Thread: Hdtv Finally!!

Talking Hdtv Finally!!

I can lay claim as did Matthew bodine did in Full Metal Jacket " I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirm kill." I can say I am the first home owner in San Bernadino, CA to have HDTV (Beta Tester for Aldelphia Cable) YA HOOO!!!! Only have 3 channels now KABC, KNBC & LOCAL PBS, but now I can show my wife why I brought this Mit's (WS 55805) 3 years ago. I will keep you folks posted
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular

A hearty congrats!!!

I've had HD for over a year now and I'm still stunned by it almost daily. I might add that it's a great time to be on the cutting edge as we are seeing a big spike in the level of programming offered by most of the networks.

Although it's good that you have ABC, you will most definitely want to pressure your provider to add CBS as soon as possible...they are without a doubt the leader in the HDTV format.

It's a brave new world...enjoy it!!

Forum Regular

congrats

Last week on the PBS they showed farmaid in 5.1 DD wow I could even stand Willie Nelson

Forum Regular

Couldn't agree more...

Quote Originally Posted by Over50
    Last week on the PBS they showed farmaid in 5.1 DD wow I could even stand Willie Nelson
    I caught Dave Mathews at Farm Aid the other night and was VERY impressed (it prompted me to buy the CD). I actually try to catch PBS's "Soundstage" whenever I can...the DD audio is phenomenal (I compare it to my Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD) and the picture quality is stunning. Certainly a great way to see some of the best music performers give live performances! The only problem here is that the Detroit PBS station has a pretty poor on-line schedule so I usually catch a performance when I'm flipping through the channels. It's always a pleasant surprise though!

Forum Regular

Unhappy Pbs

Quote Originally Posted by Keith from Canada
    I caught Dave Mathews at Farm Aid the other night and was VERY impressed (it prompted me to buy the CD). I actually try to catch PBS's "Soundstage" whenever I can...the DD audio is phenomenal (I compare it to my Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD) and the picture quality is stunning. Certainly a great way to see some of the best music performers give live performances! The only problem here is that the Detroit PBS station has a pretty poor on-line schedule so I usually catch a performance when I'm flipping through the channels. It's always a pleasant surprise though!

PBS is the worst of the few channels I have, The picture comes in very pixeled, but the few moments its clear WOW. Quick question: NBC comes in 4:3 mode and ABC gives me a Blackbar on the right side of picture but PBS is full 16x9. Can anyone clue me in on this situation?
    or is this normal
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Talking answer

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    PBS is the worst of the few channels I have, The picture comes in very pixeled, but the few moments its clear WOW. Quick question: NBC comes in 4:3 mode and ABC gives me a Blackbar on the right side of picture but PBS is full 16x9. Can anyone clue me in on this situation?
    or is this normal
    I may have found the answer to my own question. I came home last from a Xmas party and turned on Leno (NBC). The Picture was full 16x9. I figure it must be the difference of SDTV and HDTV. Any non full HDTV will transmitt in 4:3 mode. I will test my theory tonight on ABC (Saturday Night Movie showing in HDTV) and see if the Bar on the right side is gone.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Talking HDTV Finally!

I may have found the answer to my own question. I came home last from a Xmas party and turned on Leno (NBC). The Picture was full 16x9. I figure it must be the difference of SDTV and HDTV. Any non full HDTV will transmitt in 4:3 mode. I will test my theory tonight on ABC (Saturday Night Movie showing in HDTV) and see if the Bar on the right side is gone.
    Just finish watching the ABC Saturday night Movie "Home for Xmas" came in full 16x9, no black bar on rightside, and 5.1 sound.

I am starting to see the difference in the 720p and full 1080i, ABC broadcast in 720p and PBS is full 1080i. The 720p is a great picture, but full 1080i is just jaw dropping WOW. The cable company is working on the PBS feed and the picture is just getting better. Can't wait for Monday night Football (READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!) The Target golf match look good for a SDTV mode, wish it was in HDTV.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Talking Hdtv

Just finish watching the ABC Saturday night Movie "Home for Xmas" came in full 16x9, no black bar on rightside, and 5.1 sound.

I am starting to see the difference in the 720p and full 1080i, ABC broadcast in 720p and PBS is full 1080i. The 720p is a great picture, but full 1080i is just jaw dropping WOW. The cable company is working on the PBS feed and the picture is just getting better. Can't wait for Monday night Football (READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!) The Target golf match look good for a SDTV mode, wish it was in HDTV.
    Just finish watching the first half of the Monday night Football game and all I can say is WOW, looks like Box seats from my living room and broadcast in 5.1. As I'm typing this in the next room I can just hear the crowd noise and the low voice of the annoncer just like at a real stadium standing on the outside. The picture was so good my wife sat down and watch for a while. Thats impressivse!!!!!!!!!!!
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular

Hdtv

Glad to hear that you're getting the most out of your HDTV experience! I have to agree that football and other live sporting events are where it's at when it come to HD. I've watched football, hockey, baseball and basketball in this format and each one has been phenomenal. There is a reason that they say that the success of HD is linked to its use of live sporting events.

Keep watching and enjoying...oh yeah, be sure to pressure your broadcaster to pick-up CBS-HD...CSI Miami is a real sight to behold!

Thread Information