Thread: Degauss

Forum Regular

Degauss

Can you degauss a tv tube? I have a 9 year old Sony 27" TV that has some discolration in the upper right corner of the screen. On a blue background it looks like a slightly yello/green smudge in the corner. I am assuming I must have had a magnetic source of some sort come near that corner. Or is this an indicator of somethng else?

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    degaussing may help if it was indeed caused by a magnetic source. It's not incredibly hard to do, although I don't know what a tech would charge to do it. Then again, it's 9 years old, a comparable model probably would cost a lot less than this one did originally.

Red face My old Mitsubishi....

35-inch mankiller had instructions for degaussing. It involved turning the TV in a certain direction till the discoloration disappered and turning it off and on once and moving it back into position or perhaps I had to unplug it. I don't remember. If you can find the manual online or have it, check and see if there's a procedure to degauss the thing.

Da Worfster

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by tpcounty
    Can you degauss a tv tube? I have a 9 year old Sony 27" TV that has some discolration in the upper right corner of the screen. On a blue background it looks like a slightly yello/green smudge in the corner. I am assuming I must have had a magnetic source of some sort come near that corner. Or is this an indicator of somethng else?
    I degauss my TV tube using a cassette deck head degausser. It's nothing but a simple mains operated coil.

Thread Information