AR Newbie Registered Member

2 Quick question on Athena S.5

First, what's the difference between the Athena AS-B1/B-2 and the S.5?

Second. The room with the system in question is small and temporary so I am not going crazy but I still want something nice. I have Athena AS-B2's for my front speakers and a pair of Yamaha's for the rear running off a Yamaha RX-V640. Out of necessity the rears have to be mounted so size is a factor. How much would I benefit upgrading the rear Yamahas to Athena S.5's. I also have a Yamaha sub and getting a Athena c5 center.

Thanks for any advise.

Forum Regular
    hi i have the s.5's

personally with my experience of listening to them i would spend the extra money on the asb1's or 2"s they take a fair bit of power but if u like to turn it up like me they do distort. "i got a yammy amp as well"

as well as the c.5 centre i dont like this centre at all it distorts very easily at around 3/4 volume. but it makes sense it is a small centre. i would spend the bit more for the asc1 centre for that as well. im going to be upgrading to the asc1 shortly.

but if its just casual listening they do sound good, maybe a bit bright but if youve got a good subwoofer there good.

if you do a A/B test with the s.5"s and the asb1"s or 2"s the AS "audition series" will easily out power and out perform.

good luck

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I wanted to go with the s.5 due to the size. I needed to hang them on the wall. I will be re-arranging the will be so I now have the availability to use floor stands. I will be going with another pair of as-b2. They are a bit big for the room but amazon.com has the for 145.00 a pair shipped which is cheaper than I can find the b1's. I will also be going with the audition center. Thanks for the adivise.

Forum Regular
    I will be slowly upgrading to the AS line in the future, first up is the centre, then most likely the sub then some asf2's and asb2 for the rears.

the s.5 are great speakers but they dont compare to the AS line. so my advice is if it is possible to spend the extra and get them do it. other wise you will be like me and spend even more going from the s.5's to the AS line.

good luck.

Thread Information