L mains. I'm a believer in timbre matching, and I ain't talkin' about wood grain either.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burne21
    i am looking to spend $150-$250 on a center channel receiver for a home theater system i am piecing together.in that price range which is better infinity or polk?or should i look towards a different brand?
    yes i meant center speaker.i dont have any othetr speakers,this is the 1st im buying.i also found some jbl cs series for a great price($120) and they are a 3 way speaker.what do you suggest?thaks for any input

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by burne21
    yes i meant center speaker.i dont have any othetr speakers,this is the 1st im buying.i also found some jbl cs series for a great price($120) and they are a 3 way speaker.what do you suggest?thaks for any input
    You should start with your main left and right speakers first. The receiver should be able to run in Phantom mode...which is basically using the main speakers to create a "make-believe" center speaker or creat an illusion that there is a center speaker. Many of these Phantom set-ups work quite well and better some center channels in certain ways.

Your budget is very low, but you may be able to swing a set of B&W DM 303s. One of the best speakers under $300.00US availbale. Later on you can add their center channel and a second set of 303s. Look for deals on them. They also have a matching sub which is supposed to be quite good and reasonably priced for a change(B&W often had overpriced underachieving subs but apparently they are trying to improve their rep.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/

JSE

Mains First!

Do not buy a center speaker first. That will just make you want to get the mains right away. Start with the mains, then the center (matching brand) and then the rears. You may want to try and save/spend a little more for the mains. As RGA mentioned, look at the B&W and other such as Polk, Infinity, Boston Acoustic, Mirage, Axiom, Klipsch, JBL, Athena, PSB, Paradigm, Etc. All of these makers produce some pretty good lower priced stuff just a bit outside of your current range. There are tons of other speaker makers, but these are some ones to start with. Go listen to them and buy what sounds good to you.

JSE

Forum Regular
    I just got the polks RTi4 for mains and athe CSi3 for the centre and I really enjoy them...but like mentioned ....buy your mains first...check with dealers they may have demos or last year models much cheaper...and make sure your speakers are timbre matched...I believe in this as well...good luck....and most of all have fun..it shouldnt be a headache most of all trust your ears you're the one who will listen to the system day in day out.

I agree with all the posters--get your main speakers first, then add the center and surrounds as budget allows. Infinity makes pretty good low end speakers. Try the entra series--which stands for entrance level speakers. They use the same material in these speakers as they do in their more expensive ones. I don't prefer the sound of polk speakers. If you can afford it, take the b&w-a sure bet.

Thread Information