Suspended

Does Nine Pair beat a Full Deck?

I love getting surprise disks in the mailbox. Specialy disks that rock most of the way through. I'm pretty sure I am not the only recipient of Nine Pair that Troy painstakenly put together, but I don't recall seeing anyone post about it.

First off it would have been just a little bit better if it were Eight Pair instead of Nine. I'm sure your thinking it is because of the first 2 songs by Burt & Herb.....NOT. I actually liked those two. Funny how Mrs Hyfi thought I put on a nice disk for dinner......until I warned her things were about to change.
    What a suttle change morphing into Adrian Belew. Cool stuff reminding me a little of KCs Beat and Discipline. Who does the bass here?

Now comes the two tracks I could do without. Don't know why but I just don't like XTC. Maybe they are too bubble gum for me. Have yet to hear them sound different from thier signiture sound.

And just when I think I've got my **** together........This is cool. Mike Keneally.....Is this how all his music is? Great offbeat tunes.

Up next...David Byrne.....he's so crazy sometimes. Makes ya tap your foot even on a crappy PC. He also has way more music than I am aware of. Is this from the same disk? Any recs on his solo work like these?

King Crimson....what year? It does retain some of thier older sound. Me likes this too.

Mitchell Froom.....never heard of him....don't even recall seeing him on past Designshed releases. Liked this also on the first spin. I'd Better Not trys to mix old sound with new and kinda gets away with it.

Starlight Mints....only heard a few tracks by them on past comps. The first track Buena Vista sort of sounds like one of Zappa's bands without his guitar.

Grandaddy...after seeing lots of talk here I was interested but now as I listen to it again while writing this, I think I like the XTC better. Just not my mug of Ale.

Thats not bad Troy, having way more winners than losers on a surprise package. Thanks again for turning me on to great music I am missing. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do when I get back on my feet.

Hyfi

Most recipients didn't dig that disc. It was done mainly as a segue experiment. Can Herb Alpert really segue smoothly into Adrian Belew? I wanted to see. Bacharach is so undervalued . . .

You don't have to like XTC. I don't get why ya don't, but that's ok.

That Keneally guy, you either love him or hate him. Most seem to hate him. I think he's just too weird, too varied for most people. Those tracks are from his album "Dancing" and are actually pretty normal by comparison. That disc covers a lot of stylistic ground. Hope you take a chance on it someday.

The David Byrne tracks are from his "Uh-Oh" album. Picks up where TH's "Naked" left off. Great party album.

The KC track "People" is from Thrak and the other one is a b-side from the new album. It's hard to believe that a band that formed in the late 60s may actually be at it's creative peak in 2003, but there it is.

Mitchell Froom is most well known as a producer for Elvis Costello, Crowded House, Susan Vega, Los Lobos and many others. He put out an all star cast album called Dopamine a few years ago and to me, it has a 90s Tom Waits sorta gritty urbanity. I like it a lot.

No on the Grandaddy too, eh? (scratches head) I thought you'd like that . . . but then again, I think more people would liek the Keneally stuff too . . .

Glad the disc found a good home.

Forum Regular
    This comp is like most comps.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G

Dave
    Ever the master of understatement, is Dave.

Nice farting duck, there buddy.

Suspended

Dave
    Sorry. I thought you may get annoyed at a little comp talk. Hey, at least I'm not whining.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Nice farting duck, there buddy.
    LOL! Is that what that was?!?

Hey, at least it's music-related.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    I KNEW I could fire you guys up with that comment, and it worked!

LOL!!!!

Dave

Suspended
    I KNEW I could fire you guys up with that comment, and it worked!

LOL!!!!

Dave

I was actually refering to the comments you made at AA

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I was actually refering to the comments you made at AA

Hmmm.

What did I say, what did I say?

My fave Troy comps are the ones he did years ago with that killer artwork on that thick ass cardboard stock.

THOSE were the definitive comps, mainly prog. Hell yeth!

Dave

Hmmm.

What did I say, what did I say?

My fave Troy comps are the ones he did years ago with that killer artwork on that thick ass cardboard stock.

THOSE were the definitive comps, mainly prog. Hell yeth!

Dave
    So it's all about the artwork on the thick cardboard stock?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    So it's all about the artwork on the thick cardboard stock?

Nope.

The combo of prog with great artwork on thick cardboard stock.

I don't dig all those other weird as flikka musics.

Dave

Thread Information