Forum Regular

Yamaha RX-V650 Vs HTR-5760

Can anyone tell me the differences between these 2 recievers and which one would be better.
    I can buy either one with no more than a 10 dollar difference between the 2.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-V650.htm
    Vs
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR-5760.htm

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Pretty much identical....the RX-V line "might" have a higher re-sale value I suppose, in a few years, since it used to be the more "premium" line of receivers.
    The only real difference is the faceplate. The HTR has a cool Denon like gold font on black, the RX-V has the simple, classic black on white look...the buttons and knobs look a bit different too...negligible for all intents and purposes.

I'd go with the unit from the place that will offer you better service AFTER the sale, all thing equal, even if that means paying $10-$20 more.

BTW, excellent choice, these 2 units get my vote as current "Best Value" in A/V receivers.
    My neighbour has one, nice little unit. Makes me regret splurging on the RX-V1400.
    Cheers!

Forum Regular

re

Well Kexo, the only real diff i was able to tell between them was having to do with zone 2 output, however I don't know about that particular feature to know which is better in that reguard or even if i need it.

The HTR-5760 has zone 2 as well...I think they call it Zone B.
    I just did a quick cut and past comparison of the docs and the only changes were the model numbers...otherwise word for word the same.
    This is subject to error on my part but I'm very certain these units are the same mechanically.
    Zone 2 is nice if you will run speakers in another room, I guess. If not don't even worry about it.

a hell of an engineer
    The difference is the distribution channel. The Yamaha RX-V series is sold through audio specialty retailers and only carries a factory warranty if bought from such a retailer (not online). The Yamaha HTR series is sold through mass market, mail order and online retailers and carries the factory warranty when bought through these channels.

DIYaudiophilehack
    The Yamaha website addresses the difference between RXV and HTR in their FAQ section. Bargainseeker summed it up well. I believe they also rate output differently by using a different measuring procedure. Still the same unit with the same output though.

Guys, don't get ahead of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by toenail
    The Yamaha website addresses the difference between RXV and HTR in their FAQ section. Bargainseeker summed it up well. I believe they also rate output differently by using a different measuring procedure. Still the same unit with the same output thouGuys, don't get ahead of yourselfgh.
    Yamaha makes no claims that HTR and RXV lines are all identical...in fact, quite often it is the case that the RX-V line retains 1 or 2 features just to keep the specialty dealers happy. Last year, most HTR units didn't have pre-outs for example, something I could never accept.
    I believe the HTR-5640 is also without pre-outs. There are some other differences quite often.
    In this particular case, the HTR-5760 and RX-V650 are identical.

DIYaudiophilehack
    This is what Yamaha has to offer on the subject. It is from the FAQ section on their website.

"What Is The Difference Between The RX-V Line And The HTR Line?

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units.

There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality metal front panel construction.

The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail.

All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty."

Forum Regular
    Well i'm not sure what the differences are, but if you look at the back panel of both you'll notice there are very very slight differences. The RX model has 1-2 extra things, and I'm trying to decide if I should justify the extra 10 dollars for those 2 things, or if i'll even need or use them.
    Take a look at both back panels and tell me what the difference is, they both sport almost identical connections but the RX model has something different.
    To be more specific, look at the zone 2 part of the back panels and compare them, I do also know that the RX has a front panel digital input and the HTR doesn't but I don't really care about that.

Again, Ryan, unless you plan on running a signal (CD, DVD player, etc) to a 2nd amplifier in another room ,the zone 2 out feature probably isn't a big deal for you. And you can still run the zone 2 off the receiver's zone 2 speaker outputs, just not off a second amplifier.

Here's a good rule of thumb, if you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it.

Do you anticipate having all of your speaker in 1 room? If so, don't worry about this feature.

Forum Regular
    Ahhh, I had figured that was what it was for but was not sure. And I go by the old saying, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Prior military, and you learn to live by that saying.
    *edit*
    Meant to add that I appreciate the clarification bro, and will probably go with the HTR from a company on ebay that I've done business with before with very satisfactory results.

[QUOTE=Ryanm] And I go by the old saying, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Prior military, and you learn to live by that saying.
    QUOTE]

Them's good words to live by...my old man spent 35 years in the military by them rules...
    They work great when there's no cost involved. Problem is in this hobby, you can "need extra features" yourself into bankruptcy pretty quick.
    The manufacturers, marketing teams, and salespeople are pretty good at letting us know that we need expensive brand name cables without providing any substantial evidence of their practical merits...
    The HTR 5760 is super unit, I'm sure you'll be imressed...what speakers are you running with that?

Forum Regular
    Keep in mind I'm not trying to spend $2000+ on a home theatre system but these are what I have bought or will buy in the next couple of weeks:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...nents_Speakers (heard good things about them, got them off ebay and was really impressed by the clarity of the center and surrounds)
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...nents_Speakers (did a side by side comparison of these and some athena's similarly priced from Best Buy, and I liked the sony's better and will be getting them from the same company off of ebay that I got the center from for about $200 for the pair, not to mention they've gotten some really good reviews from various places on the net)
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...nents_Speakers ( these have gotten so so reviews, but I figure they'll do for the back channels, and I'm trying to basically stay with the same type of speakers all around)
    Bass duties are being handled by an RCA 12 inch 200 watt rms sub that I got from radio shack for about $150. (I've heard a lot about velodyne etc, but I'm not spending $500 on an 8 inch sub)

I learned a long time ago never to pass judgement based on a person's gear.
    I'm sure that'll be a fine system for you.
    I'm a little surprised that you felt those Sony's sounded better than the Athenas...I've heard both, and the Athena's are very high on my list of $300 and below speakers. Especially the AS-B1's ($100 per pair new on ebay right now, buy 2 pairs get free shipping). I don't close the door to the possibility, but I do know the Athenas are incredibly good performers in that price range and highly regarded by most magazines and reviewers.
    You can usually find other Athenas really cheap on ebay too.

You're getting a really good receiver. I think you owe it to yourself to go check out a few more speakers if you haven't already purchased. Try the Athenas again too. Best Buy isn't the best place to test them out because of the atmosphere, room dimensions, etc. I must admit, the Sonys impressed me when I heard them, they're not the usual junk Sony was putting out for years.
    Just make sure you spend the most time on picking out speakers, they'll make the biggest impact on sound quality in your system.

As for subwoofers...I have not heard a subwoofer that is a better value than the Parts Express Dayton MKIII.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-760&DID=7

It would require you putting it together (which is easy, fun, and wouldn't take 1 hour), and it'll easily compete with commercial subs costing double!!! I'm not exaggerating. Check out some the other threads here about the Pe Dayton MKIII. The 12" is even better.
    Rather than see you throw away your money on a RCA 12" sub that I'm fairly confident isn't going to keep you happy for very long, you'd be better off to purchase your system in stages, saving up money as needed, and getting a decent sub when you can. Trust me on this, I know from experience!!! ...Dozens of guys here will tell you this too.

In the end if you're still confident about your choices, go with what YOU like. Just some suggestions from a guy who spends too much time around this stuff!

Forum Regular
    I already have the sub, bought it last year. Should have mentioned that. And quite honestly you'd be surprised, the thing packs a punch, and when it's sat in the right spot in the room (changed my living room around once and had to move the sub from where it sat, and couldn't get it to sound right in other spots in the room) it fills the room with bass when appropriate. I have what I concider a test of good balance on a surround sound system, the beginning part of lilo and stitch the opening song has good highs good mids and punchy bass as well as sustained bass. If I set my system up and it sounds good with that, then it'll sound good with just about any movie. I have other movies to test surround with, Escaflowne the movie, From hell, SW:episode 2. Though honestly I haven't heard any movies in DTS.
    Basically I made a mistake several years ago when I went reciever hunting and knew a lot less then than I know now about surround sound systems, and got a technics reciever that supported 5.1 and surround sound but didn't have true built in decoders. Once I read a lot more about it and learned that I was lacking true decoders, I went to circuit city and bought a 5 disc panasonic dvd changer that had a built in dolby digital decoder, and output DTS but didn't have a decoder for DTS. Now that I'm a lot wiser to surround sound than I once was, I had plans to get an Onkyo TX-NR801, but procrastinated a lot on getting it and recently did another search, I wanted 7.1 and the ability to decode just about every surround sound format that currently existed. I of course looked at the Onkyo again, but found the yamaha systems by accident. Coulpled with the fact that the system will practically set itself up with yapo (yea i know i'll probably have to fine tune) and it was 400 cheaper than the onk with all the same options minus ethernet hookup and thx certification and it seemed like a no brainer.
    So as of right now its:
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR-5760.htm
    and
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...tGroupId=11059 (buying this in the next couple of weeks)
    and the sony center/surrounds, and the RCA 12" sub
    As for the Athena Vs Sony, the sony's just sounded warmer. Admittedly Best Buy doesn't have the best setup to listen to differing speakers, but the Athena's came off as muffled for some reason, and the bass seemed punchier on the sony's given the test conditions /shrug.

You know what sounds best to you...don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Once in awhile huge brands like RCA and Sony actually find small outfits to design and build speakers for them. Occasionally, they produce a real winner in terms of value/performance. Then you see their Home Theater In a Box stuff and it makes you wonder.
    I'll have to take a look at that Panny DVD unit. I anticipate buying a more expensive higher quality one maybe in a year or two if I feel the formats stick around. For now I just want something to cheap to play the discs.

Forum Regular
    Fyi, I have the HTR5760 and like it A LOT! It was odd, the retailer I bought it from had the 650 for $50 more! I was able to get the 5760 (floor model) really cheap, but even if I paid more it would be worth it. I was powering my Mirage speakers with a cheap older Sony stereo receiver and couldn't believe the difference when I hooked everything up to the 5760!!

Remember to use the YPAO option- it's amazing- especially if you're not into SPL meters and that kinda stuff. Only takes about 5 minutes, too!

The only challenging thing for me is learning about all the darn options!! That's why you probably see posts on here from me if I don't understand the manual.

Anyway, enjoy!!

Enjoy the weekend, guys!
    Eric

Forum Regular
    I was pretty amazed with the RCA sub myself. My friends HTIB from rca isn't all that great. I plan on buying a HTIB system for my parents, and will be doing a lot of listening to different ones get them something decent but nothing crazy. As far as the panny DVD player is concerned, I was looking for a dvd changer (nothing worse than renting a bunch of movies on friday and having to get up and change them out after each one is done, instead of hitting a button on the remote and watching the next one). I figure DVD audio might stick around given DVD's popularity so wanted to give that a try. I also had a changer from panny that wouldn't play my cdr's .. so had to get one that would play cdr's mp3 etc. And finally it was a tossup between the pana and a toshiba with almost the exact same features, but it's got silver accents and I'm wanting an all black player, not to mention I'm not sure how much staying power SACD has as a format plus prior exp with panasonic (the on screen display on my old one was amazing) is why i'm going with the panasonic.

Thread Information