Forum Regular

Y cable and an increase of 6 dbls

My sub indicates I should use a Y cable...the other day i posted and received replies stating I dont need the y cable....but the sub manual says yes so does audioholics.....they state it should increase by 6 dbls.....is this alot?? when I do the test tone off the receiver the sub is bearly audible...why would this be. When listening to music or movies its very there...by chance do you guys know if I can download off the net a test CD..if yes wich ones ???

Thanks...and sorry for all the posts just got new gear and I want to make ure it's set up properly.

I'm curious...

It seems you prefer the advice of others. If so, why repost here? Why not ask their input?

Forum Regular
    It's not that at all.....I like to get as much feedback as possible and at that time I will choose what I think is best! Your post is uncalled for as I never said I was biased to certain ways!! my main question was will 6dbls make a big difference.

They made the claims.

Let them explain their rationale.

Personally, I don't see where a "Y" connector makes much of a difference on a well designed sub.

Oh, one more thing.

You can pick up a "Y" connector at RatShack for about $3.

Why not try it for yourself and put an end to this?

Forum Regular
    neither do I as it works great the way it is....I just wonder why would they design it to accomadate a Y cable..and I want was is best for the system in terms of what will make it perform the best

Now you're asking a real question.

"I just wonder why would they design it to accomadate a Y cable"

It wasn't. It was designed so those with 2 channel STEREO systems could use it as well, generally between their preamp and power amps.

It's easier to split a single channel into two oututs than it is to combine two channels into one input.

There ARE some subs out there with only one input, which would be fine for your HT's LFE output, but totally useless to a 2 channel STEREO owner.

Forum Regular
    Thanks it helps make things more clear...and Pardon me for my ignorance as I am new to the passion of HT...i have owned HTIB previously but never really cared....so I appreciate all info and opinions provided

Forum Regular
    sorry I meant to add that now that I own a good system Not htib i appreciate all the info

Forum Regular

Talking It worked for me.

I was woundering about this when I got my Cerwin Vega LW-10. My Sony STR-DE845 reciever had a place to run two subs. But it only had one RCA for each. My sub had a left and right input. I went to Radio Shack and bought a "Y" and started playing. I could tell there was a noticeable difference with the "Y" installed. I can't say this will work in every case. But, it did for mine.

~C.C.~

The Y-jack will boost your output level simply because you've now connected both the left and right subwoofer inputs. They both feed into the same place, so having both inputs active is effectively increasing the signal level since the Y-jack splitter does not reduce the line level when the signal gets split. It's not that expensive to give it a try if you want, but I generally prefer to keep the signal path as straight as possible.

As far as your other inquiries ... a 6 db gain roughly increases your sound level by about half, so it is pretty sizable. You really don't need that kind of boost unless you're maxing out the level adjustment on both your subwoofer and your receiver, and the output level is still too low.

If you're using a test tone with your subwoofer, you need to use it to match the output level with your main speakers. Your subwoofer should have a volume level control, and your receiver should also have adjustments for the subwoofer output level as well.

Sounds to me like you really need to go down to either Radio Shack or Sears and pick up a SPL meter. With the SPL meter, use a wideband test tone on your main speakers and set the level somewhere around 75 to 85 db. Then, switch your main speakers off and play that test tone through the subwoofer at the same volume. Now, you adjust the subwoofer volume level on the unit itself so that it matches whatever level you measured with your mains (some on this board recommend that you set the subwoofer about 4 db higher than the mains).

That should get you started. A lot of other posts on this board will recommend steps to take to improve the quality of the bass.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 12-10-2003 at 12:28 PM.

Forum Regular

"Y" cable will increase sound by 3dB

You can get the gain either by using the cable, or turning the gain (volume) control up on the subwoofer 3dB. The second option is cheaper (you are not increasing the performance "envelope" of the woofer, just increasing the amount of signal going in with the "Y"), but if the "Y" adapter makes you feel better, go for it.

Enjoy
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular
    Well, the reason I decided to use the "Y" is because I could lower the sub and reciever levels.

~C.C.~

Forum Regular

mine came with the Y

I bought a Monster Cable 201 in '97 and
    it came with the Y cable in the box.

I thought all sub cables came with one till
    last weekend when I was helping a friend
    pick one out for his new system. At first we used a normal
    Video cable from RatShack. But the sub didn't have
    much effect.
    Then I realized my sub cable
    at home had the Y so I thought that this
    was the reason why my friends sub sucked.

After reading this thread... I wonder if its not the
    absence of the Y cable... maybee its because
    we plugged the video cable into the mono jack
    on the sub?

Forum Regular

Cool update on my Y cable

Well I went out and bought one they had an opened pack so I paid 2 $ for it...it's shielded and gold plated.....I also bought a open pack AR sub cable..the audio cable I was using was very cheap. I went home hooked it up with the Y cable and .........well didnt notice a thing !!!! thank god I only paid 2$ for the Ycable....now I was doing some reading my sub manual says to use the Y cable if my receiver is unfiltered (subout) I searched through the manual of my kenwood receiver and it doest say... by using the Y cable I can access the lowpass (or was it high) filter on the sub. By not knowing if my receiver is filtered or not not sure which way....but so far I have decided just to hooke up the sub cable and no Y cable as like may of you said I wouldnt notice a difference.

thanks for all the info

as for the last post...you used a video cable and not audio...would that have made the difference ????

Thread Information