Thread: Forums

Forum Regular

Forums

I read in some posts that a few regulars that used to post here moved to a different forum like audioholics or something like that. I am pretty new here but why did those people leave. Is there a story here? What is the difference between here and audioholics or whatever forum they went to?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Yes it's true

Quote Originally Posted by tpcounty
    I read in some posts that a few regulars that used to post here moved to a different forum like audioholics or something like that. I am pretty new here but why did those people leave. Is there a story here? What is the difference between here and audioholics or whatever forum they went to?

There were a few members who left when the rules changed.There are guidelines now, and moderators, like me.

For some of the people who left It's a shame, as they really enjoyed this place, and left before they even saw how little the rules affected thier posts. What we have now here is a lot more civilized. People don't get flamed, and your able to post your opinions without fear of getting rebuked. The Forums are a much nicer place since this has happend.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I agree with Geoff. There was a problem with trolls for awhile that went unchecked and they chased a few people off and there was a problem with a few members that would immediately challenge anyone's experience as unreliable or flat-out untrue without support of DBT's and white papers. That act got real old, real fast. Some left because they didn't like the thought of the site being moderated when the truth is the moderators are pretty much invisible and only intervene when someone is blatantly being an a$$hole.

While I miss some of the um..."debates" (which you view with the same curiosity of a car wreck), the site is a far better place with the trolls and haters under rein.

At least one of the moderaters saw fit to simply delete posts that he didn't like. Having the power to delete posts he didn't agree with was too much of a temptation for him.
    Rather than openly discuss his objections, he would simply delete posts on the pretext that they were against forum rules.

Granted, he was the exception but, when his deletions started occuring with regularity and impunity, it became apparant that two sides of an issue could no longer be aired here.

When this forum appeared to be changing from an open forum where two sides could be discussed to a forum where only one side of an argument was allowed, many people fled this site to others where it's commonly recognized that there are two sides to an argument and simply repressing one is not a viable option.

Subsequently, management got wise to the sitution and that renegade moderater lost his position and, I believe, was demoted to simply another citizen but he hasn't posted on the board since.

But, by that time a great many former regulars fled this galaxy for another.
    The jury is still out on how this will play out in the long run but I, myself, find I post more on the other sites and less here nowadays. Plus, http://www.audioholics.com has some greatgeneral information articles and much information available in a FAQ format

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

This is not what happened at all

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    At least one of the moderaters saw fit to simply delete posts that he didn't like. Having the power to delete posts he didn't agree with was too much of a temptation for him. Rather than openly discuss his objections, he would simply delete posts on the pretext that they were against forum rules.
    The thread in question is one in which there was a lot of forum violations. The only reason that I didn't intervene is that the moderator in question was involved in the thread.
    Granted, he was the exception but, when his deletions started occuring with regularity and impunity, it became apparant that two sides of an issue could no longer be aired here.
    No, it became apparent that he was having a problem not becoming emotionally involved in his job.

When this forum appeared to be changing from an open forum where two sides could be discussed to a forum where only one side of an argument was allowed, many people fled this site to others where it's commonly recognized that there are two sides to an argument and simply repressing one is not a viable option.
    Now your way off base. First, the people who left, left long before this fight took place.
    Second, there's nobody who's not allowed to argue a position here. It's when you start calling other people stupid, deaf, or delusional that things get cut.
    Subsequently, management got wise to the sitution and that renegade moderater lost his position and, I believe, was demoted to simply another citizen but he hasn't posted on the board since.
    The leaving was a mutual thing. He wasn't demoted, or promoted. I don't think of myself as "promoted" because I'm a moderator.

But, by that time a great many former regulars fled this galaxy for another.
    The jury is still out on how this will play out in the long run but I, myself, find I post more on the other sites and less here nowadays.
    Again, way off base. We have hundreds upon hundreds of members in the AR Forums, more now than ever. The jury is NOT out, these forums are BETTER than they ever were. If you choose to post more on another forum that is your choice.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Along with AudioHolics

there is also

AudioCircle

AudioAsylum

AudioKarma

DIYaudio

just ta name a few

take care...and have fun!

enjoy the music!

Whatever...

Here's a link to a thread at Audioholics that pretty much sums up the chronology of this fiasco.

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4139

Thread Information